[linux-dell-laptops]Unbootable Dell Inspiron 8200

  • David Amundson
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2004
      My Dell Inspiron 8200 went unbootable the other day when I was trying to set up a dual-boot (XP/Linux) system with System Commander to set up partitions.

      Does anyone know of a software solution for the startup mess I seem to have made? The machine turns on, but I can't find any way to get to a menu, OS, or program.

      thanks
    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2004
        Did you try booting from the Partition Commander CD? I used PC to setup
        my i8600. My PC cd came with System Commander. If you have the option of
        booting from a floppy, boot from a windows rescue floppy. From there run
        fdisk /mbr, which reinstalls the master boot record to your primary hard
        drive partition. Also, if I remember correctly, PC has the option to set
        the boot flag on the partition you want to use. You didn´t say which
        linux distro you´re using.

        Now, if you can give more details regarding error messages, boot
        options, i.e. floppy or CD, Linux distro, etc., more help might be
        forthcoming. I have the PC / SC manual and can try to help if you
        provide a little more info. -- d

        On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 11:13, David Amundson wrote:
        > My Dell Inspiron 8200 went unbootable the other day when I was trying to set up a dual-boot (XP/Linux) system with System Commander to set up partitions.
        >
        > Does anyone know of a software solution for the startup mess I seem to have made? The machine turns on, but I can't find any way to get to a menu, OS, or program.
        >
        > thanks

      • Gus Wiening
        Message 3 of 16 , May 4, 2004
          --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
          wrote:
          > Did you try booting from the Partition Commander CD?
          > I used PC to setup
          > my i8600. My PC cd came with System Commander. If
          > you have the option of
          > booting from a floppy, boot from a windows rescue
          > floppy. From there run
          > fdisk /mbr, which reinstalls the master boot record
          > to your primary hard
          > drive partition. Also, if I remember correctly, PC
          > has the option to set
          > the boot flag on the partition you want to use. You
          > didn�t say which
          > linux distro you�re using.
          >
          > Now, if you can give more details regarding error
          > messages, boot
          > options, i.e. floppy or CD, Linux distro, etc., more
          > help might be
          > forthcoming. I have the PC / SC manual and can try
          > to help if you
          > provide a little more info. -- d

          I'm a fan of LILO, personally... though if you don't
          have any idea of how to do the configuration file it
          might not be for you. What I've done in the past to
          re-install LILO on a machine where the MBR was
          bad/replaced is boot to a Linux CD (usually use the
          Slackware install CD) and mount the / partition, then
          chroot to the mount point, 'source /etc/profile', and
          'lilo'

          After this, usually a quick reboot is all that's
          needed to bring the system back to operational... of
          course, if you have never configured LILO before
          you'll probably do more harm than good with that
          process.

          > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 11:13, David Amundson wrote:
          > > My Dell Inspiron 8200 went unbootable the other
          > day when I was trying to set up a dual-boot
          > (XP/Linux) system with System Commander to set up
          > partitions.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know of a software solution for the
          > startup mess I seem to have made? The machine turns
          > on, but I can't find any way to get to a menu, OS,
          > or program.
          > >
          > > thanks

          =====
          Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
          There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
          Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
          Though down that road we've been so many times...
          - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

        • Douglas S. Oliver
          Message 4 of 16 , May 4, 2004
            The benefit of grub is that you only have to edit the grub.conf file,
            which on a rh9 system is usually in /boot/grub/. With lilo, if you edit
            the lilo.conf file, you need to run lilo again. In general, grub is more
            robust, but many lilo users don't like to change to grub if not needed.
            I always used to use lilo instead of grub, but once I got comfortable
            with grub, I was hooked.

            The format of the grub.conf file is different from lilo.conf. When a new
            grub user sees a grub file for the first time, the response is usually,
            "forget it!" (My initial response.) -- d

          • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
            • Gus Wiening
              Message 6 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                --- mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > > The benefit of grub is that you only have to edit
                > the
                > > grub.conf file, which on a rh9 system is usually
                > in
                > > /boot/grub/. With lilo, if you edit the lilo.conf
                > file, you
                > > need to run lilo again. In general, grub is more
                > robust,
                > > but many lilo users don't like to change to grub
                > if not
                > > needed. I always used to use lilo instead of grub,
                > but once
                > > I got comfortable with grub, I was hooked.
                > >
                > > The format of the grub.conf file is different from
                > > lilo.conf. When a new grub user sees a grub file
                > for the
                > > first time, the response is usually, "forget it!"
                > (My
                > > initial response.) -- d
                >
                > I'm not a Linux expert, but I find Grub very easy to
                > handle.
                >
                > Simply modifying Grub's menu.lst does the job when
                > you have
                > installed a new kernel.
                >
                > Simply copy an existing section, modify it matching
                > the new
                > kernel's files and you're done.
                >
                > Great!

