Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron1100 - Play DVD?

  • allen
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 3, 2004
      I had problems with RH 9 but tried ogle. It seemed to work ok. I
      haven't tried it lately since I had to reinstall linux but didn't
      reinstall ogle.

      Allen

      On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 20:46, dellrio12 wrote:
      > Has anyone had luck playing a DVD on their inspiron 1100 with linux? I
      > have not been able to - the audio is fine but the video is all
      > scrambled up? Mpg's and Avi's run fine but the DVD is a problem.

    • michael fivis
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
        dellrio12 wrote:
        Has anyone had luck playing a DVD on their inspiron 1100 with linux? I
        have not been able to - the audio is fine but the video is all
        scrambled up? Mpg's and Avi's run fine but the DVD is a problem.

        Are you running fedora? Actually it probably does not matter what distribution you are running. Just make sure you have all the DVD reading libraries (libdvdcss, libdvdread, libdvdmenu, etc)

        With fedora, this is as easy as search/installing through yum.
      • draino-dell1315@mailblocks.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004

          I'm using mplayer and it works perfect on my 1100..

          Has anyone had luck playing a DVD on their inspiron 1100 with linux? I
          have not been able to - the audio is fine but the video is all
          scrambled up? Mpg's and Avi's run fine but the DVD is a problem.

          -----------

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/s5T0lB/TM

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Syntax
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, michael fivis
            <michaelfivis@v...> wrote:

            Try mplayer or xine for your dvd.
          • W.K. Vladmir Ward
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 18, 2004
              Greetings all

              Something that's been bothering me for a while... does anyone know how to turn off the profiling in Mozilla? Slackware ships with pre-built Mozilla that never warns you that your profile is in use, and you need to make another one. Every time I've built Mozilla it pesters me if I open a new instance, rather than hitting ctrl-n and spawning a new window. Tried compiling with --disable-profile-locking (or something of that effect) to no avail; this seemed to actually make Mozilla stop working.

              Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
              There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
              Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
              Though down that road we've been so many times...

              - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Douglas S. Oliver
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 18, 2004
                This is common behavior when you try to open a second instance of
                Mozilla. I make this mistake all the time when I'm working in one
                desktop and switch to another and then hit the M button. Make sure you
                have only one instance of M open. In other words, if you get the message
                that it wants you to open a new profile, look for an already open
                session. This may or may not be relevant in your situation. --d

                W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                > Greetings all
                >
                > Something that's been bothering me for a while... does anyone know how
                > to turn off the profiling in Mozilla? Slackware ships with pre-built
                > Mozilla that never warns you that your profile is in use, and you need
                > to make another one. Every time I've built Mozilla it pesters me if I
                > open a new instance, rather than hitting ctrl-n and spawning a new
                > window. Tried compiling with --disable-profile-locking (or something
                > of that effect) to no avail; this seemed to actually make Mozilla stop
                > working.
                >

                > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                > Though down that road we've been so many times...
                >
                > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"
                >
                > Do you Yahoo!?
                > *Yahoo! Mail*
                > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mailtag_us/*http://mail.yahoo.com> - More
                > reliable, more storage, less spam

              • John Whelan
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 18, 2004
                  W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                  > Greetings all
                  >
                  > Something that's been bothering me for a while... does anyone know how
                  > to turn off the profiling in Mozilla? Slackware ships with pre-built
                  > Mozilla that never warns you that your profile is in use, and you need
                  > to make another one. Every time I've built Mozilla it pesters me if I
                  > open a new instance, rather than hitting ctrl-n and spawning a new
                  > window. Tried compiling with --disable-profile-locking (or something
                  > of that effect) to no avail; this seemed to actually make Mozilla stop
                  > working.

                  I too am using slackware and have found this problem to be an
                  annoyance. Recently though, upon trying to open mozilla, i am asked
                  to select a profile, but no matter what profiles i select, nothing
                  happens. it wont open mozilla at all. i'm not sure what's going on
                  with it, and have just used pine and galleon instead of trying to fix
                  it... anyone have any ideas?

