Resizing partitions

  • Brian Kurle
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2004
      I've been following the merging thread and would be curious which
      product is better for resizing an XP partition to make room for Linux.

      I ordered an Inspiron 8600 which is coming with Windoze XP. But I
      don't want to dump it right away (well, I really do, but depending
      upon contract jobs may have to put it back). Moreover, I don't want
      to even touch the XP partition (that is, accept the license and
      complete the setup) if I can help it.

      So, what product would you recommend to resize the partition without
      actually have to install anything to do so?

      brian
    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2004
        So, if I understand you correctly, you would like to boot from a floppy
        or cd and partition from there? I have the i8600 and used Partition
        Commander. I used to use an older copy of Partition Magic that ran
        really well from floppy. Partition Commander handles ext3, which is
        nice. A newer version of Partition Magic probably does also. I prefer
        Partition Commander. I made my choice by comparing PM and PC online. I
        kind of wanted to try something new, and since I use V-com's
        SystemSuite, PC was a good choice for me. I have to dual boot because I
        have a computer repair and consulting business in which I often need to
        talk clients through things in windows. All of my normal work, however,
        is done in linux. I recommend comparing things online. -- d

        On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 11:09, Brian Kurle wrote:
        > I've been following the merging thread and would be curious which
        > product is better for resizing an XP partition to make room for Linux.
        >
        > I ordered an Inspiron 8600 which is coming with Windoze XP. But I
        > don't want to dump it right away (well, I really do, but depending
        > upon contract jobs may have to put it back). Moreover, I don't want
        > to even touch the XP partition (that is, accept the license and
        > complete the setup) if I can help it.
        >
        > So, what product would you recommend to resize the partition without
        > actually have to install anything to do so?
        >
        > brian

      • Nathan Stratton Treadway
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2004
          On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 06:09:24PM -0000, Brian Kurle wrote:
          > So, what product would you recommend to resize the partition without
          > actually have to install anything to do so?

          The latest System Rescue CD includes NTFS resize functionality, which is
          what I used to resize the XP partition on an Inspirion 1150 without
          actually booting XP first. (It's a Linux-based system so you can also
          use it to make sure Linux works with your hardware before you go through
          a full distribution install.)

          You can download it from http://www.sysresccd.org/ (assuming you have
          access to a CD burner).

          Nathan
          Nathan Stratton Treadway - nathanst@... - Mid-Atlantic region
          Ray Ontko & Co. - Software consulting services - http://www.ontko.com/
          GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
          Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C 0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239
        • Brian Kurle
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2004
            Thanks. I spent last night looking at both PC and PM. However, since I'm
            sure that this isn't a new question, I thought I'd get advise from the
            community before going forward.

            Yes, ideally I'd like to boot from floppy or CD and not have to touch the
            factory XP installation until I absolutely have to. My thought being that
            if it appears this contract won't pan out, I can still try for the Window
            tax refund ;-) (but if it does, I won't be kicking myself later).

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2004
              Thanks! I'll go look at that. So far, I'm surprised at how many standalone
              distros have broke on me. (I've started jotting notes at
              http://www.kurle.com/brian/tech-notes/i8600/)

              DAMN Small Linux hung on me. Trinux lost sense of the floppy drive and
              couldn't get far enough to load other drivers. I'm still in the process of
              downloading KNOPPIX (but if DAMN Small failed which is based on it, I'm not
              too encouraged).

            • Douglas S. Oliver
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2004
                Now I'm confused. It sounds to me like you don't even want to partition
                at all. Unless you find a linux version that runs fully from cd or
                floppy, you MUST touch the factory installation and partition. If you
                want a fine linux on floppy, look at tomsrtbt. Also look at Basic Linux
                from Slackware. It's a two floppy job that boots from a dos floppy, but
                has lots of stuff. Of course you won't get X from floppy. I have used
                both of them on my i8600. I use tomsrtbt all the time. -- d

                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2004
                  No, I don't want to boot up XP, but I'd be glad to resize the partition that
                  XP resides on. (yeah, I touch the partition, but I don't boot up the XP
                  partition).

                  Thanks for the input. I'll add tomsrtbt to my download list and take
                  another gander at slakware.

                  brian

                • Bill Rosoman
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2004
                    --- Brian Kurle <geek@...> wrote: >
                    > I've been following the merging thread and would be
                    > curious which
                    > product is better for resizing an XP partition to
                    > make room for Linux.
                    >
                    > I ordered an Inspiron 8600 which is coming with
                    > Windoze XP. But I
                    > don't want to dump it right away (well, I really do,
                    > but depending
                    > upon contract jobs may have to put it back).
                    > Moreover, I don't want
                    > to even touch the XP partition (that is, accept the
                    > license and
                    > complete the setup) if I can help it.
                    >
                    > So, what product would you recommend to resize the
                    > partition without
                    > actually have to install anything to do so?

                    I use a DOS version of Partition Magic 7. Created from
                    Windows onto to 2 floppies, works fine with Mouse and
                    GUI.

                    HTH

                    =====

                    Bill Rosoman Dip C.S
                    Hamilton

                    New Zealand
                    Telephone +64-21-233-5427

                    Email leftfieldnz@...
                    http://leftfieldnz.topcities.com

                  • Brian Kurle
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2004
                      Well, I've been playing around with the System Rescue CD that Nathan
                      recommended. It's a partition Magic clone and worked beautifully. (Thanks
                      again, Nathan!) I was able to resize the partition (and then do a quick
                      boot into it long enough for it to run a chkdsk to show that the XP
                      partition is fine). Now I can leave that partition alone and play with the
                      Linux install.

                      Again, thanks for the tips. Now, onto the installation...

                      brian