Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Kernel 2.6.3 hangup on boot

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
      Thanks for the config -- I compiled it and it booted,
      but I didn't have any PCMCIA support. I set all the
      PCMCIA socket drivers to be modules instead of
      built-in (I had problem with built-in PCMCIA
      controller modules in the 2.4 series) and I'm now
      recompiling. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

      --- John Britton <john.britton@...> wrote:
> [...]
      > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
      > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
      > # CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
      > CONFIG_MTRR=y
      > # CONFIG_EFI is not set
      > CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y
      >
      > #
      > # Power management options (ACPI, APM)
      > #
      > CONFIG_PM=y
      > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
      > CONFIG_PM_DISK=y
      > CONFIG_PM_DISK_PARTITION=""
      >
      > #
      > # ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
      > Support
      > #
      > CONFIG_ACPI=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
      > CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
      > # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
      > CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
      > CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
      > # CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML is not set
      >
      > #
      > # APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
      > #
      > CONFIG_APM=m
      > # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
      > # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
      > # CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
      > # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
      > # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
      > # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
      > # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
      >
      > #
      > # CPU Frequency scaling
      > #
      > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
      > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
      > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
      > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
      > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
      > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
      > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
      > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
      >
      > #
      > # CPUFreq processor drivers
      > #
      > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
      > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y
      > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
      > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
      > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
      > # CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD is not set
      > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
      > CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=y
      > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI is not set
      > CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=y
      > CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=y
      > # CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN is not set
      > # CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL is not set
      >
      > #
      > # Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)

      === message truncated ===

      =====
      Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
      There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
      Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
      Though down that road we've been so many times...
      - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Adrian Buss
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
        For fun I tried out the the same .config file. I can never remember what
        I need to do to make the disk labels in grub work. With the said .config
        file my disk label did not work.

        ro root=LABEL=/

        Adrian

        On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

> [...]
        > > CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
        > > CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
        > > CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
        > > CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
        > > # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
        > > CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
        > > CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
        > > CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
        > > CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
        > > CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
        > > # CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML is not set
        > >
        > > #
        > > # APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
        > > #
        > > CONFIG_APM=m
        > > # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
        > > # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
        > > # CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
        > > # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
        > > # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
        > > # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
        > > # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
        > >
        > > #
        > > # CPU Frequency scaling
        > > #
        > > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
        > > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
        > > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
        > > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
        > > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
        > > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
        > > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
        > > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
        > >
        > > #
        > > # CPUFreq processor drivers
        > > #
        > > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
        > > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y
        > > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
        > > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
        > > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
        > > # CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD is not set
        > > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
        > > CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=y
        > > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI is not set
        > > CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=y
        > > CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=y
        > > # CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN is not set
        > > # CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL is not set
        > >
        > > #
        > > # Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)
        > > #
        > > CONFIG_PCI=y
        > > # CONFIG_PCI_GOBIOS is not set
        > > # CONFIG_PCI_GODIRECT is not set
        > > CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
        > > CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
        > > CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
        > > # CONFIG_PCI_LEGACY_PROC is not set
        > > CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
        > > CONFIG_ISA=y
        > > # CONFIG_EISA is not set
        > > # CONFIG_MCA is not set
        > > # CONFIG_SCx200 is not set
        > > CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
        > >
        > > #
        > > # PCMCIA/CardBus support
        > > #
        > >
        > === message truncated ===
        >

        > =====
        > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
        > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
        > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
        > Though down that road we've been so many times...
        > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

        > Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for faster

        Adrian Buss - Senior Systems Administrator
        CIRA/ACEI - Canadian Internet Registration Authority http://www.cira.ca
        350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110 613-237-5335 ext. 239
        Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7S8 adrian.buss@...
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
          --- Adrian Buss <adrian.buss@...> wrote:

          > For fun I tried out the the same .config file. I
          > can never remember what
          > I need to do to make the disk labels in grub work.
          > With the said .config
          > file my disk label did not work.
          >

          > ro root=LABEL=/
          >

          > Adrian

          Don't know what the problem with that might be; I
          don't do much with GRUB. I'm a LILO fan myself :)

          Aside from that, I still get problems with the PCMCIA
          stuff as modules. Either way, running 'cardctl status'
          gives me an error roughly along the lines of 'no
          sockets found.' Running lsmod from my active 2.4.22
          kernel I see the following lines:

          yenta_socket 10368 2
          pcmcia_core 40032 0 [orinoco_cs ide-cs
          ds yenta_socket]

          I don't see any other lines that seem to be the
          controllers -- there's several entries for the cards I
          have inserted... but nothing related to the
          controller.

          Advice?

> [...]
          > > > CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
          > > > CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
          > > > CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
          > > > CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
          > > > CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
          > > > CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
          > > > CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
          > > > CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
          > > > # CONFIG_HPET_TIMER is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_SMP is not set
          > > > CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
          > > > # CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set
          > > > CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
          > > > CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
          > > > # CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL is not set
          > > > CONFIG_TOSHIBA=m
          > > > CONFIG_I8K=m
          > > > # CONFIG_MICROCODE is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_X86_MSR is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_X86_CPUID is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_EDD is not set
          > > > CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
          > > > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
          > > > CONFIG_MTRR=y
          > > > # CONFIG_EFI is not set
          > > > CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y
          > > >
          > > > #
          > > > # Power management options (ACPI, APM)
          > > > #
          > > > CONFIG_PM=y
          > > > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
          > > > CONFIG_PM_DISK=y
          > > > CONFIG_PM_DISK_PARTITION=""
          > > >
          > > > #
          > > > # ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power
          > Interface)
          > > > Support
          > > > #
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
          > > > # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
          > > > CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
          > > > # CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML is not set
          > > >
          > > > #
          > > > # APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
          > > > #
          > > > CONFIG_APM=m
          > > > # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
          > > > # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

          === message truncated ===

          =====
          Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
          There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
          Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
          Though down that road we've been so many times...

        • John Britton
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
            > --- Adrian Buss <adrian.buss@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > file my disk label did not work.
            > >

            > > ro root=LABEL=/

            Entry from my menu.lst file

            title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel
            root (hd0,1)
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
            savedefault
            boot

            > Aside from that, I still get problems with the PCMCIA
            > stuff as modules. Either way, running 'cardctl status'
            > gives me an error roughly along the lines of 'no
            > sockets found.' Running lsmod from my active 2.4.22
            > kernel I see the following lines:
            >
            > yenta_socket 10368 2
            > pcmcia_core 40032 0 [orinoco_cs ide-cs
            > ds yenta_socket]

            Sorry, don't use the PCMCIA stuff - should have mentioned that in the
            first place, John

            --
            John Britton
            Centre for Bioengineering,