Kernel Compiling

  • Matthew Beals
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      I noticed somebody had a question about this. If you
      go to Linuxquestions.org, to the Slackware forum,
      there is an excellent guide posted right at the top of
      the forum.

      Here is the forum:

      http://linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?forumid=14

      Don't worry that it says "Kernel 2.6.0," it works for
      the whole 2.6 series.

      NOTE: This is for Slackware -- it may or may not work
      with your particular distro. The main difference will
      probably be that the "make install" command will not
      work, and you will have to copy some files and edit
      your bootloader manually.

      That being said, at least it gives you an idea of what
      is involved.

      LinuxQuestions.org has many excellent forums both for
      general questions and distro-specific stuff... I
      highly recommend checking it out.

      Good luck!

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
    • Wade
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
        Dumb question but I need to ask.......

        I have been struggling for a week to get the wireless working on my
        new Inspiron 600m. I have tried EVERYTHING!! ipw2200, ndiswrapper,
        etc......

        I had seen on some forums how some people using Suse 9.3 had it
        working out of the box so I installed 9.3, but no wireless. It
        recognized the mini pci but I could not get a signal. What I did was
        download the latest firmware and put it in the /lib/firmware folder
        and BINGO, it worked. Wireless works flawlessly now.

        Problem is, I hate Suse and love Slack with DLG. Can I take the
        .config file from the kernel source on my Suse installation,
        re-install Slack 10.1 and recomplie the kernel using that config?? It
        appears to me that I may be able to and just get the firmware and
        setup the ipw2200 once I am done.

        What do you guys think??
      • Vaibhav Vaidya
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005

          Youur problems could be solved without recompiling the kernel, if you donnt want to do multiple installations... please do read my post experiences with a dell 9300... etc
          I had similar problems and got wireless working on Scientific LInux in the following way:
          Downloaded the source and firmware WITH THE SAME VERSION.
          REMOVED the old driver (the source from sourceforge had some script for this)(you might need the crypto libs)
          put the firmware in /lib/firmware AND /etc/firmware
          installed ieee crypto libraries
          installed ipw2200 from sourceforge
          modprobe-d it to make sure it could install
          dmesg-ed for ipw2200 to make sure the firmware was being recognised.
          manually configed ifcfg-eth0
          went into dell boot menu and put the wireless card to be ON by default
          made sure I didnt press wireless kill switch on motherboard
          power-off-on-ed

          More explicit info in my post to the list, from a couple of weeks ago. hope it's useful
          --Vaibhav
          Wade <sqdnguns@...> wrote:
          Dumb question but I need to ask.......

          I have been struggling for a week to get the wireless working on my
          new  Inspiron 600m. I have tried EVERYTHING!! ipw2200, ndiswrapper,
          etc......

          I had seen on some forums how some people using Suse 9.3 had it
          working out of the box so I installed 9.3, but no wireless. It
          recognized the mini pci but I could not get a signal. What I did was
          download the latest firmware and put it in the /lib/firmware folder
          and BINGO, it worked. Wireless works flawlessly now.

          Problem is, I hate Suse and love Slack with DLG. Can I take the
          .config file from the kernel source on my Suse installation,
          re-install Slack 10.1 and recomplie the kernel using that config?? It
          appears to me that I may be able to and just get the firmware and
          setup the ipw2200 once I am done.

          What do you guys think??

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
            --- Wade <sqdnguns@...> wrote:

            > Problem is, I hate Suse and love Slack with DLG. Can I take the
            > .config file from the kernel source on my Suse installation,
            > re-install Slack 10.1 and recomplie the kernel using that config?? It
            > appears to me that I may be able to and just get the firmware and
            > setup the ipw2200 once I am done.

            I had Slack 10.1 with 2.6.10 kernel and ipw2200 1.0.6 running perfectly on my
            600m. No problems. The latest version of ipw2200 seperates the ieee80211
            portions and I haven't had time to get all that compiled yet, but I suspect it
            should work once I do. I'm not sure if SuSe modifies their kernel or not. I
            always manually configure the vanilla kernel from www.kernel.org. For ipw
            wireless, you should make sure to have "wireless" compiled in, but you don't
            need any of the kernel's modules for any of those devices. And you also need to
            compile (usually as modules) the cryptography bits. I always just compile all
            of them as modules. It's ok to compile modules you won't use, they don't take
            up too much space. On the bits where I am uncertain of my specific hardware
            (like my realtime clock, or which lmsensor module I need) I just compile the
            whole group as modules. Chances are, one of them will work ;)