Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Merging Partitions

  • Charles Fox
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2004
      A question. Partition Magic offers a load-from-DOS version as well as load-from-Windows. I have XP on the laptop but the original partition job was done using DOS most likely -- to enable loading a second OS.

      Does it really matter which one I get?

      Charles Fox
      cafox513@...

      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2004
        Actually, they are both commercial. Each of them has at times been
        offered for free along with perhaps a book purchase. You might still be
        able to find a free version, or perhaps someone knows of a freeware
        program. I had forgotten about parted. It comes along with all recent
        versions of RedHat. It's opensource. I have never used it though;
        however, I have heard really good things about it, and it's free. -- d

        On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 18:13, Solomon Grundy wrote:
        > Are these programs free or commercial? Where can I get them?
        >
        > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:53, Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
        > > Well, if you want to do away with the other partition completely, I
        > > would use a program like Partition Commander or Partition Magic to
        > > delete the empty partition and then expand the / (i.e. root)
        > > partition.
        > > I think both the current Partition Commander and P Magic handle Linux
        > > partitions well. I use Partition Commander. Fdisk from Microsoft and
        > > the
        > > Linux one will distroy your data, because they require formatting of
        > > the
        > > changed and new partitions. The linux fdisk will allow you to non
        > > destructively set boot flags and the like. Good luck -- d
        > >
        > > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 16:55, Solomon Grundy wrote:
        > > > Hi there.
        > > >
        > > > I am trying to merge my main Linux partition with another partition
        > > that
        > > > is completely empty. Which would be the best tool for the job? Has
        > > > anybody out there done something like what I intend to do?
        > > >
        > > > Any help will be appreciated.
        > > >
        > > > Regards,
        > > >
        > > > SG

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > > [image]

        > > Service.

      • Douglas S. Oliver
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2004
          All versions since about two years ago, work on all operating systems,
          be it DOS, Windows, Linux, and others. That's true for both Partition
          Magic and Partition Commander. DOS 6.2 and earlier don't handle fat32
          partitions, whereas all windows versions after 3.2 work with fat32.
          Linux, of course, handles it all. I would personally look at parted, but
          I say this without having used it myself. -- d

          PS. I use Partition Commander only because I like V-Comm's products.
          They purchased most of the products I use from Ontrack, who are one of
          the premier data recovery companies.

          On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:29, Charles Fox wrote:
          > A question. Partition Magic offers a load-from-DOS version as well as
          > load-from-Windows. I have XP on the laptop but the original partition
          > job was done using DOS most likely -- to enable loading a second OS.
          >
          > Does it really matter which one I get?
          >
          > Charles Fox
          > cafox513@...

        • Charles Fox
          Message 4 of 20 , May 3, 2004
            Thank you, Douglas.

            All versions since about two years ago, work on all operating systems,
            be it DOS, Windows, Linux, and others. That's true for both Partition
            Magic and Partition Commander. DOS 6.2 and earlier don't handle fat32
            partitions, whereas all windows versions after 3.2 work with fat32.
            Linux, of course, handles it all. I would personally look at parted, but
            I say this without having used it myself. -- d

            PS. I use Partition Commander only because I like V-Comm's products.
            They purchased most of the products I use from Ontrack, who are one of
            the premier data recovery companies.

            On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:29, Charles Fox wrote:
            > A question. Partition Magic offers a load-from-DOS version as well as
            > load-from-Windows. I have XP on the laptop but the original partition
            > job was done using DOS most likely -- to enable loading a second OS.

            > Does it really matter which one I get?

            > Charles Fox
            > cafox513@...

          • Solomon Grundy
            Message 5 of 20 , May 31, 2004
              OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
              just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
              went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
              partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
              16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
              first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
              Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
              went well, no error messages.

              However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
              is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
              parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?

              Thank you for your help.

              SG

              On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:46, Tom Grimes wrote:
              > Yes, you must run all these things as root. You should also make the
              > partitions read-only, for safety's sake, while you manipulate the
              > partitions (see the mount man page). Since I'm paranoid, I usually
              > like
              > to be in single-user mode as well.
              >
              > Good luck!
              >
              > -Tom Grimes
              >
              > IHS
              >
              > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:18, Solomon Grundy wrote:
              > > OK, doesn't sound overly hard. I'm already in the process of backing
              > up
              > > data, so I'll try out your method later tonight or probably
              > tomorrow. I
              > > assume you must do this as root?
              > >
              > > Thanks for all your help.
              > >
              > > SG

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > [image]

              > Service.

