Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '» ' Character on a laptop

  • IbericoVespucio
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 3:41 AM
      Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '»' Character on a laptop], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 22:09:35 (-0700)

      > I was just wondering; what does AltGr stand for? As I have been setting
      > up my system to use Esperanto keys, I often see reference to AltGr. It
      > is always for a German system. -- d

      Spanish keyboard: Alt-GR is the key just at the right of Spacer and at
      the left of the right-Control. (Somewhere there use to be, also, a Win-Key)

      Inspiron 8600: <AltGr-x> = »
      <AltGr-z> = «

      Ángel.

      --
      ibericovespucio
      @...

      "No nos molestan aquellos defectos que nosotros no tenemos."
      (Miguel de Unamuno)
    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2 10:54 AM
        Thanks to everyone who replied to my side query re the AltGr key. Now
        for another stupid question, on my i8600 what does the ¨windows¨ key do
        or allow me to do (in Linux)? I´ve been using computers since 1976 long
        before that key appeared, so I´ve sadly ignored it. It was just another
        key I didn´t need. But now I think it´s time for me to enter the curent
        computing age. That key is the one between the Fn key and the leftAlt
        key.

        Thanks, d

        On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 03:41, IbericoVespucio wrote:
        > Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '»' Character on a laptop], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 22:09:35 (-0700)
        >
        > > I was just wondering; what does AltGr stand for? As I have been setting
        > > up my system to use Esperanto keys, I often see reference to AltGr. It
        > > is always for a German system. -- d
        >
        > Spanish keyboard: Alt-GR is the key just at the right of Spacer and at
        > the left of the right-Control. (Somewhere there use to be, also, a Win-Key)
        >
        > Inspiron 8600: <AltGr-x> = »
        > <AltGr-z> = «
        >

        > Ángel.
      • IbericoVespucio
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2 1:53 PM
          Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '»' Character on a laptop], del 02 de mayo de 2004 a las 10:54:37 (-0700)

          > [.....] , on my i8600 what does the šwindowsš key do
          > or allow me to do (in Linux)? IŽve been using computers since 1976 long
          > before that key appeared, so IŽve sadly ignored it. It was just another
          > key I didnŽt need. But now I think itŽs time for me to enter the curent
          > computing age. That key is the one between the Fn key and the leftAlt
          > key.

          I use it to lauch the menu in Icewm. Just needed to select the
          apropriate option with icepref. Any way, you probably can map it to
          open thd CD, launch the screensaver, ...

          Ángel.

          --
          ibericovespucio
          @...

          "Quien lejos va a cazar: o va engañado o va a engañar"
        • arun lal
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2 3:54 PM
            hi all

            I know there are lot of posts about this, still I need
            to know most updated workaround.

            The Problem: the screen size has shrank to half of the
            LCD panel size.
            I tried 845patch. It gave some error while running.
            Still , I was able to set the VideoRam size to 20000.
            But then what. How to know if something has changed?

            I tried installing Intel Graphics driver for Linux.
            After installtion, it won't start X windows.

            Now my question is, what is the easy solution of this
            problem. Changing Kernel? Or BIOS? or something else?
            If I need to remove 845patch from X11, how shud I do
            it?

            this is a great community...thanks

            -arun