Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '» ' Character on a laptop

  • IbericoVespucio
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2004
      Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '»' Character on a laptop], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 22:09:35 (-0700)

      > I was just wondering; what does AltGr stand for? As I have been setting
      > up my system to use Esperanto keys, I often see reference to AltGr. It
      > is always for a German system. -- d

      Spanish keyboard: Alt-GR is the key just at the right of Spacer and at
      the left of the right-Control. (Somewhere there use to be, also, a Win-Key)

      Inspiron 8600: <AltGr-x> = »
      <AltGr-z> = «

      Ángel.

      --
      ibericovespucio
      @...

      "No nos molestan aquellos defectos que nosotros no tenemos."
      (Miguel de Unamuno)
    • Ivan Fernandez Pelaez
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2004
        It's usually setup to be the right alt key. I think the X KeySym (for
        xmodmap and so) is Mode_switch. Sometimes it's also referred to as the
        "compose key". It's definitely used in Spanish keyboards too.

        --
        Ivan Fernández
        ivan.fernandez@...
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2004
          Thanks to everyone who replied to my side query re the AltGr key. Now
          for another stupid question, on my i8600 what does the ¨windows¨ key do
          or allow me to do (in Linux)? I´ve been using computers since 1976 long
          before that key appeared, so I´ve sadly ignored it. It was just another
          key I didn´t need. But now I think it´s time for me to enter the curent
          computing age. That key is the one between the Fn key and the leftAlt
          key.

          Thanks, d

          On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 03:41, IbericoVespucio wrote:
          > Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '»' Character on a laptop], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 22:09:35 (-0700)
          >
          > > I was just wondering; what does AltGr stand for? As I have been setting
          > > up my system to use Esperanto keys, I often see reference to AltGr. It
          > > is always for a German system. -- d
          >
          > Spanish keyboard: Alt-GR is the key just at the right of Spacer and at
          > the left of the right-Control. (Somewhere there use to be, also, a Win-Key)
          >
          > Inspiron 8600: <AltGr-x> = »
          > <AltGr-z> = «
          >

          > Ángel.
        • IbericoVespucio
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2004
            Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '»' Character on a laptop], del 02 de mayo de 2004 a las 10:54:37 (-0700)

            > [.....] , on my i8600 what does the šwindowsš key do
            > or allow me to do (in Linux)? IŽve been using computers since 1976 long
            > before that key appeared, so IŽve sadly ignored it. It was just another
            > key I didnŽt need. But now I think itŽs time for me to enter the curent
            > computing age. That key is the one between the Fn key and the leftAlt
            > key.

            I use it to lauch the menu in Icewm. Just needed to select the
            apropriate option with icepref. Any way, you probably can map it to
            open thd CD, launch the screensaver, ...

            Ángel.

            --
            ibericovespucio
            @...

            "Quien lejos va a cazar: o va engañado o va a engañar"
          • arun lal
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2004
              hi all

              I know there are lot of posts about this, still I need
              to know most updated workaround.

              The Problem: the screen size has shrank to half of the
              LCD panel size.
              I tried 845patch. It gave some error while running.
              Still , I was able to set the VideoRam size to 20000.
              But then what. How to know if something has changed?

              I tried installing Intel Graphics driver for Linux.
              After installtion, it won't start X windows.

              Now my question is, what is the easy solution of this
              problem. Changing Kernel? Or BIOS? or something else?
              If I need to remove 845patch from X11, how shud I do
              it?

              this is a great community...thanks

              -arun