live windows - bios upgrades on linux only machine

  • sailon_withme
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2004
      Still I'm puzzling on how to upgrade my bios without a windows boot
      partition and without a floppy on an 1100. Does anyone know if the
      .exe bios upgrade software absolutely requires a gui server or can it
      be run from a dos prompt? I might figure out a way to make a bootable
      dos cd with that exe on it. I'm not sure if a Windows Live version
      exists where windows can be booted from a CD.

      Will this exe file from dell run from a dos prompt or does it need a
      gui server running? Damien seemed to think it has to have windows
      (not dos) running. Is there such thing as a live windows version
      that can be booted from a cd?

      --
      Don H. Olive, Jr., Ph.D. <olivejr@...>
      Physics Department http://www.cn.edu/olivejr

    • Damien Solley
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31, 2004
        sailon_withme had this to say:

        > Still I'm puzzling on how to upgrade my bios without a windows boot
        > partition and without a floppy on an 1100. Does anyone know if the
        > .exe bios upgrade software absolutely requires a gui server or can it
        > be run from a dos prompt? I might figure out a way to make a bootable
        > dos cd with that exe on it. I'm not sure if a Windows Live version
        > exists where windows can be booted from a CD.

        > Will this exe file from dell run from a dos prompt or does it need a
        > gui server running? Damien seemed to think it has to have windows
        > (not dos) running. Is there such thing as a live windows version
        > that can be booted from a cd?
        >
        > --
        > Don H. Olive, Jr., Ph.D. <olivejr@...>
        > Physics Department http://www.cn.edu/olivejr
        > P.O. Box 71917 +1.865.471.3260 - office
        > Carson-Newman College +1.865.471.3578 - fax
        > Jefferson City, TN USA 37760

        Hi Don
        If you want to try the executable in DOS, then you can easily create a
        DOS boot disk. Go to
        http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
        and download one of their disk .IMG files. These IMG files can be used
        to create bootable floppys OR bootable CDs (see man mkisofs, and the -b
        switch).
        Regards
        Damien
      • Marvin Pierce
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 31, 2004
          Depends on the upgrade package you downloaded. Some packages will run
          fine from the dos floppy and upgrade your bios from that. Others, run
          from the harddrive. If you have the correct version, i.e., floppy, it
          will upgrade your bios without problem.
          ---
          On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 07:46, sailon_withme wrote:
          > Still I'm puzzling on how to upgrade my bios without a windows boot
          > partition and without a floppy on an 1100. Does anyone know if the
          > .exe bios upgrade software absolutely requires a gui server or can it
          > be run from a dos prompt? I might figure out a way to make a bootable
          > dos cd with that exe on it. I'm not sure if a Windows Live version
          > exists where windows can be booted from a CD.

          > Will this exe file from dell run from a dos prompt or does it need a
          > gui server running? Damien seemed to think it has to have windows
          > (not dos) running. Is there such thing as a live windows version
          > that can be booted from a cd?
        • Damien Solley
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 31, 2004
            Damien Solley had this to say:
            > Hi Don
            > If you want to try the executable in DOS, then you can easily create a
            > DOS boot disk. Go to
            > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
            > and download one of their disk .IMG files. These IMG files can be used
            > to create bootable floppys OR bootable CDs (see man mkisofs, and the -b
            > switch).
            > Regards
            > Damien

            Further instructions on how to use a floppy image to create a boot CD
            are attached. Make sure you include cp BIOS update into the ISO_DIR/
            directory before use mkisofs.
            Regards
            Damien
          • Damien Solley
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31, 2004
              Aargh! Instructions attached to this message.
            • onchiman1
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1 5:35 AM
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
                <dsolley@s...> wrote:
                > Aargh! Instructions attached to this message.
                >
                > Make bootable ISO image:
                > note boot.img is quoted relative to CD root (and must be included in
                the CD root file system).
                > mkdir ISO_DIR
                > cp dosdisk.img ISODIR/
                > mkisofs -b dosdisk.img -c boot.catalog -o /tmp/ISO.iso -J -r -T
                ISO_DIR/
                > The boot floppy needs to actually be on the CD, and the path is then
                quoted relative to the CD root.

                > Then burn the resultant CD image (/tmp/ISO.iso) with your favourite
                burning program, or with cdrecord.

                Since I'm only running Linux on my Dell Inspiron 1100, I also had to
                create a DOS Bootable CD image (since there is no floppy on the 1100).
                I followed these instructions and used the "DOS 5.0" boot image from
                bootdisk.com. Remember, the boot image can't exceed 1.4mb so follow
                the instructions carefully as the A29 bios exe is already almost half
                of that. If someone would be willing to host, I could upload the image
                which then could be burned. I'm sure it would help other Inspiron 1100
                owners with Linux only systems.
              • onchiman1
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1 5:36 AM

                  I followed these instructions http://www.nenie.org/misc/flashbootcd.html
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1 5:42 PM
                    onchiman1 had this to say:
                    > Since I'm only running Linux on my Dell Inspiron 1100, I also had to
                    > create a DOS Bootable CD image (since there is no floppy on the 1100).
                    > I followed these instructions http://www.nenie.org/misc/flashbootcd.html
                    > and used the "DOS 5.0" boot image from bootdisk.com. Remember, the
                    > boot image can't exceed 1.4mb so follow the instructions carefully as
                    > the A29 bios exe is already almost half of that. If someone would be
                    > willing to host, I could upload the image which then could be burned.
                    > I'm sure it would help other Inspiron 1100 owners with Linux only systems.

                    So I assume the update worked correctly from DOS? If so, then I would be
                    happy to put your ISO file on the web at my 1100 page. Please email the image
                    directly to me.
                    Regards
                    Damien