Recommendation for large external hard drives and RH9

  • Ted Markowitz
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2004
      I have two Linux (RH9) systems---an Inspiron 8200 and an IBM Thinkpad
      T20---that I'd like to connect (though not at the same time) to a
      large external hard drive mostly for backup purposes. The Dell has
      both Firewire and USB ports and the Thinkpad has USB built-in and I
      have a Firewire PCMCIA card that should work to provide a Firewire
      port for it, though I haven't tried this card with RH9 yet and it
      might not work.

      Does anyone have any experience with using these drives with RH9 and
      these kinds of machines? I'm looking for something > 100GB with dual
      USB/Firewire porting.

      Any pointers or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

      --ted
    • Gabriel
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2004
        Hi Ted,

        I have a similar situation:
        -I've got a I8200 like yourself
        -I'm on mandrake 9.2 (which I believe is pretty close to RH)

        A while ago I bought a 250Gb "Hard Box" from Pyrogate (www.pyrogate.com).
        Although Pyrogate where totally useless at telling whether their disk could
        run on Linux, they assured me it ran straight out of the box on Windows2000
        (no need to install any drivers on W2000). To me that confirmed they where
        using standard USB/Firewire interfaces and thus it should work just as well
        on Linux - so I went ahead and bought the disk.

        Well it really worked straight out of the box: I plugged it (in my USB1 port)
        and within seconds 'diskdrake' displayed it (it appears as a SCSI disk) -
        albeit with a pre formatted FAT16 - which I promptly trashed for e3fs.

        Of course you should forget accessing a disk like that with USB1.0, but like
        you my machine has firewire - which is what I use to access the disk. The
        FireWire was as simple as the USB to use (simple plug and play) - in fact you
        can interchange the disk from one interface to another without any problem
        (if you unmount it first!).

        I recently saw that Maxtor has some disk similar to the Pyrogate one, they
        should probably work too, but I wouldn't be able to tell.

        Another small "catch": if you use FireWire - you may have to power your disk.
        I mean: check if your disk has its own power supply or if it takes the power
        from the interface link. As my I8200 has a 4 pin FireWire it will not supply
        the power! which therefore has to come from the USB port - I believe some
        cables are available on the market for that purpose. It isn't a problem with
        the Pyrogate as it has its own power supply.

        Cheers,
        Gabriel.

        On Tuesday 09 March 2004 19:23, Ted Markowitz wrote:
        > I have two Linux (RH9) systems---an Inspiron 8200 and an IBM Thinkpad
        > T20---that I'd like to connect (though not at the same time) to a
        > large external hard drive mostly for backup purposes. The Dell has
        > both Firewire and USB ports and the Thinkpad has USB built-in and I
        > have a Firewire PCMCIA card that should work to provide a Firewire
        > port for it, though I haven't tried this card with RH9 yet and it
        > might not work.
        >
        > Does anyone have any experience with using these drives with RH9 and
        > these kinds of machines? I'm looking for something > 100GB with dual
        > USB/Firewire porting.
        >
        > Any pointers or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
        >
        > --ted

      • Rainer Koehler
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2004
          > I have two Linux (RH9) systems---an Inspiron 8200 and an IBM Thinkpad
          > T20---that I'd like to connect (though not at the same time) to a
          > large external hard drive mostly for backup purposes. The Dell has
          > both Firewire and USB ports and the Thinkpad has USB built-in and I
          > have a Firewire PCMCIA card that should work to provide a Firewire
          > port for it, though I haven't tried this card with RH9 yet and it
          > might not work.

          > Does anyone have any experience with using these drives with RH9 and
          > these kinds of machines? I'm looking for something > 100GB with dual
          > USB/Firewire porting.

          I have a Maxtor 250GB with USB/Firewire and a I4100 with SuSE. Since
          it doesn't have Firewire, I'm using a PCMCIA-card. Everything worked
          pretty much out of the box. I knew beforehand that I had to upgrade
          my kernel to 2.4 to use Firewire via PCMCIA, but that's mainly because
          my SuSE is pretty old (no point in reinstalling over a working
          system). RH9 should have a recent kernel and work out of the box.
          USB worked with the old kernel, but you don't want to access a disk
          like that via USB 1. I did some tests, the external firewire disk is
          about as fast as the internal disk.

          Regarding power: The Maxtor comes with its own power supply. I
          wouldn't even think of powering a big harddisk from the laptop,
          neither via Firewire nor USB.

          BTW, there's a compatibility list at http://www.linux1394.org

          Hope this helps,
          Rainer