Power off: works with 2004.0 livecd, but not with my 2.6 kernel

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2004

      I'm still stuggling with my laptop about some basic power management
      issues, and I'm running out of ideas, hence this mail. My first question
      is: is there someone out there running a 2.6 kernel on a Precision M60
      and able to power down ?

      Now some more details. I have a Dell Precision M60, on which I installed
      a stage 1 gentoo that I keep up to date. My problem is that when I try
      to power down the laptop (using halt, for instance), it stops
      everything, prints "power down", and hangs there. Thinking it might be a
      bios issue, I tried doing the same thing using the Gentoo 2004.0 livecd
      (which uses a 2.4 kernel), and it did power down correctly. I also have
      reports of people using a (Suse) 2.4 kernel who are able to power down
      with the same machine.

      So my question is: as I am using a 2.6.5 kernel, do I need to do
      something special to get it to power down? The problem does not seem to
      be service or module related (I tried booting as "single", rmmoding all
      modules, and it would still not shut down).

      Here is the relevant .config info:

      #
      # ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
      #
      CONFIG_ACPI=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
      # CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
      # CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
      # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
      CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
      CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
      # CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER is not set

      #
      # APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
      #
      # CONFIG_APM is not set

      #
      # CPU Frequency scaling
      #
      CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
      # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
      CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
      # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
      CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
      CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
      CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
      # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_24_API is not set
      CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y

      #
      # CPUFreq processor drivers
      #
      CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
      # CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
      # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
      # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
      # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
      # CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD is not set
      CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=y
      CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=y
      CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI=y
      CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=y
      CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=y
      # CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN is not set
      # CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL is not set

      Thanks for any help about this,

      Alan Schmitt

      --
      The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
      .O.