                I've tried using GRUB before. I wasn't successful.

                This could be because I was trying to install it from
                a FreeBSD machine rather than a Linux machine (I'm
                considerably less literate with BSD than Linux). Could
                someone give me an example of their grub configuration
                file(s) they're using in their laptop, so I can get a
                look? I've perused the help files for it, but I
                haven't been able to get it working.

                On an incredibly off-topic note, I've been thinking of
                making my desktop machine at home (was 2k/Linux, but
                Linux hard drive died) 2k/FreeBSD... but I haven't
                found a Flash/Shockwave player for any BSD. Anyone
                know if there is one?

                =====
                Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                Though down that road we've been so many times...
                - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

              • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de

                  Hi,

                  > This could be because I was trying to install it from
                  > a FreeBSD machine rather than a Linux machine (I'm
                  > considerably less literate with BSD than Linux).

                  AFAIK Grub is able to read directly from a filesystem, also if
                  no OS is yet loaded. Maybe BSD uses a FS that Grub doesn't
                  know?

                  > Could
                  > someone give me an example of their grub configuration
                  > file(s) they're using in their laptop, so I can get a
                  > look? I've perused the help files for it, but I
                  > haven't been able to get it working.

                  File included. MDK 9.2 Kernel 2.4 grub (GNU GRUB 0.93).

                  But originally it was created by YaST on a SuSE 9.0 box.

                  === FILE ===

                  color white/blue black/light-gray
                  default 0
                  timeout 3
                  gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message

                  title Sumsi
                  kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x31a
                  splash=silent desktop hdb=ide-scsi hdblun=0 showopts acpi=off
                  noapic desktop
                  initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd

                  title Mandrake
                  kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk root=/dev/hda3
                  vga=0x31a acpi=off noapic desktop hdb=ide-scsi
                  initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img

                  title Diskette
                  root (fd0)
                  chainloader +1

                  title Failsafe
                  kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 showopts
                  ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp noapic maxcpus=0
                  3
                  initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd

                  title Speichertest
                  kernel (hd0,1)/boot/memtest.bin

                  === EOF ===

                  Gruß / regards

                  ce

                  ======
                  Jabber: HomoSapientz@...

                  SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
                  http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                  ======

                • Douglas S. Oliver
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                    And I'll add my grub file. RedHat's grub file is grub.conf. It also has
                    the grub menu. files but they are links to grub.conf. Here's mine; you
                    can see how I have edited it a few times:

                    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
                    #
                    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
                    file
                    # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
                    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
                    # root (hd0,4)
                    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda6
                    # initrd /initrd-version.img
                    #boot=/dev/hda
                    default=2
                    timeout=10
                    splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
                    #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-30.9BOOT)
                    # root (hd0,4)
                    # kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-30.9BOOT ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
                    # initrd /initrd-2.4.20-30.9BOOT.img
                    #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-31.9BOOT)
                    # root (hd0,4)
                    # kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-31.9BOOT ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
                    # initrd /initrd-2.4.20-31.9BOOT.img

                    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-31.9)
                    root (hd0,4)
                    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-31.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
                    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-31.9.img

                    #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-30.9)
                    # root (hd0,4)
                    # kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-30.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
                    # initrd /initrd-2.4.20-30.9.img
                    #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-28.9)
                    # root (hd0,4)
                    # kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-28.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
                    # initrd /initrd-2.4.20-28.9.img
                    #title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-27.9)
                    # root (hd0,4)
                    # kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-27.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
                    # initrd /initrd-2.4.20-27.9.img
                    #title WinXP
                    # rootnoverify (hd0,1)
                    # chainloader +1
                    #title WinXP test
                    # rootnoverify (hd0,0)
                    # chainloader +1