                  -John
                • michael fivis
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 18, 2004
                    Douglas S. Oliver wrote:

                    > This is common behavior when you try to open a second instance of
                    > Mozilla. I make this mistake all the time when I'm working in one
                    > desktop and switch to another and then hit the M button. Make sure you
                    > have only one instance of M open. In other words, if you get the message
                    > that it wants you to open a new profile, look for an already open
                    > session. This may or may not be relevant in your situation. --d
                    >
                    > W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                    >
                    > > Greetings all
                    > >
                    > > Something that's been bothering me for a while... does anyone know how
                    > > to turn off the profiling in Mozilla? Slackware ships with pre-built
                    > > Mozilla that never warns you that your profile is in use, and you need
                    > > to make another one. Every time I've built Mozilla it pesters me if I
                    > > open a new instance, rather than hitting ctrl-n and spawning a new
                    > > window. Tried compiling with --disable-profile-locking (or something
                    > > of that effect) to no avail; this seemed to actually make Mozilla stop
                    > > working.
                    > >

                    > > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                    > > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                    > > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                    > > Though down that road we've been so many times...
                    > >
                    > > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"
                    > >
                    > > Do you Yahoo!?
                    > > *Yahoo! Mail*
                    > > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mailtag_us/*http://mail.yahoo.com> - More
                    > > reliable, more storage, less spam

                    > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                    > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ci857pi/M=267637.4673019.5833256.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1708211820:HM/EXP=1079730785/A=1945638/R=0/SIG=11t2rh2cf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178383&partid=4673019>

                    It would be interesting to find out what the dag.wiers repository (I
                    think) does with its RPM releases of Firefox. The last I tried in
                    Fedora, it manages the multiple instances issue discreetly and
                    properly-- in other words, I never see the profile manager.
                  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 18, 2004
                      --- michael fivis <michaelfivis@...> wrote:
                      > Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
                      >
                      > > This is common behavior when you try to open a
                      > second instance of
                      > > Mozilla. I make this mistake all the time when I'm
                      > working in one
                      > > desktop and switch to another and then hit the M
                      > button. Make sure you
                      > > have only one instance of M open. In other words,
                      > if you get the message
                      > > that it wants you to open a new profile, look for
                      > an already open
                      > > session. This may or may not be relevant in your
                      > situation. --d
                      > >
                      > > W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Greetings all
                      > > >
                      > > > Something that's been bothering me for a
                      > while... does anyone know how
                      > > > to turn off the profiling in Mozilla? Slackware
                      > ships with pre-built
                      > > > Mozilla that never warns you that your profile
                      > is in use, and you need
                      > > > to make another one. Every time I've built
                      > Mozilla it pesters me if I
                      > > > open a new instance, rather than hitting ctrl-n
                      > and spawning a new
                      > > > window. Tried compiling with
                      > --disable-profile-locking (or something
                      > > > of that effect) to no avail; this seemed to
                      > actually make Mozilla stop
                      > > > working.

                      > It would be interesting to find out what the
                      > dag.wiers repository (I
                      > think) does with its RPM releases of Firefox. The
                      > last I tried in
                      > Fedora, it manages the multiple instances issue
                      > discreetly and
                      > properly-- in other words, I never see the profile
                      > manager.

                      I'm aware of the profile manager trouble, and I have
                      to take note to fire off another window from a running
                      instance rather than clicking it off the menu. What I
                      was interested in is how, exactly, the Slackware team
                      got around Mozilla asking for a profile at all.

                      As for the question about Mozilla not doing anything
                      after selecting a profile, I would recommend removing
                      all the profiles from your home directory
                      ~/.mozilla/profiles or something of the sort, I
                      believe. You should be able to get rid of those, make
                      a new one, and work. Beyond that, I'm not sure what
                      the problem would be.

