ethernet card installation problem on inspiron 1100

  • arunkrlal
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2004
      Guys ...

      can someone help me fix this nasty thing...
      The driver for Broadcom ethernet is not compiling properly...

      "make install" commmand exits at following steps

      b44um.c: At top level:
      b44mm.h:229: storage size of timer isn't known
      b44mm.h:229: storage size of tasklet isn't known
      b44um.c:1147: storage size of 'bcm4400_pci_driver' isn't known
      make: *** [b44um.0] Error 1

      it seems some people have downloaded this damn thing pretty easily. I
      don't know how. I m using RH9.

      The compilation step is giving other errors, but it exits at this step
      only.

      can someone help plz....

      Thanks a bunch.....

      -arun
    • Marvin Pierce
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2004
        On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 09:09, arunkrlal wrote:
        > Guys ...
        >
        > can someone help me fix this nasty thing...
        > The driver for Broadcom ethernet is not compiling properly...
        >
        > "make install" commmand exits at following steps
        >
        > b44um.c: At top level:
        > b44mm.h:229: storage size of timer isn't known
        > b44mm.h:229: storage size of tasklet isn't known
        > b44um.c:1147: storage size of 'bcm4400_pci_driver' isn't known
        > make: *** [b44um.0] Error 1
        >
        > it seems some people have downloaded this damn thing pretty easily. I
        > don't know how. I m using RH9.
        >
        > The compilation step is giving other errors, but it exits at this step
        > only.
        >
        > can someone help plz....
        >
        > Thanks a bunch.....
        >
        > -arun

        There are quite a few posts on this subject but people in the know that
        may be able to help you are going to need to know what kernel you are
        using.

        Do a search of the archive on the word "broadcom" if you can.
      • Damien Solley
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2004
          Marvin Pierce had this to say:

          > On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 09:09, arunkrlal wrote:
          > > Guys ...
          > >
          > > can someone help me fix this nasty thing...
          > > The driver for Broadcom ethernet is not compiling properly...
          > >
          > > "make install" commmand exits at following steps
          > >
          > > b44um.c: At top level:
          > > b44mm.h:229: storage size of timer isn't known
          > > b44mm.h:229: storage size of tasklet isn't known
          > > b44um.c:1147: storage size of 'bcm4400_pci_driver' isn't known
          > > make: *** [b44um.0] Error 1
          > >
          > > it seems some people have downloaded this damn thing pretty easily. I
          > > don't know how. I m using RH9.
          > >
          > > The compilation step is giving other errors, but it exits at this step
          > > only.
          > >
          > > can someone help plz....
          > >
          > > Thanks a bunch.....
          > >
          > > -arun
          > >

          > There are quite a few posts on this subject but people in the know that
          > may be able to help you are going to need to know what kernel you are
          > using.
          >
          > Do a search of the archive on the word "broadcom" if you can.

          Hi Arunkrlal

          If you are using the stock RH 9 kernel, then you can try using the
          instructions at:
          http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/#redhat_9_bcm4400

          "Some of the instructions below require that GCC and kernel sources be
          installed. You can install these by running redhat-config-packages and
          ticking "Development Tools" and "Kernel Development"."

          I'm not familiar with the exact error you have (I haven't compiled that
          driver in many months), so I can't comment on it.

          An alternative to compiling the driver yourself would be to update to
          Redhat Fedora Core 1 (which has a driver built-in). Or try simply
          installing a FC1 kernel directly into RH 9. I reccommend updating to
          FC1.

          Regards

          Damien
        • arunkrlal
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 29, 2004
            I've checked it. it's kernel version 2.4.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Marvin Pierce
            <mpierce@i...> wrote:
            > On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 09:09, arunkrlal wrote:
            > > Guys ...
            > >
            > > can someone help me fix this nasty thing...
            > > The driver for Broadcom ethernet is not compiling properly...
            > >
            > > "make install" commmand exits at following steps
            > >
            > > b44um.c: At top level:
            > > b44mm.h:229: storage size of timer isn't known
            > > b44mm.h:229: storage size of tasklet isn't known
            > > b44um.c:1147: storage size of 'bcm4400_pci_driver' isn't known
            > > make: *** [b44um.0] Error 1
            > >
            > > it seems some people have downloaded this damn thing pretty easily. I
            > > don't know how. I m using RH9.
            > >
            > > The compilation step is giving other errors, but it exits at this step
            > > only.
            > >
            > > can someone help plz....
            > >
            > > Thanks a bunch.....
            > >
            > > -arun

            > There are quite a few posts on this subject but people in the know that
            > may be able to help you are going to need to know what kernel you are
            > using.
            >
            > Do a search of the archive on the word "broadcom" if you can.
          • arun lal
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2004
              Thanks Damien
              But how do I change from RH9 to FC1? Do I need to
              scrap RH9 or I can just update to FC1? Does this new
              OS will take extra space of it will work over RH9?

