Dell Latitude CPx battery/freezing issues

  • vbhatiav
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2004
      Hello,

      I have redhat 7.2 installed on my laptop (kernal 2.4.x). The problem
      is that the battery dies after 5-10 minutes. It has a lithium
      Ion...supposed to last like 5 hours or so. Also my laptop freezes if
      left on for about 9 hours. It used to be less than that before I ran
      xset and having the laptop lcd suspended. And since I can only run
      xset when I have X running, laptop freezes in a shorter amount of
      time when I don't have X running. Any ideas??
    • Mike Kupfer
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2004
        vbhatiav <vbhatiav@...> wrote:

        > I have redhat 7.2 installed on my laptop (kernal 2.4.x). The problem
        > is that the battery dies after 5-10 minutes. It has a lithium
        > Ion...supposed to last like 5 hours or so.

        Yes, the batteries I got with my Latitude CPx last a couple hours, at
        least. I've only pushed them to the edge once, because I read somewhere
        that doing so degrades the battery life.

        > Also my laptop freezes if left on for about 9 hours. It used to be
        > less than that before I ran xset and having the laptop lcd
        > suspended. And since I can only run xset when I have X running, laptop
        > freezes in a shorter amount of time when I don't have X running. Any
        > ideas??

        I'm not sure what you mean by freezing, or exactly which xset option
        you're using. So I'll assume (for no good reason :-)) that your
        problems have something to do with power consumption.

        I think there is a command-line program that you can invoke to suspend
        the computer. (But I'm spacing on the name of it.)

        And I think you can adjust the display intensity (enter Setup when
        booting).

        HTH,
        mike