                      =====
                      Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                      There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                      Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                      Though down that road we've been so many times...
                      - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • John Whelan
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 18, 2004
                        W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                        >--- michael fivis <michaelfivis@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >>Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
                        >>

                        >>>This is common behavior when you try to open a
                        >>>

                        >>second instance of
                        >>

                        >>>Mozilla. I make this mistake all the time when I'm
                        >>>

                        >>working in one
                        >>

                        >>>desktop and switch to another and then hit the M
                        >>>

                        >>button. Make sure you
                        >>

                        >>>have only one instance of M open. In other words,
                        >>>

                        >>if you get the message
                        >>

                        >>>that it wants you to open a new profile, look for
                        >>>

                        >>an already open
                        >>

                        >>>session. This may or may not be relevant in your
                        >>>

                        >>situation. --d

                        >>while... does anyone know how

                        >>ships with pre-built

                        >>is in use, and you need

                        >>Mozilla it pesters me if I

                        >>and spawning a new

                        >>--disable-profile-locking (or something

                        >>actually make Mozilla stop

                        >>It would be interesting to find out what the
                        >>dag.wiers repository (I
                        >>think) does with its RPM releases of Firefox. The
                        >>last I tried in
                        >>Fedora, it manages the multiple instances issue
                        >>discreetly and
                        >>properly-- in other words, I never see the profile
                        >>manager.
                        >>

                        >I'm aware of the profile manager trouble, and I have
                        >to take note to fire off another window from a running
                        >instance rather than clicking it off the menu. What I
                        >was interested in is how, exactly, the Slackware team
                        >got around Mozilla asking for a profile at all.
                        >
                        >As for the question about Mozilla not doing anything
                        >after selecting a profile, I would recommend removing
                        >all the profiles from your home directory
                        >~/.mozilla/profiles or something of the sort, I
                        >believe. You should be able to get rid of those, make
                        >a new one, and work. Beyond that, I'm not sure what
                        >the problem would be.

                        Decided instead to go with FireFox and Thunderbird .5

                        Thanks, though.

                        -John
                      • David Corbin
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 18, 2004
                          On Thursday 18 March 2004 11:01, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                          > Greetings all
                          >
                          > Something that's been bothering me for a while... does anyone know how to
                          > turn off the profiling in Mozilla? Slackware ships with pre-built Mozilla
                          > that never warns you that your profile is in use, and you need to make
                          > another one. Every time I've built Mozilla it pesters me if I open a new
                          > instance, rather than hitting ctrl-n and spawning a new window. Tried
                          > compiling with --disable-profile-locking (or something of that effect) to
                          > no avail; this seemed to actually make Mozilla stop working.

                          It's just a guess, but what I do is use a script. The script looks at the
                          process list, and if mozilla is already running, it uses the "-remote"
                          command line argument.

                          With a little extra argument processing, things work pretty well.

                          > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                          > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                          > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                          > Though down that road we've been so many times...
                          > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"
                          > Do you Yahoo!?

                          David Corbin <dcorbin@...>
                        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 18, 2004
                            --- David Corbin <dcorbin@...> wrote:
                            > On Thursday 18 March 2004 11:01, W.K. Vladmir Ward
                            > wrote:
                            > > Greetings all
                            > >
                            > > Something that's been bothering me for a while...
                            > does anyone know how to
                            > > turn off the profiling in Mozilla? Slackware ships
                            > with pre-built Mozilla
                            > > that never warns you that your profile is in use,
                            > and you need to make
                            > > another one. Every time I've built Mozilla it
                            > pesters me if I open a new
                            > > instance, rather than hitting ctrl-n and spawning
                            > a new window. Tried
                            > > compiling with --disable-profile-locking (or
                            > something of that effect) to
                            > > no avail; this seemed to actually make Mozilla
                            > stop working.
                            >
                            > It's just a guess, but what I do is use a script.
                            > The script looks at the
                            > process list, and if mozilla is already running, it
                            > uses the "-remote"
                            > command line argument.
                            >
                            > With a little extra argument processing, things work
                            > pretty well.