              -arun
              --- Damien Solley <dsolley@...>
              ---------------------------------

              Terms of Service.

            • Damien Solley
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2004
                arun lal had this to say:

                > Thanks Damien
                > But how do I change from RH9 to FC1? Do I need to
                > scrap RH9 or I can just update to FC1? Does this new
                > OS will take extra space of it will work over RH9?
                >
                > -arun

                Hi Arun
                Two options:

                1.
                If you have access to a fast connection you caan download the CD images
                for FC1. Or you might know someone with a copy. This will allow you to
                do an upgrade to FC1 by booting from the first CD.

                2.
                Alternatively, you can upgrade via apt-rpm. go to:
                http://apt.freshrpms.net
                And download the install file for RH 9. Install it.
                Then enable the updates for FC1 in /etc/apt/sources.list (read the file,
                it's simple). Run "apt-get update".
                Once you have apt installed you can have a read about it via "man
                apt-get" or google. It will allow you to install the FC1 rpms (eg the
                FC1 kernel) either piecemeal like this:
                apt-cache search kernel
                apt-get install kernel-image-xxxx
                OR you can upgrade the entire distro to FC1 by doing:
                apt-get dist-upgrade -u
                But that requires a fast connection or a lot of time downloading.

                Regards
                Damien
              • arun lal
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2004
                  The screen problem is fixed. I was not modifying my
                  XF86Config properly. Also, I removed the 845patch
                  link.

                  VOILA!!!!

                  thanks a bunch everyone....

                  -arun

                • Douglas S. Oliver
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2004
                    As I understand it, Fedora is RedHat 9. It just no longer has RedHat's
                    support. Though all of the updates still come through RedHat, and you
                    can still use Up2date. If you go to the RedHat site, you'll find a lot
                    of info about changing over. -- d

                    On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 19:06, Damien Solley wrote:
                    > arun lal had this to say:
                    >
                    > > Thanks Damien
                    > > But how do I change from RH9 to FC1? Do I need to
                    > > scrap RH9 or I can just update to FC1? Does this new
                    > > OS will take extra space of it will work over RH9?
                    > >
                    > > -arun
                    >
                    > Hi Arun
                    > Two options:
                    >
                    > 1.
                    > If you have access to a fast connection you caan download the CD images
                    > for FC1. Or you might know someone with a copy. This will allow you to
                    > do an upgrade to FC1 by booting from the first CD.
                    >
                    > 2.
                    > Alternatively, you can upgrade via apt-rpm. go to:
                    > http://apt.freshrpms.net
                    > And download the install file for RH 9. Install it.
                    > Then enable the updates for FC1 in /etc/apt/sources.list (read the file,
                    > it's simple). Run "apt-get update".
                    > Once you have apt installed you can have a read about it via "man
                    > apt-get" or google. It will allow you to install the FC1 rpms (eg the
                    > FC1 kernel) either piecemeal like this:
                    > apt-cache search kernel
                    > apt-get install kernel-image-xxxx
                    > OR you can upgrade the entire distro to FC1 by doing:
                    > apt-get dist-upgrade -u
                    > But that requires a fast connection or a lot of time downloading.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Damien

                  • Damien Solley
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2004
                      Douglas S. Oliver had this to say:

                      > As I understand it, Fedora is RedHat 9. It just no longer has RedHat's
                      > support. Though all of the updates still come through RedHat, and you
                      > can still use Up2date. If you go to the RedHat site, you'll find a lot
                      > of info about changing over. -- d

                      This is incorrect.
                      The "Fedora" project existed for years providing extra RPMs to users of
                      Redhat 8 and 9 (and perhaps earlier). Prior to the release of Redhat 10
                      (during the beta testing, IIRC), the Fedora project and Redhat merged
                      to create the first joint release, Fedora Core 1. So FC1 is effectively
                      Redhat 10, minus a couple of packages (redhat-artwork, etc).
                      Upgrading from Redhat 9 to FC1 is possible via apt-get (as I mentioned),
                      but it does require a fast connection.
                      Regards
                      Damien