User Profile on Knoppix-STD

  • Luis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2004
      I wanted to see if anyone can help me out with this.
      I installed knoppix-std on my laptop...and it works
      fine....now if i login with my "user" account...under
      the KDE menu i have all the programs that the
      knoppix-std distro brings (cracking/hacking/network
      security tools...etc)...however....if i login using
      root.....my KDE menu does not have these
      options?...now what i am trying to do is make my
      "user" account pretty much "root"...i dont find a
      reason to be using su or sudo on my own laptop....gets
      kind of annoying honestly...under /etc/passwd....i
      changed my users settings from
      user:x:1000:1000:Knoppix User:/home/user:/bin/bash

      user:x:0:0:Knoppix User:/home/user:/bin/bash

      from what i see...this is equivalent to the root user
      settings:

      root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

      i also changed my /etc/group file from:

      user:x:1000:root

      root:x:0:user

      now....when i log in with my "user" name...i get the
      same KDE menus as i would if i logged in as root...the
      only main difference is that now my "user" name is
      equivalent to root....but i still dont have the KDE
      menu with the (crack/hack/network security tools) as
      mentioned before with the "user" KDE menu prior to the
      changes...is there a way to get the KDE menu listed
      under the root profile?...or is there a way to change
      my "user" name to have root privileges without using
      su or sudo and also keep its KDE settings?...let me
      know if anyone can help with this...thanks

      best regards,

      luis

      http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash