lm-sensors on i8600 with 2.6.3?

  • Christian Bartels
    • AthlonRob
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2004
        On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 10:38, Christian Bartels wrote:

        > does anyone use lm-sensors on an i8600 with a 2.6 kernel? does this
        > work?
        > which modules do i have to use?

        I know the i8.6k does a lot of things differently than earlier
        Inspirons, but I don't think sensors is one of them... use the i8kutils
        to monitor your temperatures.

        Rob
      • Christian Bartels
        • AthlonRob
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2004
            On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 23:00, Christian Bartels wrote:

            > > I know the i8.6k does a lot of things differently than earlier
            > > Inspirons, but I don't think sensors is one of them... use the
            > i8kutils
            > > to monitor your temperatures.
            >
            > thx, but they seem to do not work properly. with i8kmon i just get a
            > x-window
            > with the number "30" in it. is this perhaps i8kutils is for kernel
            > 2.4?

            i8k Utilities are available for 2.6, as well, if you enabled Dell Laptop
            Support in your kernel... try to modprobe i8k and see what happens. I
            think the info is at /proc/i8k. My laptop is out of action at the
            moment until I get my new poer brick (this afternoon or tomorrow).

            Rob
          • Christian Bartels
            • AthlonRob
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
                On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 07:37, Christian Bartels wrote:

                > this just gives me some numbers and i dont think that they are any
                > temperatures etc.
                >
                > cat /proc/i8k
                > 1.0 A03 7QDWY0J 41 0 0 0 0 -1 2

                Do the numbers change at all as time goes on? Here are what my numbers
                are:

                1.0 A10 63 2 1 216000 120600 -1 -22

                The i8k driver at least seems to be working a little bit on your system;
                the A03 is your BIOS revision. I don't know what is up with that
                7QDWYOJ sequence, unfortunately. My 63 is my CPU temperature, the 2 1
                are my current fan settings, I believe. I don't know what the rest of
                it means. :-)

                Rob
              • IbericoVespucio
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
                  Christian Bartels escribía: [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] lm-sensors on i8600 with 2.6.3?], el 05 de marzo de 2004 a las 15:37:55 (+0000)

                  > this just gives me some numbers and i dont think that they are any
                  > temperatures etc.
                  >
                  > cat /proc/i8k
                  > 1.0 A03 7QDWY0J 41 0 0 0 0 -1 2
                  |
                  |This is temperature. Others are fan speed, AC, etc.

                  Look at the manual (man i8k)

                  Ángel.

                  --
                  ibericovespucio
                  @...

                  "Toma consejo en el vino, pero decide después con agua."
                  (Franklin)
                • Andy Farlie
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
                    The 7QDWY0J looks like the service tag number of the machine. Look on
                    the bottom of the laptop. You can use it to track the machine on the
                    DELL support site.

                    Andy

                    On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 07:42, AthlonRob wrote:
                    > On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 07:37, Christian Bartels wrote:
                    >
                    > > this just gives me some numbers and i dont think that they are any
                    > > temperatures etc.
                    > >
                    > > cat /proc/i8k
                    > > 1.0 A03 7QDWY0J 41 0 0 0 0 -1 2
                    >
                    > Do the numbers change at all as time goes on? Here are what my numbers
                    > are:
                    >
                    > 1.0 A10 63 2 1 216000 120600 -1 -22
                    >
                    > The i8k driver at least seems to be working a little bit on your system;
                    > the A03 is your BIOS revision. I don't know what is up with that
                    > 7QDWYOJ sequence, unfortunately. My 63 is my CPU temperature, the 2 1
                    > are my current fan settings, I believe. I don't know what the rest of
                    > it means. :-)
                    >
                    > Rob

                  • Sjoerd Mullender
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
                      AthlonRob wrote:
                      > On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 07:37, Christian Bartels wrote:
                      >

                      >>this just gives me some numbers and i dont think that they are any
                      >>temperatures etc.
                      >>
                      >>cat /proc/i8k
                      >>1.0 A03 7QDWY0J 41 0 0 0 0 -1 2
                      >

                      > Do the numbers change at all as time goes on? Here are what my numbers
                      > are:
                      >
                      > 1.0 A10 63 2 1 216000 120600 -1 -22
                      >
                      > The i8k driver at least seems to be working a little bit on your system;
                      > the A03 is your BIOS revision. I don't know what is up with that
                      > 7QDWYOJ sequence, unfortunately. My 63 is my CPU temperature, the 2 1
                      > are my current fan settings, I believe. I don't know what the rest of
                      > it means. :-)

                      From the source:

                      /*
                      * Info:
                      *
                      * 1) Format version (this will change if format changes)
                      * 2) BIOS version
                      * 3) BIOS machine ID
                      * 4) Cpu temperature
                      * 5) Left fan status
                      * 6) Right fan status
                      * 7) Left fan speed
                      * 8) Right fan speed
                      * 9) AC power
                      * 10) Fn Key status
                      */

                      --
                      Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@...>
                    • James H. Cloos Jr.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6, 2004

                        Christian> this just gives me some numbers and i dont think that they
                        Christian> are any temperatures etc.

                        Christian> cat /proc/i8k
                        Christian> 1.0 A03 7QDWY0J 41 0 0 0 0 -1 2

                        Those fields are (from drivers/char/i8k.c):

                        /*
                        * Info:
                        *
                        * 1) Format version (this will change if format changes)
                        * 2) BIOS version
                        * 3) BIOS machine ID
                        * 4) Cpu temperature [in degC -JimC]
                        * 5) Left fan status
                        * 6) Right fan status
                        * 7) Left fan speed
                        * 8) Right fan speed
                        * 9) AC power
                        * 10) Fn Key status
                        */

                        -JimC
                      • Christian Bartels
                        • IbericoVespucio
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 7, 2004
                            Christian Bartels escribía: [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] lm-sensors on i8600 with 2.6.3?], el 06 de marzo de 2004 a las 21:43:49 (+0000)

                            > just saw that there is a package i8kutils. i installed it and it works ok now.

                            ¿Do you install module i8k in kernel 2.6.3? I cannot. With kernel
                            2.4.22 I needed to force with "force=1" But it does not work in 2.6.3
                            (from kernel-image-2.6.3 of Debian-Sid)

                            ¿Do you did something more?

                            By the way. With kernel 2.4.22 I noticed that i8kmon control of the
                            fans is not good. It seems to work in funtion of CPU temperature,
                            only. But BIOS takes in account other sensors, I think. The fact is
                            that case is hotter with i8kmon control that without it; I notticed it
                            at my left-hand, over the HD possition. Since then, I launch
                            i8kmon with $i8kmon --noauto

                            You can test it by (un)selecting "auto" in i8kmon

                            > the problem is, that the i8kmon daemon seems to lower my volume settings all
                            > the time. does anyone have the same problem?

                            No. I haven't :-?

                            Ángel.

                            --
                            ibericovespucio
                            @...

                            "Cómo sople el viento puede variar la velocidad del barco.
                            Su dirección la fija el timonel."
                          • Christian Bartels