Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Merging Partitions

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2004
      Well, if you want to do away with the other partition completely, I
      would use a program like Partition Commander or Partition Magic to
      delete the empty partition and then expand the / (i.e. root) partition.
      I think both the current Partition Commander and P Magic handle Linux
      partitions well. I use Partition Commander. Fdisk from Microsoft and the
      Linux one will distroy your data, because they require formatting of the
      changed and new partitions. The linux fdisk will allow you to non
      destructively set boot flags and the like. Good luck -- d

      On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 16:55, Solomon Grundy wrote:
      > Hi there.
      >
      > I am trying to merge my main Linux partition with another partition that
      > is completely empty. Which would be the best tool for the job? Has
      > anybody out there done something like what I intend to do?
      >
      > Any help will be appreciated.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > SG

    • Tom Grimes
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2004
        If the partitions are adjacent to each other, you may be able to use
        parted. Run `parted /dev/hdc`, delete the empty partition (I think the
        command is `rm`), and use the `resize` command to merge the partitions.
        This will work if (a) parted understands your fs and (b) if it isn't a
        boot partition (for some reason, parted doesn't seem to like these very
        much).

        I have never tried expanding a Reiser partition, but for ext2 (ext3) you
        can follow these steps if the above fails. First, let's say partition 0
        is the one you want to expand, consuming the space in partition 1 (they
        must be physically adjacent). In parted (or fdisk), delete partition 1
        and partition 0. Recreate partition 0 *with the same starting cylinder
        as before* and ending with the last cylinder of (formerly) partition 1.
        Then use resize2fs to make the fs fill the partition. I don't remember
        if you will need the block size for this operation. It's usually 4k,
        but you may need to do some checking. I presume the directions are
        similar for Reiser, if reiserfsprogs contains tools for expanding the
        fs.

        Dealing with partitions can be a risky proposition, so be careful! I
        have used the second set of directions for resizing, moving, and merging
        partitions for ext3 partitions, so I know the procedure will work if you
        get all your ducks in a row before you start. Try the first set of
        directions before attempting the (considerably more complicated = risky)
        second set. Remember to reinstall your bootloader if you modify the
        boot partition.

        Note that these directions work only for adjacent partitions. If the
        partitions are not adjacent, you can use LVM to merge the partitions.
        That, however, is well beyond the scope of this e-mail.

        -Tom Grimes

        IHS

        On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 18:55, Solomon Grundy wrote:
        > Hi there.
        >
        > I am trying to merge my main Linux partition with another partition that
        > is completely empty. Which would be the best tool for the job? Has
        > anybody out there done something like what I intend to do?
        >
        > Any help will be appreciated.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > SG
      • Solomon Grundy
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2004
          OK, I get you. But wouldn't this method compromise data stored in the
          linux partition? I mean, both partitions are physically adjacent, but if
          I delete partitions 0 and 1, won't data in partition 0 be lost? I'm not
          worried about partition 1, since it is completely empty.

        • Solomon Grundy
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2004
            Are these programs free or commercial? Where can I get them?

            On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:53, Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
            > Well, if you want to do away with the other partition completely, I
            > would use a program like Partition Commander or Partition Magic to
            > delete the empty partition and then expand the / (i.e. root)
            > partition.
            > I think both the current Partition Commander and P Magic handle Linux
            > partitions well. I use Partition Commander. Fdisk from Microsoft and
            > the
            > Linux one will distroy your data, because they require formatting of
            > the
            > changed and new partitions. The linux fdisk will allow you to non
            > destructively set boot flags and the like. Good luck -- d
            >
            > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 16:55, Solomon Grundy wrote:
            > > Hi there.
            > >
            > > I am trying to merge my main Linux partition with another partition
            > that
            > > is completely empty. Which would be the best tool for the job? Has
            > > anybody out there done something like what I intend to do?
            > >
            > > Any help will be appreciated.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > SG

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > [image]

            > Service.

          • Tom Grimes
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2004
              On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:12, Solomon Grundy wrote:
              > OK, I get you. But wouldn't this method compromise data stored in the
              > linux partition? I mean, both partitions are physically adjacent, but if
              > I delete partitions 0 and 1, won't data in partition 0 be lost? I'm not
              > worried about partition 1, since it is completely empty.