                            Oooh, cool, do you think you could send me a copy of
                            that script? :)

                            =====
                            Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                            There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                            Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                            Though down that road we've been so many times...
                            - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Raju Kurunkad
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 18, 2004
                              * W.K. Vladmir Ward <web_raptor.geo@...> [2004-03-18 18:38]:
                              > Greetings all
                              >
                              > Something that's been bothering me for a while... does anyone know how to turn off the profiling in Mozilla? Slackware ships with pre-built Mozilla that never warns you that your profile is in use, and you need to make another one. Every time I've built Mozilla it pesters me if I open a new instance, rather than hitting ctrl-n and spawning a new window. Tried compiling with --disable-profile-locking (or something of that effect) to no avail; this seemed to actually make Mozilla stop working.

                              One way is to make everything use the same mozilla instance, but open links
                              from external applications in new tabs. You can do that by installing
                              tabbrowser extensions. Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

                              Raju
                            • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 26, 2004
                                Greetings.

                                I've become interested lately in finding a way to
                                streamline name resolution from my laptop while at
                                work. Unfortunately, the vast majority of our systems
                                are Windows, and we're running WINS. Is there any way
                                that I can have my laptop use WINS resolution under
                                Linux? I did some google homework and found out that I
                                can specify a wins server for SMB services to use, but
                                I want to be able to have any outgoing connection that
                                has a hostname and no IP to look to the WINS servers
                                to see if it can resolve... is this possible?

                                =====
                                Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                                There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                                Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                                Though down that road we've been so many times...
                                - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                              • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 30, 2004
                                  Greetings all...

                                  I've had a Microsoft (I know! But it's very nice...)
                                  USB wireless mouse for a few months. I've used it with
                                  no problem on my Win2000/Slackware 9 desktop for all
                                  this time, and every now and then I've plugged it into
                                  my laptop while under XP. I booted into Linux with it
                                  this morning and found that it doesn't work quite as
                                  well as it should be. As in any form of useable.

                                  Moving the mouse only results in an up/down movement
                                  of the pointer. It's like MS changed the protocol, but
                                  what's odd is that, to the best of my memory, I didn't
                                  have to change anything significantly to get it
                                  working on my desktop, other than the ZAxis Mapping.
                                  Below is a snippit from my XF86Config:

                                  Section "InputDevice"
                                  Identifier "Mouse1"
                                  Driver "mouse"
                                  Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
                                  Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
                                  Option "Emulate3Buttons"
                                  Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
                                  Option "Buttons" "9"
                                  Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7 8 9"
                                  Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
                                  EndSection

                                  The "6 7 8 9" entry on the ZAxis is because,
                                  apparently, the mouse sends 8 and 9 when scrolled
                                  fast, 6 and 7 when scrolled slow. Using a regular
                                  hard-wired USB Intellimouse 3.0A works just fine. Any
                                  help is appreciated.

                                  =====
                                  Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                                  There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                                  Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                                  Though down that road we've been so many times...
                                  - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                                • Gus Wiening
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 5, 2004
                                    Greetings

                                    Compiled kernel version 2.6.3... seems to run
                                    marginally well, but I can't modprobe anything. I
                                    grabbed the new module-init-tools, compiled and
                                    installed, but when I try to modprobe I get invalid
                                    format errors. All the modules are in .ko ... is this
                                    correct? I'm not too familiar with the changes to the
                                    kernel. Help is appreciated

                                    Also, I updated the modutils for my 2.4.22 kernel,
                                    and... you guessed it, it no longer works. Modprobe
                                    seems to be incapable of finding the path, and if I
                                    specify a path specifically on insmod it gives me a
                                    'not in ELF format' or similar error. Once again, I
                                    have no clue what athis means.

                                    Help! Thanks in advance.

