Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Fan stops on an Dell Inspiron

  • IbericoVespucio
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2004
      Respondiendo a Nikolas Olivier [[linux-dell-laptops] Fan stops on an Dell Inspiron], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 09:50:48 (+0200)

      > I've just received an Inspiron from my company on which I put a
      > Debian. The problem is that the fan stops sometimes and never turns
      > back on [.....] Sometimes, it works the whole day whithout
      > troubles, but it becomes less and less often.

      Summer comming up?

      >I'm running a 2.6.5 with acpi enabled. I've got no entry in
      >/proc/acpi/fan and the laptop is not recognized by i8k, even when I
      >force the module.

      I would try disableing ACPI to chek if it is faulty or it is an
      internal problem. In my Inspiron 8600 fans ran allright
      without either apm and acpi. BIOS seemed to manage them.

      By the way, Now I have ACPI enabled and have notticed differences
      between with- or without- i8k: with i8k the HD area gets warmer, so
      suspect i8k donnot manage all senesors and I stopped using it.

      Ángel.

      --
      ibericovespucio
      @...

      Intento comprender la verdad, aunque esto comprometa mi ideología.
      -- Graham Greene.
    • Nikolas Olivier
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2004
        On sam, mai 01, 2004 à 12:56:56 +0200, IbericoVespucio wrote:
        > Respondiendo a Nikolas Olivier [[linux-dell-laptops] Fan stops on an Dell Inspiron], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 09:50:48 (+0200)
        >
        > > I've just received an Inspiron from my company on which I put a
        > > Debian. The problem is that the fan stops sometimes and never turns
        > > back on [.....] Sometimes, it works the whole day whithout
        > > troubles, but it becomes less and less often.
        >
        > Summer comming up?

        Yeah, everybody's getting tired when summer comes up...

        > >I'm running a 2.6.5 with acpi enabled. I've got no entry in
        > >/proc/acpi/fan and the laptop is not recognized by i8k, even when I
        > >force the module.
        >
        > I would try disableing ACPI to chek if it is faulty or it is an
        > internal problem. In my Inspiron 8600 fans ran allright
        > without either apm and acpi. BIOS seemed to manage them.

        I tried without ACPI, and it's the same. And i've also tried to go back to 2.4.26, 2.4.25 also, and still the same. I think it must be an hardware problem at this point.

        > By the way, Now I have ACPI enabled and have notticed differences
        > between with- or without- i8k: with i8k the HD area gets warmer, so
        > suspect i8k donnot manage all senesors and I stopped using it.
        >
        > Ángel.
        >
        > --
        > ibericovespucio
        > @...
        >
        > Intento comprender la verdad, aunque esto comprometa mi ideología.
        > -- Graham Greene.

      • IbericoVespucio
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2004
          Respondiendo a Nikolas Olivier [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Fan stops on an Dell Inspiron], del 03 de mayo de 2004 a las 14:50:41 (+0200)

          > I tried without ACPI, and it's the same. And i've also tried to go back to 2.4.26, 2.4.25 also, and still the same. I think it must be an hardware problem at this point.

          It looks like. Last check: try with the «Drivers and utilities» CD
          which comes with I8600. It es a bootable CD and lets you to pass
          several diagnosis, fans included. Also, yo can leave it on, without
          boot for hours. Sometime, fans should run....

          Ángel.

          --
          ibericovespucio
          @...

          Lo que se recibe se recibe al modo del recipiente.
          -- Santo Tomás de Aquino. (1225-1274)