Fan stops on an Dell Inspiron

  • Nikolas Olivier
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 12:50 AM

      I've just received an Inspiron from my company on which I put a Debian. The problem is that the fan stops sometimes and never turns back on, until I halt the system (the reboot is ineffective). Sometimes, it works the whole day whithout troubles, but it becomes less and less often. I'm running a 2.6.5 with acpi enabled. I've got no entry in /proc/acpi/fan and the laptop is not recognized by i8k, even when I force the module.
      So, is that problem happened to someone, or anyone have suggestions...
      Thanks in advance.

      Regards,
      Nikolas Olivier.

      --
    • Gus Wiening
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30 10:55 AM
        What version of Inspiron do you have? If you hit Fn-Z, can you get the fans to start back up? I recommend you start up GKrellM and enable the temp. sensor (this should work since you have ACPI) and watch. The fan should definately kick in once the CPU hits 60 degrees C... if it doesn't, hit Fn-Z and see if it starts up (this causes the bios to re-read the temp). If that doesn't work, I would surmise your ACPI system is a touch SNAFU... and I'd recommend a reconfiguration of your kernel.

        Nikolas Olivier <kerso@...> wrote:

        Hi,

        I've just received an Inspiron from my company on which I put a Debian. The problem is that the fan stops sometimes and never turns back on, until I  halt the system (the reboot is ineffective). Sometimes, it works the whole day whithout troubles, but it becomes less and less often. I'm running a 2.6.5 with acpi enabled. I've got no entry in /proc/acpi/fan and the laptop is not recognized by i8k, even when I force the module.
        So, is that problem happened to someone, or anyone have suggestions...
        Thanks in advance.

        Regards,
        Nikolas Olivier.

        Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
        There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
        Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
        Though down that road we've been so many times...

        - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • IbericoVespucio
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2004
          Respondiendo a Nikolas Olivier [[linux-dell-laptops] Fan stops on an Dell Inspiron], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 09:50:48 (+0200)

          > I've just received an Inspiron from my company on which I put a
          > Debian. The problem is that the fan stops sometimes and never turns
          > back on [.....] Sometimes, it works the whole day whithout
          > troubles, but it becomes less and less often.

          Summer comming up?

          >I'm running a 2.6.5 with acpi enabled. I've got no entry in
          >/proc/acpi/fan and the laptop is not recognized by i8k, even when I
          >force the module.

          I would try disableing ACPI to chek if it is faulty or it is an
          internal problem. In my Inspiron 8600 fans ran allright
          without either apm and acpi. BIOS seemed to manage them.

          By the way, Now I have ACPI enabled and have notticed differences
          between with- or without- i8k: with i8k the HD area gets warmer, so
          suspect i8k donnot manage all senesors and I stopped using it.

          Ángel.

          --
          ibericovespucio
          @...

          Intento comprender la verdad, aunque esto comprometa mi ideología.
          -- Graham Greene.
        • Nikolas Olivier
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2004
            On sam, mai 01, 2004 à 12:56:56 +0200, IbericoVespucio wrote:
            > Respondiendo a Nikolas Olivier [[linux-dell-laptops] Fan stops on an Dell Inspiron], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 09:50:48 (+0200)
            >
            > > I've just received an Inspiron from my company on which I put a
            > > Debian. The problem is that the fan stops sometimes and never turns
            > > back on [.....] Sometimes, it works the whole day whithout
            > > troubles, but it becomes less and less often.
            >
            > Summer comming up?

            Yeah, everybody's getting tired when summer comes up...

            > >I'm running a 2.6.5 with acpi enabled. I've got no entry in
            > >/proc/acpi/fan and the laptop is not recognized by i8k, even when I
            > >force the module.
            >
            > I would try disableing ACPI to chek if it is faulty or it is an
            > internal problem. In my Inspiron 8600 fans ran allright
            > without either apm and acpi. BIOS seemed to manage them.

            I tried without ACPI, and it's the same. And i've also tried to go back to 2.4.26, 2.4.25 also, and still the same. I think it must be an hardware problem at this point.

            > By the way, Now I have ACPI enabled and have notticed differences
            > between with- or without- i8k: with i8k the HD area gets warmer, so
            > suspect i8k donnot manage all senesors and I stopped using it.
            >
            > Ángel.
            >
            > --
            > ibericovespucio
            > @...
            >
            > Intento comprender la verdad, aunque esto comprometa mi ideología.
            > -- Graham Greene.

          • IbericoVespucio
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2004
              Respondiendo a Nikolas Olivier [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Fan stops on an Dell Inspiron], del 03 de mayo de 2004 a las 14:50:41 (+0200)

              > I tried without ACPI, and it's the same. And i've also tried to go back to 2.4.26, 2.4.25 also, and still the same. I think it must be an hardware problem at this point.

              It looks like. Last check: try with the «Drivers and utilities» CD
              which comes with I8600. It es a bootable CD and lets you to pass
              several diagnosis, fans included. Also, yo can leave it on, without
              boot for hours. Sometime, fans should run....

              Ángel.

              --
              ibericovespucio
              @...

              Lo que se recibe se recibe al modo del recipiente.
              -- Santo Tomás de Aquino. (1225-1274)