              Deleting partitions only changes the partition table. The partition
              table merely defines areas on the device, as given by a range of
              cylinders. It does not write data to the actual partition. If
              partition 0 is from cyl a to cyl b and partition 1 is cyl c to cyl d,
              then you may modify the partition table to indicate partition 0 is cyl a
              to cyl d without ever touching the data on the actual partitions.

              Of course, one should always backup important data before doing anything
              which may result in fs corruption. I am quite confident parted will not
              corrupt your data (because I have had some experience with it), but I
              have not used fdisk as extensively and therefore cannot vouch for it as
              much as parted. Both parted and fdisk are Linux utilities and come
              standard with most (all?) distributions. Note that Linux fdisk is not
              DOS FDISK. FDISK *will* trash your data.

              Partition Magic (20USD from
              http://softseek.esmartdesign.com/ftp1/partition.htm, 60USD from
              TigerDirect) and Partition Commander (50USD from
              http://www.v-com.com/product/pc8_ind.html) are both commercial.

              -Tom Grimes

              IHS
            • Solomon Grundy
              Message 6 of 20 , May 2, 2004
                OK, doesn't sound overly hard. I'm already in the process of backing up
                data, so I'll try out your method later tonight or probably tomorrow. I
                assume you must do this as root?

                Thanks for all your help.

                SG

                On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:02, Tom Grimes wrote:
                > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:12, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                > > OK, I get you. But wouldn't this method compromise data stored in
                > the
                > > linux partition? I mean, both partitions are physically adjacent,
                > but if
                > > I delete partitions 0 and 1, won't data in partition 0 be lost? I'm
                > not
                > > worried about partition 1, since it is completely empty.
                >
                > Deleting partitions only changes the partition table. The partition
                > table merely defines areas on the device, as given by a range of
                > cylinders. It does not write data to the actual partition. If
                > partition 0 is from cyl a to cyl b and partition 1 is cyl c to cyl d,
                > then you may modify the partition table to indicate partition 0 is cyl
                > to cyl d without ever touching the data on the actual partitions.
                >
                > Of course, one should always backup important data before doing
                > anything
                > which may result in fs corruption. I am quite confident parted will
                > not
                > corrupt your data (because I have had some experience with it), but I
                > have not used fdisk as extensively and therefore cannot vouch for it
                > as
                > much as parted. Both parted and fdisk are Linux utilities and come
                > standard with most (all?) distributions. Note that Linux fdisk is not
                > DOS FDISK. FDISK *will* trash your data.
                >
                > Partition Magic (20USD from
                > http://softseek.esmartdesign.com/ftp1/partition.htm, 60USD from
                > TigerDirect) and Partition Commander (50USD from
                > http://www.v-com.com/product/pc8_ind.html) are both commercial.
                >
                > -Tom Grimes
                >
                > IHS

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > [image]

                > Service.

              • Tom Grimes
                Message 7 of 20 , May 2, 2004
                  Yes, you must run all these things as root. You should also make the
                  partitions read-only, for safety's sake, while you manipulate the
                  partitions (see the mount man page). Since I'm paranoid, I usually like
                  to be in single-user mode as well.

                  Good luck!

                  -Tom Grimes

                  IHS

                  On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:18, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                  > OK, doesn't sound overly hard. I'm already in the process of backing up
                  > data, so I'll try out your method later tonight or probably tomorrow. I
                  > assume you must do this as root?
                  >
                  > Thanks for all your help.
                  >
                  > SG
                • Charles Fox
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 2, 2004
                    A question. Partition Magic offers a load-from-DOS version as well as load-from-Windows. I have XP on the laptop but the original partition job was done using DOS most likely -- to enable loading a second OS.

                    Does it really matter which one I get?

                    Charles Fox
                    cafox513@...