                                    =====

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                                      --- Gus Wiening <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:
                                      > Greetings
                                      >
                                      > Compiled kernel version 2.6.3... seems to run
                                      > marginally well, but I can't modprobe anything. I
                                      > grabbed the new module-init-tools, compiled and
                                      > installed, but when I try to modprobe I get invalid
                                      > format errors. All the modules are in .ko ... is
                                      > this
                                      > correct? I'm not too familiar with the changes to
                                      > the
                                      > kernel. Help is appreciated
                                      >
                                      > Also, I updated the modutils for my 2.4.22 kernel,
                                      > and... you guessed it, it no longer works. Modprobe
                                      > seems to be incapable of finding the path, and if I
                                      > specify a path specifically on insmod it gives me a
                                      > 'not in ELF format' or similar error. Once again, I
                                      > have no clue what athis means.

                                      Alrighty, I managed to 'fix' my 2.4.22 problem by
                                      restoring the modutils that came with the Slackware
                                      9.1 base; the 2.4.22 side of things is working
                                      properly now. Don't know why my 2.6.3 kernel isn't
                                      working. It would be nice if someone could respond
                                      with some advice...

                                      =====

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 13, 2004
                                        Actually, it boots, but the video system doesn't load.
                                        I get all the disk activity, etc, without the display
                                        activating.

                                        What I did was grabbed the stock .config file for
                                        2.4.22 that comes with Slackware 9.1 (and which works
                                        nearly perfectly on this machine, except for the lack
                                        of support for one of my USB mice) and ran 'make
                                        oldconfig'... went through the list until completion
                                        and then did a quick menuconfig to change the CPU
                                        type. Built kernel and dropped it into boot, put it in
                                        my lilo.conf and ran lilo. Rebooted to a "working"
                                        kernel... working without video, that is.

                                        This is starting to get irritating. I've been trying
                                        for over a month to get 2.6.3 working; I had some help
                                        initially, but lately, no one bothers to reply. It
                                        used to be that people would, you know, help each
                                        other on this list, rather than argue with one another
                                        about which distro they thought was the best.

                                        Thanks to those who have helped me in the past, and to
                                        those who will send helpful responses.

                                        =====
                                        Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                                        There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                                        Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                                        Though down that road we've been so many times...
                                        - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                                      • Josh Knox
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 13, 2004
                                          Try taking the "vga=xxx" line out of lilo.conf. Then re-run lilo.

                                          You'll lose the hi res console on boot but it should let you in to fix
                                          stuff.

                                          Chances are (in my experience anyways) that despite having the blank
                                          screen you can type blindly to log in and startx.

                                          Josh

                                          --------------------------------
                                          Josh Knox
                                          Field Support Engineer
                                          Government & Industrial Robotics
                                          iRobot Corporation
                                          jknox@...
                                          (781)345-0200 x 3353
                                          https://support.packbot.com
                                          --------------------------------
                                        • Bill Rosoman
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 13, 2004
                                            --- Gus Wiening <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote: >
                                            Actually, it boots, but the video system doesn't
                                            > load.
                                            > I get all the disk activity, etc, without the
                                            > display
                                            > activating.
                                            >
                                            > What I did was grabbed the stock .config file for
                                            > 2.4.22 that comes with Slackware 9.1 (and which
                                            > works
                                            > nearly perfectly on this machine, except for the
                                            > lack
                                            > of support for one of my USB mice) and ran 'make
                                            > oldconfig'... went through the list until completion
                                            > and then did a quick menuconfig to change the CPU
                                            > type. Built kernel and dropped it into boot, put it
                                            > in
                                            > my lilo.conf and ran lilo. Rebooted to a "working"
                                            > kernel... working without video, that is.
                                            >
                                            > This is starting to get irritating. I've been trying
                                            > for over a month to get 2.6.3 working;

                                            It took me a week to get kernel 2.6.3 under Mandrake
                                            10 to work on my notepad. Finally I used F1 at the
                                            intitial startup screen and chose the low level
                                            graphics option and then edited my XF86Config-4 file
                                            (use generic NVIDIA driver) and then finally got a
                                            GUI.

                                            The only differnce I can really see is that in Lilo it
                                            has 785 instead of 788 for the graphics.