            • Alan Schmitt
              Message 6 of 20 , May 31, 2004
                * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                > OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
                > just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
                > went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
                > partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
                > 16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
                > first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
                > Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
                > went well, no error messages.
                >
                > However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
                > is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
                > parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?

                At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?

                Alan Schmitt

                --
                The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
                .O.
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 6, 2004
                  Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                  unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                  believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?

                  On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 00:10, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                  > * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                  > > OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
                  > > just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
                  > > went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
                  > > partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
                  > > 16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
                  > > first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
                  > > Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
                  > > went well, no error messages.
                  > >
                  > > However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
                  > > is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
                  > > parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?
                  >
                  > At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                  > filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?
                  >
                  > Alan Schmitt
                • Alan Schmitt
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 6, 2004
                    * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                    > Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                    > unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                    > believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?

                    I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
                    pretty sure there are some tools out there.

                    Alan Schmitt

                    --
                  • gebser@speakeasy.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004

                      =
                      = I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
                      = pretty sure there are some tools out there.
                      =
                      = Alan Schmitt

                      If the ext3 partition and the empty one need to be adjacent to each
                      other physically, you should be able to use fdisk to accomplish this;
                      fdisk should already be installed on your linux machine. Here's what to
                      do:

                      * Back up the data on the ext3 partition.

                      * Go into fdisk (see 'man fdisk' for details), note the beginning
                      cylinder of the first partition and ending cylinder of the second.

                      * Delete the ext3 partition.

                      * Create a new ext3 partition using the cylinder numbers you noted
                      above.

                      * Save and quit fdisk.

                      * Use mkfs to put a filesystem on the new paritions (see 'man mkfs' for
                      details).

                      * Restore the data to the partition.

                      Nope, you don't have to reboot. :)

                      If any of this is unclear to you, you probably want to read the
                      Partitioning-HOWTO, available in lots of places. Consult your favorite
                      search engine for locations.

                      hth,
                      ken
                    • gebser@speakeasy.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                        At 05:54 (UTC-0400) on Mon, 7 Jun 2004 gebser@... said:

                        = At 07:32 (UTC+0200) on Mon, 7 Jun 2004 Alan Schmitt said:
                        =
                        = = * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                        = = > Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                        = = > unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                        = = > believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?
                        = =
                        = = I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
                        = = pretty sure there are some tools out there.
                        = =
                        = = Alan Schmitt
                        =
                        = If the ext3 partition and the empty one need to be adjacent to each

                        I should have written "If the ext3 partition and the empty one *are*
[...]

                        = --------------------------------------------------------------
                        = Please post your X config files in the group links or database
                        = To unsubscribe, email: linux-dell-laptops-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                        = FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
                        = Yahoo! Groups Links
                        =
                        =
                        =
                        =
                        =
                        =
                      • Dado Feigenblatt
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 28, 2004
                          Solomon Grundy wrote:

                          >Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                          >unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                          >believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?
                          >
                          >On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 00:10, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                          >

                          >> At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                          >>
                          >>filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?
                          >>
                          >>Alan Schmitt

                          Have a look at resize2fs.
                          Its man page says it resizes ext2 filesystems, but it should work on
                          ext3 as well.
                          But I'm not sure so you should do some research on it. Don't blame me if
                          you loose your data.
                          If it doesn't work on ext3, you can convert the filesystem to ext2,
                          resize it, and convert back to ext3.

                          --
                          Dado Feigenblatt Wild Brain, Inc.
                          Technical Director (415) 553-8000
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 28, 2004
                            Thanks for the advice. I eventually managed to repartition my Hard Disk
                            using parted, just as Tom Grimes suggested. Was a bit of a headache, but
                            I was succesful. I will hang on to your advise, though, I might have to
                            do it again, and I'm always game for trying new methods.

                            Thanks again. Cheers,

                            SG