                    On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 12:57, mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > > This could be because I was trying to install it from
                    > > a FreeBSD machine rather than a Linux machine (I'm
                    > > considerably less literate with BSD than Linux).
                    >
                    > AFAIK Grub is able to read directly from a filesystem, also if
                    > no OS is yet loaded. Maybe BSD uses a FS that Grub doesn't
                    > know?
                    >
                    > > Could
                    > > someone give me an example of their grub configuration
                    > > file(s) they're using in their laptop, so I can get a
                    > > look? I've perused the help files for it, but I
                    > > haven't been able to get it working.
                    >
                    > File included. MDK 9.2 Kernel 2.4 grub (GNU GRUB 0.93).
                    >
                    > But originally it was created by YaST on a SuSE 9.0 box.
                    >

                    > === FILE ===
                    >
                    > color white/blue black/light-gray
                    > default 0
                    > timeout 3
                    > gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
                    >
                    > title Sumsi
                    > kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x31a
                    > splash=silent desktop hdb=ide-scsi hdblun=0 showopts acpi=off
                    > noapic desktop
                    > initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd
                    >
                    > title Mandrake
                    > kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk root=/dev/hda3
                    > vga=0x31a acpi=off noapic desktop hdb=ide-scsi
                    > initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img
                    >
                    > title Diskette
                    > root (fd0)
                    > chainloader +1
                    >
                    > title Failsafe
                    > kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 showopts
                    > ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp noapic maxcpus=0
                    > 3
                    > initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd
                    >

                    > title Speichertest
                    > kernel (hd0,1)/boot/memtest.bin
                    >
                    > === EOF ===
                    >

                    > Gruß / regards
                    >

                    > ce
                    >
                    > ======
                    > Jabber: HomoSapientz@...
                    >
                    > SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200:
                    > http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                    > ======

                  • Gus Wiening
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 4, 2004
                      --- "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
                      wrote:
                      > And I'll add my grub file. RedHat's grub file is
                      > grub.conf. It also has
                      > the grub menu. files but they are links to
                      > grub.conf. Here's mine; you
                      > can see how I have edited it a few times:

                      -- SNIP --

                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > > This could be because I was trying to install it
                      > from
                      > > > a FreeBSD machine rather than a Linux machine
                      > (I'm
                      > > > considerably less literate with BSD than Linux).
                      > >
                      > > AFAIK Grub is able to read directly from a
                      > filesystem, also if
                      > > no OS is yet loaded. Maybe BSD uses a FS that Grub
                      > doesn't
                      > > know?

                      I don't recall off of the top of my head what FS that
                      BSD uses. I know that it divides up drive space
                      differently... my / "partition" (actually called a
                      "slice" in BSD terminology) had a device name of
                      '/dev/wd0s1a', meaning IDE channel 0, slice 1, chunk
                      1... or at least I *think* that's what the name means.
                      I really need to set up a BSD machine to fiddle with
                      again, as it's nifty in it's non-Linuxness ;)

                      But FreeBSD's ports tree contained GRUB, and GRUB
                      supposedly supports BSD... oh well, I'll play some
                      more.

                      > > > Could
                      > > > someone give me an example of their grub
                      > configuration
                      > > > file(s) they're using in their laptop, so I can
                      > get a
                      > > > look? I've perused the help files for it, but I
                      > > > haven't been able to get it working.
                      > >
                      > > File included. MDK 9.2 Kernel 2.4 grub (GNU GRUB
                      > 0.93).
                      > >
                      > > But originally it was created by YaST on a SuSE
                      > 9.0 box.

                      -- SNIP --

                      Thanks for the conf files... I'll toy around a bit and
                      see how much damage I can do ;)

