RH9 stole my connectivity!

  • michaelclindsey
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hi all,
      I finally managed to force XP to give up enough space today to
      co-exist with RH9 on my Inspiron 1100. I installed the BroadCom
      driver, and am proud to say I'm writing this email from my Linux
      install. But when I try and use the Internet from XP now, it's gone!
      Settings are the same as they've always been. I just don't
      understand it.

      Thanks for any advice,

      Mike Lindsey

      [ Inspiron 1100 Red Hat 9 BroadCom 4401 Windows XP dual boot ]
    • ex0@cox.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 29, 2004
        I have had a similar problem but I'm not sure if it is the same as yours. If I boot up my machine into Red Hat and then rebooted (not shutdown) and then selected Windows XP, the NIC card would not work for some reason. But If I shutdown from linux and wait 5-7 seconds and then turn on the computer and boot into windows, it would work.

        Solved it every time for me. Go figure.

        ----Original Message below:
        > Hi all,
        > I finally managed to force XP to give up enough space today to
        > co-exist with RH9 on my Inspiron 1100. I installed the BroadCom
        > driver, and am proud to say I'm writing this email from my Linux
        > install. But when I try and use the Internet from XP now, it's gone!
        > Settings are the same as they've always been. I just don't
        > understand it.
        >
        > Thanks for any advice,
        >
        > Mike Lindsey
        >

        > [ Inspiron 1100 Red Hat 9 BroadCom 4401 Windows XP dual boot ]

      • Arani Sinha
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 29, 2004
          Hi Mike,

          Did you get your modem to work?

          Where did you find the driver? I have been trying for a while.

          Thanks a lot,

          Arani

          On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, michaelclindsey wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I finally managed to force XP to give up enough space today to
          > co-exist with RH9 on my Inspiron 1100. I installed the BroadCom
          > driver, and am proud to say I'm writing this email from my Linux
          > install. But when I try and use the Internet from XP now, it's gone!
          > Settings are the same as they've always been. I just don't
          > understand it.
          >
          > Thanks for any advice,
          >
          > Mike Lindsey
          >

          > [ Inspiron 1100 Red Hat 9 BroadCom 4401 Windows XP dual boot ]

        • Steffen Lorch
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 29, 2004
            Du (Arani Sinha) schriebst:

            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > Did you get your modem to work?
            >
            > Where did you find the driver? I have been trying for a while.

            Well, I did so too, and there are - IMHO - two ways to get it work:

            1.) turn of ACPI in the Kernel (well that is maybe not really what you
            want)

            2.) patch the kernel with the ACPI patch from sf.net

            I, myself, was very lazy and used the precompiled Kernel of SuSE which
            works really well. I only did this because it is the notebook of my
            girlfriend. I think on my own maschine, I would have testet more and
            would have used gentoo, but that is not really what my girlfriend needs.

            But here is what I tested:

            - vanilla kernel with ACPI patch - 2.4.25 and 2.6.3, which both
            _did_not_ work - no mather with or without the patch.
            - gentoo kernel sources - did not work
            - knoppix c't version, which worked (hardware installation)
            - debian 2.4.28, which did not work
            - suse kernel which worked

            _ALL_ kernels worked which acpi=off in the append line.

            I belive dell really suck which their bord acpi configuration.

            HTH
            Steffen

            --
            BOFH Excuse #44:

            bank holiday - system operating credits not recharged
          • Michael Lindsey
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
              Hi Arani and ex0@...--
              ex0-- you were right! If I shutdown the machine
              altogether, the NIC works fine for XP. But if I
              reboot to switch OSs, the problem pops up again.
              Thanks so much--my wife is saved from having to use
              Linux (F.U.D. victim).
              Arani--I didn't try to use the modem; I live in
              Bulgaria, where we don't even bother with the
              land-line telephones. If you mean the driver for the
              network card, I got it from Broadcom's at:
              http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php?cookiecheck=1
              It's the BCM4401 driver. After you decompress the
              archive, the README file gives install instructions.
              It was a snap.
              It looks like I need to thoroughly go over Steffen's
              recommendations in his posting.

              Thanks,
              Mike Lindsey

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/s5T0lB/TM

              =====
              Yo, this is the new email address. @... will go away after August 1st ...

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
            • ex0@cox.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
                I'm sure that will be one of the few times i'm EVER right. I just figured you had the same problem.