                                            BTW Mandrake 10 trashed a 40gb hard drive on my main
                                            machine, I have still to recover it and get back my
                                            3000 tracks on music etc LOL. Plan to buy a 80gb hard
                                            drive today to rectify that!

                                            HTH

                                            =====

                                            Bill Rosoman Dip C.S
                                            Hamilton

                                            New Zealand
                                            Telephone +64-21-233-5427

                                            Email leftfieldnz@...
                                            http://leftfieldnz.topcities.com

                                          • Gus Wiening
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 13, 2004
                                              --- Bill Rosoman <leftfieldnz@...> wrote:
                                              > --- Gus Wiening <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote: >
                                              > Actually, it boots, but the video system doesn't
                                              > > load.
                                              > > I get all the disk activity, etc, without the
                                              > > display
                                              > > activating.
                                              > >
                                              > > What I did was grabbed the stock .config file for
                                              > > 2.4.22 that comes with Slackware 9.1 (and which
                                              > > works
                                              > > nearly perfectly on this machine, except for the
                                              > > lack
                                              > > of support for one of my USB mice) and ran 'make
                                              > > oldconfig'... went through the list until
                                              > completion
                                              > > and then did a quick menuconfig to change the CPU
                                              > > type. Built kernel and dropped it into boot, put
                                              > it
                                              > > in
                                              > > my lilo.conf and ran lilo. Rebooted to a "working"
                                              > > kernel... working without video, that is.
                                              > >
                                              > > This is starting to get irritating. I've been
                                              > trying
                                              > > for over a month to get 2.6.3 working;
                                              >
                                              > It took me a week to get kernel 2.6.3 under Mandrake
                                              > 10 to work on my notepad. Finally I used F1 at the
                                              > intitial startup screen and chose the low level
                                              > graphics option and then edited my XF86Config-4 file
                                              > (use generic NVIDIA driver) and then finally got a
                                              > GUI.

                                              Looks like it's "working" now. I dug around on the net
                                              a bit and found a config file for 2.6.3. Played around
                                              with it a bit and I'm able to boot and use it now.

                                              Problem is, some things aren't loading on their own,
                                              or working. PCMCIA modules I have to manually
                                              modprobe... I called 'modprobe yenta_socket' 'modprobe
                                              hermes' and 'modprobe orinoco' which my US Robotics
                                              wireless card depends on, but it still doesn't show up
                                              in iwconfig. Not sure exactly what is wrong; hotplug
                                              is apparently running, because it seems like most
                                              other things (sound, built-in NIC) are working. Any ideas?

                                              =====

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 13, 2004
                                                Gus Wiening wrote:

                                                >--- Bill Rosoman <leftfieldnz@...> wrote:
                                                >

                                                >> --- Gus Wiening <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote: >
                                                >>Actually, it boots, but the video system doesn't
                                                >>

                                                >>>load.
                                                >>>I get all the disk activity, etc, without the
                                                >>>display
                                                >>>activating.
                                                >>>
                                                >>>What I did was grabbed the stock .config file for
                                                >>>2.4.22 that comes with Slackware 9.1 (and which
                                                >>>works
                                                >>>nearly perfectly on this machine, except for the
                                                >>>lack
                                                >>>of support for one of my USB mice) and ran 'make
                                                >>>oldconfig'... went through the list until
                                                >>>

                                                >>completion
                                                >>

                                                >>>and then did a quick menuconfig to change the CPU
                                                >>>type. Built kernel and dropped it into boot, put
                                                >>>

                                                >>it
                                                >>

                                                >>>in
                                                >>>my lilo.conf and ran lilo. Rebooted to a "working"
                                                >>>kernel... working without video, that is.
                                                >>>
                                                >>>This is starting to get irritating. I've been
                                                >>>

                                                >>trying
                                                >>

                                                >>>for over a month to get 2.6.3 working;
                                                >>>

                                                >>It took me a week to get kernel 2.6.3 under Mandrake
                                                >>10 to work on my notepad. Finally I used F1 at the
                                                >>intitial startup screen and chose the low level
                                                >>graphics option and then edited my XF86Config-4 file
                                                >>(use generic NVIDIA driver) and then finally got a
                                                >>GUI.
                                                >>