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                        Thanks, Gus, and those of you who made good suggestions. In fact I did try the Linux boot (and the Win98 boot), but a local repairman said the lack of response [first pair of idiot lights only most of the time, then an occasional flicker from the charging system (third pair of idiot lights) and an occasional glow from the middle pair] suggested hardware failure as the problem (i.e., I probably need a new motherboard). So it goes.
                        > > Did you try booting from the Partition Commander CD?
                        > > I used PC to setup
                        > > my i8600. My PC cd came with System Commander. If
                        > > you have the option of
                        > > booting from a floppy, boot from a windows rescue
                        > > floppy. From there run
                        > > fdisk /mbr, which reinstalls the master boot record
                        > > to your primary hard
                        > > drive partition. Also, if I remember correctly, PC
                        > > has the option to set
                        > > the boot flag on the partition you want to use. You
                        > > didn´t say which
                        > > linux distro you´re using.
                        > >
                        > > Now, if you can give more details regarding error
                        > > messages, boot
                        > > options, i.e. floppy or CD, Linux distro, etc., more
                        > > help might be
                        > > forthcoming. I have the PC / SC manual and can try
                        > > to help if you
                        > > provide a little more info. -- d
                        >
                        > I'm a fan of LILO, personally... though if you don't
                        > have any idea of how to do the configuration file it
                        > might not be for you. What I've done in the past to
                        > re-install LILO on a machine where the MBR was
                        > bad/replaced is boot to a Linux CD (usually use the
                        > Slackware install CD) and mount the / partition, then
                        > chroot to the mount point, 'source /etc/profile', and
                        > 'lilo'
                        >
                        > After this, usually a quick reboot is all that's
                        > needed to bring the system back to operational... of
                        > course, if you have never configured LILO before
                        > you'll probably do more harm than good with that
                        > process.
                        >
                        > > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 11:13, David Amundson wrote:
                        > > > My Dell Inspiron 8200 went unbootable the other
                        > > day when I was trying to set up a dual-boot
                        > > (XP/Linux) system with System Commander to set up
                        > > partitions.
                        > > >
                        > > > Does anyone know of a software solution for the
                        > > startup mess I seem to have made? The machine turns
                        > > on, but I can't find any way to get to a menu, OS,
                        > > or program.
                        > > >
                        > > > thanks

                        > =====
                        > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                        > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                        > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                        > Though down that road we've been so many times...
                        > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                      • Douglas S. Oliver
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                          So you weren't able to get into a bios/cmos screen at all? Yeah, that's
                          bad. -- d

                        • Richard Belshoff
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                            The ac power adapter on my I8200 is becoming frayed right at the point
                            where it plugs into the laptop, and is starting to short out every now
                            and then, and so it sometimes switches over to battery power even when
                            it's plugged into the wall outlet. I think I'm going to have to order
                            another ac power adapter before this one wears out entirely.

                            I know this has nothing to do with linux ,but I was just wondering:
                            Has anyone else had this problem?

                            Richard.
                          • Chris Mauricio
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                              My I2100 did the same thing at the strain relief widget- I called Dell
                              support, explained the problem, they sent me a new PS next day ( 3 Year NBD
                              onsite service... YMMV )

                              On Wednesday 05 May 2004 11:37, Richard Belshoff wrote:
                              > The ac power adapter on my I8200 is becoming frayed right at the point
                              > where it plugs into the laptop, and is starting to short out every now
                              > and then, and so it sometimes switches over to battery power even when
                              > it's plugged into the wall outlet. I think I'm going to have to order
                              > another ac power adapter before this one wears out entirely.
                              >
                              > I know this has nothing to do with linux ,but I was just wondering:
                              > Has anyone else had this problem?
                              >
                              > Richard.

                            • Kenneth Crudup
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                                On Wed, 5 May 2004, Richard Belshoff wrote:

                                > The ac power adapter on my I8200 is becoming frayed right at the point
                                > where it plugs into the laptop, and is starting to short out every now
                                > and then

                                > Has anyone else had this problem?

                                Yeah, I have a spare PSU that's doing that. I was able to solder back the
                                wires and wrap 'em in heat-shrink tubing.

                                However:

                                > I think I'm going to have to order another ac power adapter before
                                > this one wears out entirely.

                                Go eBay. All the sellers are dicking people around on shipping ($7.00!),
                                but this guy's got a few PA-9s for $18 for a total of $25:

                                http://tinyurl.com/ywsl3

                                -Kenny

                                --
                                Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
                                H: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809 (888) 454-8181

                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 5, 2004
                                    Mine frayed and nearly broke on the strain relief
                                    coming out of the 'brick' itself. I too called up Dell
                                    and explained, and they sent a replacement that I got
                                    the very next day.

                                    I advise everyone buying a dell to get 3-year onsite
                                    service... you'll need it. ;)

                                    Though to be fair, they actually replaced my cracked
                                    lid... big black piece that holds the round "DELL"
                                    logo.

                                    =====