OT - Are all Power Bricks created Equal?

  • AthlonRob
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27 1:36 PM
      I've tripped on the damn thing more times than I can count. It has been
      yanked pretty hard in some of those trips as I'm holding the laptop when
      I do the trip.

      I think the end of the plug is damaged. I'm really hoping it isn't
      where it goes into the computer... that would, I fear, mean a new
      motherboard is in order. I'm just about two months outside of warranty
      (figures, huh?).

      If I wiggle the cord around just right, I can get the battery charged.
      It's difficult, certainly.

      So, my question... I have an Inspiron 2650... will any recent Dell power
      supply work for my laptop? I have a friend with an i8k and another with
      an i8.6k. Can I test with their power plugs to be sure it's the power
      adapter and not the system itself giving me the grief? I would assume
      they're all the same, but wanted to check here first.

      If they are, all, indeed the same and it *is* the adapter at fault, does
      anybody know where to get such things inexpensively? I'm a poor college
      student. :-)

      Thanks...

      Rob
    • Søren Madsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27 7:15 PM
        > So, my question... I have an Inspiron 2650... will any recent Dell power
        > supply work for my laptop? I have a friend with an i8k and another with
        > an i8.6k. Can I test with their power plugs to be sure it's the power
        > adapter and not the system itself giving me the grief? I would assume
        > they're all the same, but wanted to check here first.

        I have previously used a powersupply from some older Dell laptop for
        my I8200 and it worked fine. The bios complained about something (cant
        remember what) at startup because the supply could not supply as many
        amps as my own, but otherwise it worked fine.
        This is ofcause just one instance where it worked, and does not prove
        anything... :)

        Kind Regards,
        Søren Madsen
      • Rainer Koehler
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
          To answer the question: No, they're not all the same, but read on.

          > So, my question... I have an Inspiron 2650... will any recent Dell power
          > supply work for my laptop? I have a friend with an i8k and another with
          > an i8.6k. Can I test with their power plugs to be sure it's the power
          > adapter and not the system itself giving me the grief? I would assume
          > they're all the same, but wanted to check here first.

          Well, who do you trust more, some freak on this mailing list, or your
          own eyes? On the bottom of the power supply of my I4100 it says
          "Output: 20V, 3.5A". There are also some japanese letters and a symbol
          that might mean DC. Why don't you have a close look at your power
          brick and those of your friends? If the output specified is the same,
          and the connector fits, your chances are good it'll work. Of course,
          Dell could have switched the polarity of the pins, but I don't think
          they're that stupid.

          Now, back to unrealiable information from a mailing list :-)
          I know of three different power supplies. There's the one of my
          I4100, whis is the same for the whole I4k family, as far as I know.
          Then there's the one of the I8000, 8100, and 8200. I think that's the
          same as the one of the I4k, but more powerful. In theory, my laptop
          should work with it, but I never tried (and I never will, if I can
          avoid it). Finally, I know that the never Inspirons have a totally
          different connector, so the old power supplies can't be used.

          > If they are, all, indeed the same and it *is* the adapter at fault, does
          > anybody know where to get such things inexpensively? I'm a poor college
          > student. :-)

          I got a second power supply from Dell, but it wasn't exactly
          inexpensive. But they're quite frequently offered on ebay.

          Hope this helps,
          Rainer
        • Søren Madsen
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
            > Well, who do you trust more, some freak on this mailing list, or your

            If you can't trust a freak, then who can you trust? :)

            Kind Regards,
            Søren Madsen