Re: Re:[linux-dell-laptops] Merging Partitions

  • Solomon Grundy
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2004
      OK, I get you. But wouldn't this method compromise data stored in the
      linux partition? I mean, both partitions are physically adjacent, but if
      I delete partitions 0 and 1, won't data in partition 0 be lost? I'm not
      worried about partition 1, since it is completely empty.

    • Solomon Grundy
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2004
        Are these programs free or commercial? Where can I get them?

        On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:53, Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
        > Well, if you want to do away with the other partition completely, I
        > would use a program like Partition Commander or Partition Magic to
        > delete the empty partition and then expand the / (i.e. root)
        > partition.
        > I think both the current Partition Commander and P Magic handle Linux
        > partitions well. I use Partition Commander. Fdisk from Microsoft and
        > the
        > Linux one will distroy your data, because they require formatting of
        > the
        > changed and new partitions. The linux fdisk will allow you to non
        > destructively set boot flags and the like. Good luck -- d
        >
        > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 16:55, Solomon Grundy wrote:
        > > Hi there.
        > >
        > > I am trying to merge my main Linux partition with another partition
        > that
        > > is completely empty. Which would be the best tool for the job? Has
        > > anybody out there done something like what I intend to do?
        > >
        > > Any help will be appreciated.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > SG

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > [image]

        > Service.

      • Tom Grimes
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2004
          On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:12, Solomon Grundy wrote:
          > OK, I get you. But wouldn't this method compromise data stored in the
          > linux partition? I mean, both partitions are physically adjacent, but if
          > I delete partitions 0 and 1, won't data in partition 0 be lost? I'm not
          > worried about partition 1, since it is completely empty.

          Deleting partitions only changes the partition table. The partition
          table merely defines areas on the device, as given by a range of
          cylinders. It does not write data to the actual partition. If
          partition 0 is from cyl a to cyl b and partition 1 is cyl c to cyl d,
          then you may modify the partition table to indicate partition 0 is cyl a
          to cyl d without ever touching the data on the actual partitions.

          Of course, one should always backup important data before doing anything
          which may result in fs corruption. I am quite confident parted will not
          corrupt your data (because I have had some experience with it), but I
          have not used fdisk as extensively and therefore cannot vouch for it as
          much as parted. Both parted and fdisk are Linux utilities and come
          standard with most (all?) distributions. Note that Linux fdisk is not
          DOS FDISK. FDISK *will* trash your data.

          Partition Magic (20USD from
          http://softseek.esmartdesign.com/ftp1/partition.htm, 60USD from
          TigerDirect) and Partition Commander (50USD from
          http://www.v-com.com/product/pc8_ind.html) are both commercial.

          -Tom Grimes

          IHS
        • Solomon Grundy
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2004
            OK, doesn't sound overly hard. I'm already in the process of backing up
            data, so I'll try out your method later tonight or probably tomorrow. I
            assume you must do this as root?

            Thanks for all your help.

            SG

            On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:02, Tom Grimes wrote:
            > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:12, Solomon Grundy wrote:
            > > OK, I get you. But wouldn't this method compromise data stored in
            > the
            > > linux partition? I mean, both partitions are physically adjacent,
            > but if
            > > I delete partitions 0 and 1, won't data in partition 0 be lost? I'm
            > not
            > > worried about partition 1, since it is completely empty.
            >
            > Deleting partitions only changes the partition table. The partition
            > table merely defines areas on the device, as given by a range of
            > cylinders. It does not write data to the actual partition. If
            > partition 0 is from cyl a to cyl b and partition 1 is cyl c to cyl d,
            > then you may modify the partition table to indicate partition 0 is cyl
            > to cyl d without ever touching the data on the actual partitions.
            >
            > Of course, one should always backup important data before doing
            > anything
            > which may result in fs corruption. I am quite confident parted will
            > not
            > corrupt your data (because I have had some experience with it), but I
            > have not used fdisk as extensively and therefore cannot vouch for it
            > as
            > much as parted. Both parted and fdisk are Linux utilities and come
            > standard with most (all?) distributions. Note that Linux fdisk is not
            > DOS FDISK. FDISK *will* trash your data.
            >
            > Partition Magic (20USD from
            > http://softseek.esmartdesign.com/ftp1/partition.htm, 60USD from
            > TigerDirect) and Partition Commander (50USD from
            > http://www.v-com.com/product/pc8_ind.html) are both commercial.
            >
            > -Tom Grimes
            >
            > IHS

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > [image]

            > Service.

          • Tom Grimes
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2004
              Yes, you must run all these things as root. You should also make the
              partitions read-only, for safety's sake, while you manipulate the
              partitions (see the mount man page). Since I'm paranoid, I usually like
              to be in single-user mode as well.

              Good luck!