                    Well, if you want to do away with the other partition completely, I
                    would use a program like Partition Commander or Partition Magic to
                    delete the empty partition and then expand the / (i.e. root) partition.
                    I think both the current Partition Commander and P Magic handle Linux
                    partitions well. I use Partition Commander. Fdisk from Microsoft and the
                    Linux one will distroy your data, because they require formatting of the
                    changed and new partitions. The linux fdisk will allow you to non
                    destructively set boot flags and the like. Good luck -- d

                    On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 16:55, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                    > Hi there.
                    >
                    > I am trying to merge my main Linux partition with another partition that
                    > is completely empty. Which would be the best tool for the job? Has
                    > anybody out there done something like what I intend to do?
                    >
                    > Any help will be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > SG

                  • Douglas S. Oliver
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                      Actually, they are both commercial. Each of them has at times been
                      offered for free along with perhaps a book purchase. You might still be
                      able to find a free version, or perhaps someone knows of a freeware
                      program. I had forgotten about parted. It comes along with all recent
                      versions of RedHat. It's opensource. I have never used it though;
                      however, I have heard really good things about it, and it's free. -- d

                      On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 18:13, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                      > Are these programs free or commercial? Where can I get them?
                      >
                      > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:53, Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
                      > > Well, if you want to do away with the other partition completely, I
                      > > would use a program like Partition Commander or Partition Magic to
                      > > delete the empty partition and then expand the / (i.e. root)
                      > > partition.
                      > > I think both the current Partition Commander and P Magic handle Linux
                      > > partitions well. I use Partition Commander. Fdisk from Microsoft and
                      > > the
                      > > Linux one will distroy your data, because they require formatting of
                      > > the
                      > > changed and new partitions. The linux fdisk will allow you to non
                      > > destructively set boot flags and the like. Good luck -- d
                      > >
                      > > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 16:55, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                      > > > Hi there.
                      > > >
                      > > > I am trying to merge my main Linux partition with another partition
                      > > that
                      > > > is completely empty. Which would be the best tool for the job? Has
                      > > > anybody out there done something like what I intend to do?
                      > > >
                      > > > Any help will be appreciated.
                      > > >
                      > > > Regards,
                      > > >
                      > > > SG

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > > [image]

                      > > Service.

                    • Douglas S. Oliver
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                        All versions since about two years ago, work on all operating systems,
                        be it DOS, Windows, Linux, and others. That's true for both Partition
                        Magic and Partition Commander. DOS 6.2 and earlier don't handle fat32
                        partitions, whereas all windows versions after 3.2 work with fat32.
                        Linux, of course, handles it all. I would personally look at parted, but
                        I say this without having used it myself. -- d

                        PS. I use Partition Commander only because I like V-Comm's products.
                        They purchased most of the products I use from Ontrack, who are one of
                        the premier data recovery companies.

                        On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:29, Charles Fox wrote:
                        > A question. Partition Magic offers a load-from-DOS version as well as
                        > load-from-Windows. I have XP on the laptop but the original partition
                        > job was done using DOS most likely -- to enable loading a second OS.
                        >
                        > Does it really matter which one I get?
                        >
                        > Charles Fox
                        > cafox513@...

                      • Charles Fox
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2004
                          Thank you, Douglas.

                          All versions since about two years ago, work on all operating systems,
                          be it DOS, Windows, Linux, and others. That's true for both Partition
                          Magic and Partition Commander. DOS 6.2 and earlier don't handle fat32
                          partitions, whereas all windows versions after 3.2 work with fat32.
                          Linux, of course, handles it all. I would personally look at parted, but
                          I say this without having used it myself. -- d

                          PS. I use Partition Commander only because I like V-Comm's products.
                          They purchased most of the products I use from Ontrack, who are one of
                          the premier data recovery companies.

                          On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:29, Charles Fox wrote:
                          > A question. Partition Magic offers a load-from-DOS version as well as
                          > load-from-Windows. I have XP on the laptop but the original partition
                          > job was done using DOS most likely -- to enable loading a second OS.

                          > Does it really matter which one I get?

                          > Charles Fox
                          > cafox513@...

                        • Solomon Grundy
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 31, 2004
                            OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
                            just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
                            went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
                            partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
                            16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
                            first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
                            Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
                            went well, no error messages.

                            However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
                            is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
                            parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?

                            Thank you for your help.

                            SG

                            On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:46, Tom Grimes wrote:
                            > Yes, you must run all these things as root. You should also make the
                            > partitions read-only, for safety's sake, while you manipulate the
                            > partitions (see the mount man page). Since I'm paranoid, I usually
                            > like
                            > to be in single-user mode as well.
                            >
                            > Good luck!
                            >
                            > -Tom Grimes
                            >
                            > IHS
                            >
                            > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:18, Solomon Grundy wrote:
                            > > OK, doesn't sound overly hard. I'm already in the process of backing
                            > up
                            > > data, so I'll try out your method later tonight or probably
                            > tomorrow. I
                            > > assume you must do this as root?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for all your help.
                            > >
                            > > SG

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > [image]

                            > Service.

