Re: OT - Are all Power Bricks created Equal?

  • Rainer Koehler
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      To answer the question: No, they're not all the same, but read on.

      > So, my question... I have an Inspiron 2650... will any recent Dell power
      > supply work for my laptop? I have a friend with an i8k and another with
      > an i8.6k. Can I test with their power plugs to be sure it's the power
      > adapter and not the system itself giving me the grief? I would assume
      > they're all the same, but wanted to check here first.

      Well, who do you trust more, some freak on this mailing list, or your
      own eyes? On the bottom of the power supply of my I4100 it says
      "Output: 20V, 3.5A". There are also some japanese letters and a symbol
      that might mean DC. Why don't you have a close look at your power
      brick and those of your friends? If the output specified is the same,
      and the connector fits, your chances are good it'll work. Of course,
      Dell could have switched the polarity of the pins, but I don't think
      they're that stupid.

      Now, back to unrealiable information from a mailing list :-)
      I know of three different power supplies. There's the one of my
      I4100, whis is the same for the whole I4k family, as far as I know.
      Then there's the one of the I8000, 8100, and 8200. I think that's the
      same as the one of the I4k, but more powerful. In theory, my laptop
      should work with it, but I never tried (and I never will, if I can
      avoid it). Finally, I know that the never Inspirons have a totally
      different connector, so the old power supplies can't be used.

      > If they are, all, indeed the same and it *is* the adapter at fault, does
      > anybody know where to get such things inexpensively? I'm a poor college
      > student. :-)

      I got a second power supply from Dell, but it wasn't exactly
      inexpensive. But they're quite frequently offered on ebay.

      Hope this helps,
      Rainer
    • Søren Madsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
        > Well, who do you trust more, some freak on this mailing list, or your

        If you can't trust a freak, then who can you trust? :)

        Kind Regards,
        Søren Madsen