                                                >Looks like it's "working" now. I dug around on the net
                                                >a bit and found a config file for 2.6.3. Played around
                                                >with it a bit and I'm able to boot and use it now.
                                                >
                                                >Problem is, some things aren't loading on their own,
                                                >or working. PCMCIA modules I have to manually
                                                >modprobe... I called 'modprobe yenta_socket' 'modprobe
                                                >hermes' and 'modprobe orinoco' which my US Robotics
                                                >wireless card depends on, but it still doesn't show up
                                                >in iwconfig. Not sure exactly what is wrong; hotplug
                                                >is apparently running, because it seems like most
                                                >other things (sound, built-in NIC) are working. Any ideas?

                                                what laptop are you trying this on?

                                                if its an inspirion 1100, you might try just getting the 2.6.4 source
                                                and using Damiens .config

                                                ( or i can send you my .config for 2.6.3 which i should still have
                                                around since i still have the source for that ... )

                                                I'm running slack 9.1, which i think in a previous email you mentioned
                                                having. You can specify module loads in /etc/rc.d/rc.local if you
                                                want them to load.

                                                after bootup run lsmod or cat /proc/modules ( or both ) and
                                                see what modules are loading and what arent.

                                                aside from that , be sure that you have the right modules built for the
                                                hardware you're trying to use ( i'm assuming you do, but just in case
                                                decided to throw that in)

                                                -John
                                              • Gus Wiening
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 14, 2004
                                                  --- John Whelan <jwh4126@...> wrote:
                                                  > Gus Wiening wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > >--- Bill Rosoman <leftfieldnz@...> wrote:
                                                  > >

                                                  > >> --- Gus Wiening <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > >>Actually, it boots, but the video system doesn't

                                                  > >>completion

                                                  > >>it

                                                  > "working"

                                                  > >>trying

                                                  > >>It took me a week to get kernel 2.6.3 under
                                                  > Mandrake
                                                  > >>10 to work on my notepad. Finally I used F1 at the
                                                  > >>intitial startup screen and chose the low level
                                                  > >>graphics option and then edited my XF86Config-4
                                                  > file
                                                  > >>(use generic NVIDIA driver) and then finally got
                                                  > >>GUI.
                                                  > >>

                                                  > >Looks like it's "working" now. I dug around on the
                                                  > net
                                                  > >a bit and found a config file for 2.6.3. Played
                                                  > around
                                                  > >with it a bit and I'm able to boot and use it now.
                                                  > >
                                                  > >Problem is, some things aren't loading on their
                                                  > own,
                                                  > >or working. PCMCIA modules I have to manually
                                                  > >modprobe... I called 'modprobe yenta_socket'
                                                  > 'modprobe
                                                  > >hermes' and 'modprobe orinoco' which my US Robotics
                                                  > >wireless card depends on, but it still doesn't show
                                                  > up
                                                  > >in iwconfig. Not sure exactly what is wrong;
                                                  > hotplug
                                                  > >is apparently running, because it seems like most
                                                  > >other things (sound, built-in NIC) are working. Any
                                                  > ideas?
                                                  > >

                                                  > what laptop are you trying this on?
                                                  >
                                                  > if its an inspirion 1100, you might try just
                                                  > getting the 2.6.4 source
                                                  > and using Damiens .config

                                                  Using an I8200

                                                  > I'm running slack 9.1, which i think in a previous
                                                  > email you mentioned
                                                  > having. You can specify module loads in
                                                  > /etc/rc.d/rc.local if you
                                                  > want them to load.
                                                  > after bootup run lsmod or cat /proc/modules
                                                  > ( or both ) and
                                                  > see what modules are loading and what arent.

                                                  I've specifically defined a couple of modules to load
                                                  in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules. But Slack 9.0 and up has the
                                                  hotplug daemon, which, up until now, has been pretty
                                                  good at detecting my hardware and modprobing as it
                                                  needs.