                          • Alan Schmitt
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 31, 2004
                              * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                              > OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
                              > just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
                              > went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
                              > partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
                              > 16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
                              > first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
                              > Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
                              > went well, no error messages.
                              >
                              > However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
                              > is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
                              > parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?

                              At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                              filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?

                              Alan Schmitt

                              --
                              The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
                              .O.
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 6, 2004
                                Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                                unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                                believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?

                                On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 00:10, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                                > * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                                > > OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
                                > > just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
                                > > went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
                                > > partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
                                > > 16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
                                > > first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
                                > > Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
                                > > went well, no error messages.
                                > >
                                > > However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
                                > > is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
                                > > parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?
                                >
                                > At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                                > filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?
                                >
                                > Alan Schmitt
                              • Alan Schmitt
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 6, 2004
                                  * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                                  > Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                                  > unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                                  > believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?

                                  I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
                                  pretty sure there are some tools out there.

                                  Alan Schmitt

                                  --
                                • gebser@speakeasy.net
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004

                                    =
                                    = I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
                                    = pretty sure there are some tools out there.
                                    =
                                    = Alan Schmitt

                                    If the ext3 partition and the empty one need to be adjacent to each
                                    other physically, you should be able to use fdisk to accomplish this;
                                    fdisk should already be installed on your linux machine. Here's what to
                                    do:

                                    * Back up the data on the ext3 partition.

                                    * Go into fdisk (see 'man fdisk' for details), note the beginning
                                    cylinder of the first partition and ending cylinder of the second.

                                    * Delete the ext3 partition.

                                    * Create a new ext3 partition using the cylinder numbers you noted
                                    above.

                                    * Save and quit fdisk.

                                    * Use mkfs to put a filesystem on the new paritions (see 'man mkfs' for
                                    details).

                                    * Restore the data to the partition.

                                    Nope, you don't have to reboot. :)

                                    If any of this is unclear to you, you probably want to read the
                                    Partitioning-HOWTO, available in lots of places. Consult your favorite
                                    search engine for locations.

                                    hth,
                                    ken
                                  • gebser@speakeasy.net
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
                                      At 05:54 (UTC-0400) on Mon, 7 Jun 2004 gebser@... said:

                                      = At 07:32 (UTC+0200) on Mon, 7 Jun 2004 Alan Schmitt said:
                                      =
                                      = = * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
                                      = = > Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                                      = = > unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                                      = = > believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?
                                      = =
                                      = = I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
                                      = = pretty sure there are some tools out there.
                                      = =
                                      = = Alan Schmitt
                                      =
                                      = If the ext3 partition and the empty one need to be adjacent to each

                                      I should have written "If the ext3 partition and the empty one *are*
[...]

                                      = --------------------------------------------------------------
                                      = Please post your X config files in the group links or database
                                      = To unsubscribe, email: linux-dell-laptops-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                      = FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
                                      = Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      =
                                      =
                                      =
                                      =
                                      =
                                      =
                                    • Dado Feigenblatt
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 28 12:42 PM
                                        Solomon Grundy wrote:

                                        >Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                                        >unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                                        >believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?
                                        >
                                        >On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 00:10, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                                        >

                                        >> At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                                        >>
                                        >>filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?
                                        >>
                                        >>Alan Schmitt

                                        Have a look at resize2fs.
                                        Its man page says it resizes ext2 filesystems, but it should work on
                                        ext3 as well.
                                        But I'm not sure so you should do some research on it. Don't blame me if
                                        you loose your data.
                                        If it doesn't work on ext3, you can convert the filesystem to ext2,
                                        resize it, and convert back to ext3.

                                        --
                                        Dado Feigenblatt Wild Brain, Inc.
                                        Technical Director (415) 553-8000
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 28 9:24 PM
                                          Thanks for the advice. I eventually managed to repartition my Hard Disk
                                          using parted, just as Tom Grimes suggested. Was a bit of a headache, but
                                          I was succesful. I will hang on to your advise, though, I might have to
                                          do it again, and I'm always game for trying new methods.

                                          Thanks again. Cheers,

                                          SG