              -Tom Grimes

              IHS

              On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:18, Solomon Grundy wrote:
              > OK, doesn't sound overly hard. I'm already in the process of backing up
              > data, so I'll try out your method later tonight or probably tomorrow. I
              > assume you must do this as root?
              >
              > Thanks for all your help.
              >
              > SG
            • Charles Fox
              Message 6 of 20 , May 2, 2004
                A question. Partition Magic offers a load-from-DOS version as well as load-from-Windows. I have XP on the laptop but the original partition job was done using DOS most likely -- to enable loading a second OS.

                Does it really matter which one I get?

                Charles Fox
                cafox513@...

                Well, if you want to do away with the other partition completely, I
                would use a program like Partition Commander or Partition Magic to
                delete the empty partition and then expand the / (i.e. root) partition.
                I think both the current Partition Commander and P Magic handle Linux
                partitions well. I use Partition Commander. Fdisk from Microsoft and the
                Linux one will distroy your data, because they require formatting of the
                changed and new partitions. The linux fdisk will allow you to non
                destructively set boot flags and the like. Good luck -- d

                On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 16:55, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                > Hi there.
                >
                > I am trying to merge my main Linux partition with another partition that
                > is completely empty. Which would be the best tool for the job? Has
                > anybody out there done something like what I intend to do?
                >
                > Any help will be appreciated.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > SG

              • Douglas S. Oliver
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                  Actually, they are both commercial. Each of them has at times been
                  offered for free along with perhaps a book purchase. You might still be
                  able to find a free version, or perhaps someone knows of a freeware
                  program. I had forgotten about parted. It comes along with all recent
                  versions of RedHat. It's opensource. I have never used it though;
                  however, I have heard really good things about it, and it's free. -- d

                  On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 18:13, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                  > Are these programs free or commercial? Where can I get them?
                  >
                  > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:53, Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
                  > > Well, if you want to do away with the other partition completely, I
                  > > would use a program like Partition Commander or Partition Magic to
                  > > delete the empty partition and then expand the / (i.e. root)
                  > > partition.
                  > > I think both the current Partition Commander and P Magic handle Linux
                  > > partitions well. I use Partition Commander. Fdisk from Microsoft and
                  > > the
                  > > Linux one will distroy your data, because they require formatting of
                  > > the
                  > > changed and new partitions. The linux fdisk will allow you to non
                  > > destructively set boot flags and the like. Good luck -- d
                  > >
                  > > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 16:55, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                  > > > Hi there.
                  > > >
                  > > > I am trying to merge my main Linux partition with another partition
                  > > that
                  > > > is completely empty. Which would be the best tool for the job? Has
                  > > > anybody out there done something like what I intend to do?
                  > > >
                  > > > Any help will be appreciated.
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards,
                  > > >
                  > > > SG

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > > [image]

                  > > Service.

                • Douglas S. Oliver
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                    All versions since about two years ago, work on all operating systems,
                    be it DOS, Windows, Linux, and others. That's true for both Partition
                    Magic and Partition Commander. DOS 6.2 and earlier don't handle fat32
                    partitions, whereas all windows versions after 3.2 work with fat32.
                    Linux, of course, handles it all. I would personally look at parted, but
                    I say this without having used it myself. -- d

                    PS. I use Partition Commander only because I like V-Comm's products.
                    They purchased most of the products I use from Ontrack, who are one of
                    the premier data recovery companies.

                    On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:29, Charles Fox wrote:
                    > A question. Partition Magic offers a load-from-DOS version as well as
                    > load-from-Windows. I have XP on the laptop but the original partition
                    > job was done using DOS most likely -- to enable loading a second OS.
                    >
                    > Does it really matter which one I get?
                    >
                    > Charles Fox
                    > cafox513@...

                  • Charles Fox
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                      Thank you, Douglas.

                      All versions since about two years ago, work on all operating systems,
                      be it DOS, Windows, Linux, and others. That's true for both Partition
                      Magic and Partition Commander. DOS 6.2 and earlier don't handle fat32
                      partitions, whereas all windows versions after 3.2 work with fat32.
                      Linux, of course, handles it all. I would personally look at parted, but
                      I say this without having used it myself. -- d

                      PS. I use Partition Commander only because I like V-Comm's products.
                      They purchased most of the products I use from Ontrack, who are one of
                      the premier data recovery companies.

                      On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:29, Charles Fox wrote:
                      > A question. Partition Magic offers a load-from-DOS version as well as
                      > load-from-Windows. I have XP on the laptop but the original partition
                      > job was done using DOS most likely -- to enable loading a second OS.

                      > Does it really matter which one I get?

                      > Charles Fox
                      > cafox513@...

                    • Solomon Grundy
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 31, 2004
                        OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
                        just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
                        went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
                        partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
                        16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
                        first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
                        Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
                        went well, no error messages.

