screen shrink No More

  • arun lal
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2004
      The screen problem is fixed. I was not modifying my
      XF86Config properly. Also, I removed the 845patch
      link.

      VOILA!!!!

      thanks a bunch everyone....

      -arun

    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2004
        As I understand it, Fedora is RedHat 9. It just no longer has RedHat's
        support. Though all of the updates still come through RedHat, and you
        can still use Up2date. If you go to the RedHat site, you'll find a lot
        of info about changing over. -- d

        On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 19:06, Damien Solley wrote:
        > arun lal had this to say:
        >
        > > Thanks Damien
        > > But how do I change from RH9 to FC1? Do I need to
        > > scrap RH9 or I can just update to FC1? Does this new
        > > OS will take extra space of it will work over RH9?
        > >
        > > -arun
        >
        > Hi Arun
        > Two options:
        >
        > 1.
        > If you have access to a fast connection you caan download the CD images
        > for FC1. Or you might know someone with a copy. This will allow you to
        > do an upgrade to FC1 by booting from the first CD.
        >
        > 2.
        > Alternatively, you can upgrade via apt-rpm. go to:
        > http://apt.freshrpms.net
        > And download the install file for RH 9. Install it.
        > Then enable the updates for FC1 in /etc/apt/sources.list (read the file,
        > it's simple). Run "apt-get update".
        > Once you have apt installed you can have a read about it via "man
        > apt-get" or google. It will allow you to install the FC1 rpms (eg the
        > FC1 kernel) either piecemeal like this:
        > apt-cache search kernel
        > apt-get install kernel-image-xxxx
        > OR you can upgrade the entire distro to FC1 by doing:
        > apt-get dist-upgrade -u
        > But that requires a fast connection or a lot of time downloading.
        >
        > Regards
        > Damien

      • Damien Solley
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2004
          Douglas S. Oliver had this to say:

          > As I understand it, Fedora is RedHat 9. It just no longer has RedHat's
          > support. Though all of the updates still come through RedHat, and you
          > can still use Up2date. If you go to the RedHat site, you'll find a lot
          > of info about changing over. -- d

          This is incorrect.
          The "Fedora" project existed for years providing extra RPMs to users of
          Redhat 8 and 9 (and perhaps earlier). Prior to the release of Redhat 10
          (during the beta testing, IIRC), the Fedora project and Redhat merged
          to create the first joint release, Fedora Core 1. So FC1 is effectively
          Redhat 10, minus a couple of packages (redhat-artwork, etc).
          Upgrading from Redhat 9 to FC1 is possible via apt-get (as I mentioned),
          but it does require a fast connection.
          Regards
          Damien