Re: [linux-dell-laptops] RH9 to Fedora Core 1

  • Damien Solley
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2004
      Douglas S. Oliver had this to say:

      > As I understand it, Fedora is RedHat 9. It just no longer has RedHat's
      > support. Though all of the updates still come through RedHat, and you
      > can still use Up2date. If you go to the RedHat site, you'll find a lot
      > of info about changing over. -- d

      This is incorrect.
      The "Fedora" project existed for years providing extra RPMs to users of
      Redhat 8 and 9 (and perhaps earlier). Prior to the release of Redhat 10
      (during the beta testing, IIRC), the Fedora project and Redhat merged
      to create the first joint release, Fedora Core 1. So FC1 is effectively
      Redhat 10, minus a couple of packages (redhat-artwork, etc).
      Upgrading from Redhat 9 to FC1 is possible via apt-get (as I mentioned),
      but it does require a fast connection.
      Regards
      Damien