                        However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
                        is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
                        parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?

                        Thank you for your help.

                        SG

                        On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:46, Tom Grimes wrote:
                        > Yes, you must run all these things as root. You should also make the
                        > partitions read-only, for safety's sake, while you manipulate the
                        > partitions (see the mount man page). Since I'm paranoid, I usually
                        > like
                        > to be in single-user mode as well.
                        >
                        > Good luck!
                        >
                        > -Tom Grimes
                        >
                        > IHS
                        >
                        > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:18, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                        > > OK, doesn't sound overly hard. I'm already in the process of backing
                        > up
                        > > data, so I'll try out your method later tonight or probably
                        > tomorrow. I
                        > > assume you must do this as root?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for all your help.
                        > >
                        > > SG

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        > [image]

                        > Service.

                      • Alan Schmitt
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 31, 2004
                          * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                          > OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
                          > just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
                          > went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
                          > partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
                          > 16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
                          > first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
                          > Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
                          > went well, no error messages.
                          >
                          > However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
                          > is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
                          > parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?

                          At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                          filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?

                          Alan Schmitt

                          --
                          The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
                          .O.
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 6, 2004
                            Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                            unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                            believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?

                            On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 00:10, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                            > * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                            > > OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
                            > > just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
                            > > went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
                            > > partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
                            > > 16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
                            > > first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
                            > > Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
                            > > went well, no error messages.
                            > >
                            > > However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
                            > > is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
                            > > parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?
                            >
                            > At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                            > filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?
                            >
                            > Alan Schmitt
                          • Alan Schmitt
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 6, 2004
                              * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                              > Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                              > unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                              > believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?

                              I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
                              pretty sure there are some tools out there.

                              Alan Schmitt

                              --
                            • gebser@speakeasy.net
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004

                                =
                                = I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
                                = pretty sure there are some tools out there.
                                =
                                = Alan Schmitt

                                If the ext3 partition and the empty one need to be adjacent to each
                                other physically, you should be able to use fdisk to accomplish this;
                                fdisk should already be installed on your linux machine. Here's what to
                                do:

                                * Back up the data on the ext3 partition.

                                * Go into fdisk (see 'man fdisk' for details), note the beginning
                                cylinder of the first partition and ending cylinder of the second.

                                * Delete the ext3 partition.

                                * Create a new ext3 partition using the cylinder numbers you noted
                                above.

                                * Save and quit fdisk.

                                * Use mkfs to put a filesystem on the new paritions (see 'man mkfs' for
                                details).

                                * Restore the data to the partition.

                                Nope, you don't have to reboot. :)

                                If any of this is unclear to you, you probably want to read the
                                Partitioning-HOWTO, available in lots of places. Consult your favorite
                                search engine for locations.

                                hth,
                                ken
                              • gebser@speakeasy.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                                  At 05:54 (UTC-0400) on Mon, 7 Jun 2004 gebser@... said:

                                  = At 07:32 (UTC+0200) on Mon, 7 Jun 2004 Alan Schmitt said:
                                  =
                                  = = * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                                  = = > Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                                  = = > unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                                  = = > believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?
                                  = =
                                  = = I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
                                  = = pretty sure there are some tools out there.
                                  = =
                                  = = Alan Schmitt
                                  =
                                  = If the ext3 partition and the empty one need to be adjacent to each

                                  I should have written "If the ext3 partition and the empty one *are*
[...]

                                  = --------------------------------------------------------------
                                  = Please post your X config files in the group links or database
                                  = To unsubscribe, email: linux-dell-laptops-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                  = FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
                                  = Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  =
                                  =
                                  =
                                  =
                                  =
                                  =
                                • Dado Feigenblatt
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 28, 2004
                                    Solomon Grundy wrote:

                                    >Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                                    >unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                                    >believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?
                                    >
                                    >On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 00:10, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                                    >

                                    >> At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                                    >>
                                    >>filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?
                                    >>
                                    >>Alan Schmitt

                                    Have a look at resize2fs.
                                    Its man page says it resizes ext2 filesystems, but it should work on
                                    ext3 as well.
                                    But I'm not sure so you should do some research on it. Don't blame me if
                                    you loose your data.
                                    If it doesn't work on ext3, you can convert the filesystem to ext2,
                                    resize it, and convert back to ext3.

                                    --
                                    Dado Feigenblatt Wild Brain, Inc.
                                    Technical Director (415) 553-8000
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 28, 2004
                                      Thanks for the advice. I eventually managed to repartition my Hard Disk
                                      using parted, just as Tom Grimes suggested. Was a bit of a headache, but
                                      I was succesful. I will hang on to your advise, though, I might have to
                                      do it again, and I'm always game for trying new methods.

                                      Thanks again. Cheers,

                                      SG