                                                  Now that I think about it a little bit, I don't
                                                  believe hotplug is working at all for 2.6.3. My NIC
                                                  and sound card loaded fine on boot, but I have those
                                                  specifically defined to load before hotplug so 1. I
                                                  don't get loud beeps from the PCMCIA system
                                                  initializing, and 2. the built-in NIC is seen as eth0

                                                  > aside from that , be sure that you have the right
                                                  > modules built for the
                                                  > hardware you're trying to use ( i'm assuming you do,
                                                  > but just in case
                                                  > decided to throw that in)

                                                  All the stuff I need /should/ be built; I went through
                                                  and double-checked on it, especially the PCMCIA and
                                                  wireless stuff. I'm going to go get a newer hotplug,
                                                  and see if that works.

                                                  =====

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 28, 2004
                                                    Alright,

                                                    I'm looking to upgrade my 1.75-year-old I8200... depending on cost, I'll probably just update it rather than get a new machine, since I don't have much green (see below). I'm trying to avoid going with Dell equipment on this... even though I'll probably break my warranty on these components, I'm not about to pay 2x the price.

                                                    I currently have the Nvidia GF2 32mb graphics card. From what I've seen this is supposedly a modular item that can just be swapped out with an appropriate card. This machine had an option to have a GF2/64mb and a GF4/64mb (I think) instead. Anyone know where to get one?

                                                    Also looking at upgrading my hard drive... currently I have the 30gb hdd I got packaged with the system, and this is filling up fast (18gb for Windows, 9 for Linux, and 3 for MP3s). I'm rather good on the Linux side of things, but the Windows partition has about 1gb free, and MP3 just has a couple hundred megs, so I figure this is another thing that I should address. I figure a 40 or 60 should suit me fine, and those seem to be reasonably priced from what I've seen (as opposed to the $300+ Dell wants for a 30gb certified drive). Any suggestions?

                                                    Finally, something that's not as much of an issue, but sort of a desired upgrade: memory. I currently have 512mb in two 256mb modules. Both are from Dell, bought for $60 at the time -- wow! Now, I might go up to a 768mb, or even 1gb by buying one or two memory modules. What would be the least expensive memory that anyone has bought for their Dell and had work?

                                                    I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place here... I'm trying to upgrade this system, but I don't have much information on pricing and I'm wondering if I just might be better off buying a whole new system and selling off everything I have with this. Listed below are the current specs; maybe someone can tell me what a fair price would be if I sold this:

                                                    1.6GHz P-4m
                                                    512mb RAM -- 2x 256, +128 stick (unused, came with system)
                                                    30GB HDD
                                                    GF2/32mb
                                                    15" SXGA TFT (1400x1050 resolution)
                                                    Built-in 8x (16x?) DVD
                                                    Built-in 10/100 NIC
                                                    Built-in 56k modem
                                                    Modular floppy
                                                    Modular 8x4x8x (I think?) CD-RW
                                                    Two batteries, both hold good charge (~2 hours/each)
                                                    1.25 years remaining in warranty
                                                    Nylon carrying case, which I may or may not sell with the system.
                                                    All in outstanding, like-new shape -- no scratches, cracks, dings or visible damage.

                                                    I'm /absolutely/ no good at estimating any pricing. I'd put this at anywhere between $200-$1500, that's how vague I am. Maybe someone here can give me a better estimate of what I should expect to get if I sold it. I might give amiss to upgrading alltogether and just ebay it away or something, depending on how much a new 'bleeding-edge' system will cost me.

                                                    Also, if I do look at getting another system, what should I do as far as internal wireless? I know there has been a lot of debate over what TrueMobile cards do and don't work. Suggestions? I'm working on pricing out systems from Dell and IBM (I might get a discount from them, since we buy from them).

                                                    Help is /greatly/ appreciated on this issue, since I'm really not too good at estimating depreciation or anything like that. Thanks a bunch in advance.