The '»' Character on a laptop

  • David Vergin
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29, 2004
      I use Perl a lot. And Perl 6 is going to use the '»' character
      ("right-pointing double angle quotation mark").

      I am told I can produce it by holding down ALT and typing 0187 or 187 on
      the numeric keypad of a standard keyboard.

      But how do I get this character on my I7500 laptop? (Without resorting
      to copy-paste as I did here.) I've tried ALT-Fn and the blue numbers
      under my right hand. I've tried ALT and the top-row numbers. Nothing
      seems to work.

      Certainly a key mapping could be set up. But is it possible on a "stock"
      setup?

      dv
    • Vadim E. Ulybin
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2004
        Hi there!

        David Vergin wrote:
        > I use Perl a lot. And Perl 6 is going to use the '»' character
        > ("right-pointing double angle quotation mark").
        >
        > I am told I can produce it by holding down ALT and typing 0187 or 187 on
        > the numeric keypad of a standard keyboard.
        >
        > But how do I get this character on my I7500 laptop? (Without resorting
        > to copy-paste as I did here.) I've tried ALT-Fn and the blue numbers
        > under my right hand. I've tried ALT and the top-row numbers. Nothing
        > seems to work.

        I've tried it on my LatitudeCPx... yep, it doesn't work ;-) then I tried
        on the desktop-PC with the same MDK-10.0... still doesn't work. So _I_
        think may be it's a problem of a whole Linux keymappings or k/b pressing
        implementation by the kernel?

        Did You made this trick on any desktop with _Your_ version of Laptop's
        installation of Linux? Does it work?

        > Certainly a key mapping could be set up. But is it possible on a "stock"
        > setup?
        PS: I tried on gnome-term =)

        --
        WBR, Vadim E. Ulybin.
      • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
        • Douglas S. Oliver
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30, 2004
            I was just wondering; what does AltGr stand for? As I have been setting up my system to use Esperanto keys, I often see reference to AltGr. It is always for a German system. -- d

            On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 09:31, mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • IbericoVespucio
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2004
              Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '»' Character on a laptop], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 22:09:35 (-0700)

              > I was just wondering; what does AltGr stand for? As I have been setting
              > up my system to use Esperanto keys, I often see reference to AltGr. It
              > is always for a German system. -- d

              Spanish keyboard: Alt-GR is the key just at the right of Spacer and at
              the left of the right-Control. (Somewhere there use to be, also, a Win-Key)

              Inspiron 8600: <AltGr-x> = »
              <AltGr-z> = «

              Ángel.

              --
              ibericovespucio
              @...

              "No nos molestan aquellos defectos que nosotros no tenemos."
              (Miguel de Unamuno)
            • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
              • Ivan Fernandez Pelaez
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2004
                  It's usually setup to be the right alt key. I think the X KeySym (for
                  xmodmap and so) is Mode_switch. Sometimes it's also referred to as the
                  "compose key". It's definitely used in Spanish keyboards too.

                  On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 10:09:35PM -0700, Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
                  > I was just wondering; what does AltGr stand for? As I have been setting
                  > up my system to use Esperanto keys, I often see reference to AltGr. It
                  > is always for a German system. -- d
                  >
                  > On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 09:31, mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:

                  --
                  Ivan Fernández
                  ivan.fernandez@...
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2004
                    Thanks to everyone who replied to my side query re the AltGr key. Now
                    for another stupid question, on my i8600 what does the ¨windows¨ key do
                    or allow me to do (in Linux)? I´ve been using computers since 1976 long
                    before that key appeared, so I´ve sadly ignored it. It was just another
                    key I didn´t need. But now I think it´s time for me to enter the curent
                    computing age. That key is the one between the Fn key and the leftAlt
                    key.

                    Thanks, d

                    On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 03:41, IbericoVespucio wrote:
                    > Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '»' Character on a laptop], del 30 de abril de 2004 a las 22:09:35 (-0700)
                    >
                    > > I was just wondering; what does AltGr stand for? As I have been setting
                    > > up my system to use Esperanto keys, I often see reference to AltGr. It
                    > > is always for a German system. -- d
                    >
                    > Spanish keyboard: Alt-GR is the key just at the right of Spacer and at
                    > the left of the right-Control. (Somewhere there use to be, also, a Win-Key)
                    >
                    > Inspiron 8600: <AltGr-x> = »
                    > <AltGr-z> = «
                    >

                    > Ángel.
                  • IbericoVespucio
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2004
                      Respondiendo a Douglas S. Oliver [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] The '»' Character on a laptop], del 02 de mayo de 2004 a las 10:54:37 (-0700)

                      > [.....] , on my i8600 what does the šwindowsš key do
                      > or allow me to do (in Linux)? IŽve been using computers since 1976 long
                      > before that key appeared, so IŽve sadly ignored it. It was just another
                      > key I didnŽt need. But now I think itŽs time for me to enter the curent
                      > computing age. That key is the one between the Fn key and the leftAlt
                      > key.

                      I use it to lauch the menu in Icewm. Just needed to select the
                      apropriate option with icepref. Any way, you probably can map it to
                      open thd CD, launch the screensaver, ...

                      Ángel.

                      --
                      ibericovespucio
                      @...

                      "Quien lejos va a cazar: o va engañado o va a engañar"
                    • arun lal
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2004
                        hi all

                        I know there are lot of posts about this, still I need
                        to know most updated workaround.

                        The Problem: the screen size has shrank to half of the
                        LCD panel size.
                        I tried 845patch. It gave some error while running.
                        Still , I was able to set the VideoRam size to 20000.
                        But then what. How to know if something has changed?

                        I tried installing Intel Graphics driver for Linux.
                        After installtion, it won't start X windows.

                        Now my question is, what is the easy solution of this
                        problem. Changing Kernel? Or BIOS? or something else?
                        If I need to remove 845patch from X11, how shud I do
                        it?

                        this is a great community...thanks

                        -arun