Re: [linux-dell-laptops]Unbootable Dell Inspiron 8200

  • David Amundson
    Message 1 of 16 , May 5, 2004
      Thanks, Gus, and those of you who made good suggestions. In fact I did try the Linux boot (and the Win98 boot), but a local repairman said the lack of response [first pair of idiot lights only most of the time, then an occasional flicker from the charging system (third pair of idiot lights) and an occasional glow from the middle pair] suggested hardware failure as the problem (i.e., I probably need a new motherboard). So it goes.
      Message 2 of 16 , May 5, 2004
        So you weren't able to get into a bios/cmos screen at all? Yeah, that's
        bad. -- d

      • Richard Belshoff
        Message 3 of 16 , May 5, 2004
          The ac power adapter on my I8200 is becoming frayed right at the point
          where it plugs into the laptop, and is starting to short out every now
          and then, and so it sometimes switches over to battery power even when
          it's plugged into the wall outlet. I think I'm going to have to order
          another ac power adapter before this one wears out entirely.

          I know this has nothing to do with linux ,but I was just wondering:
          Has anyone else had this problem?

          Richard.
        • Chris Mauricio
          Message 4 of 16 , May 5, 2004
            My I2100 did the same thing at the strain relief widget- I called Dell
            support, explained the problem, they sent me a new PS next day ( 3 Year NBD
            onsite service... YMMV )

            On Wednesday 05 May 2004 11:37, Richard Belshoff wrote:
            > The ac power adapter on my I8200 is becoming frayed right at the point
            > where it plugs into the laptop, and is starting to short out every now
            > and then, and so it sometimes switches over to battery power even when
            > it's plugged into the wall outlet. I think I'm going to have to order
            > another ac power adapter before this one wears out entirely.
            >
            > I know this has nothing to do with linux ,but I was just wondering:
            > Has anyone else had this problem?
            >
            > Richard.

          • Kenneth Crudup
            Message 5 of 16 , May 5, 2004
              On Wed, 5 May 2004, Richard Belshoff wrote:

              > The ac power adapter on my I8200 is becoming frayed right at the point
              > where it plugs into the laptop, and is starting to short out every now
              > and then

              > Has anyone else had this problem?

              Yeah, I have a spare PSU that's doing that. I was able to solder back the
              wires and wrap 'em in heat-shrink tubing.

              However:

              > I think I'm going to have to order another ac power adapter before
              > this one wears out entirely.

              Go eBay. All the sellers are dicking people around on shipping ($7.00!),
              but this guy's got a few PA-9s for $18 for a total of $25:

              http://tinyurl.com/ywsl3

              -Kenny

              --
              Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
              H: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809 (888) 454-8181

                Message 7 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                  Mine frayed and nearly broke on the strain relief
                  coming out of the 'brick' itself. I too called up Dell
                  and explained, and they sent a replacement that I got
                  the very next day.

                  I advise everyone buying a dell to get 3-year onsite
                  service... you'll need it. ;)

                  Though to be fair, they actually replaced my cracked
                  lid... big black piece that holds the round "DELL"
                  logo.

                  =====