Inspiron 1100 - Alsa - Mandrake 9.2

  • dboitnot
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 10:36 AM
      I had problems getting the alsa drivers to work properly on my
      Mandrake 9.2 installation. The drivers would load and everything would
      behave properly but I couldn't get sound to come out of the speakers,
      only the headphones. I have come up with a solution.

      After trying several configurations of /etc/modules and
      /etc/modules.conf I found that the only way I could get it to work
      right was to _manually_ modprobe snd-intel8x0 and snd-pcm-oss after
      everything else was started. Obviously I didn't want to do this every
      time I booted so here's what I did:

      1. Removed all sound driver listings from /etc/modules.conf and
      /etc/modules

      2. Disabled the "alsa" service and enabled the "sound" service with
      drakxservices

      3. Wrote the following script as /etc/init.d/dellsound:

      -------- BEGIN SCRIPT --------
      #!/bin/sh
      #
      # /etc/init.d/dellsound
      #
      # chkconfig: 2345 99 09
      #---------------------------------------------------------------

      # Source function library.
      . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

      ret=0

      case $1 in
      start)
      gprintf "Starting Sound Device: "
      /sbin/modprobe snd-intel8x0
      /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
      /usr/bin/aumix -v 50% -w 50%
      success "Sound Device Startup"
      ret=$?
      echo
      ;;

      stop)
      ;;

      status)
      ;;

      reload)
      ;;

      restart)
      $0 start
      ret=$?
      ;;
      *)
      gprintf "Usage: %s\n" "$(basename $0) {start}"
      exit 0
      ;;
      esac

      exit $ret

      4. Enabled the script in drakxservices

      I realize this probably isn't
      --->> THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT <<---
      but it does work. I'd be interested to know
      --->> THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT <<---
      and why this solution would work for me where the others wouldn't.

      Dan Boitnott