CD-RW keeps popping out of bay

  • Søren Madsen
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
      Hi!

      I have this problem... Every now and then (when I move the computer
      around), my (removeable) CD-RW pops out of the bay. It does not happen
      to the battery which is in the bay next to the CD-RW, nor does it
      happen when the floppy is in the same bay as the CD-RW.

      Have anyone experienced something like this? And maby got a cure...

      Kind Regards,
      Soeren Madsen
    • IbericoVespucio
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
        Søren Madsen escribía: [[linux-dell-laptops] CD-RW keeps popping out of bay], el 27 de febrero de 2004 a las 18:35:20 (-0000)
        > Hi!
        >
        > I have this problem... Every now and then (when I move the computer
        > around), my (removeable) CD-RW pops out of the bay.

        Just in the case. With CD (or HD) spining you sould only move the
        laptop with care of mantain it horizontal. NEVER turn it in an axix
        different of the vertical one.

        I don't know about HD, but CD touch the case if you move it without
        care. Perhaps as a security mechanism the laptop eject it in such a
        situation.

        Ángel.

        --
        ibericovespucio
        @...

        "No dejes crecer la hierba en el camino de la amistad."
        (Platón)
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
          --- IbericoVespucio <ibericovespucio@...> wrote:
          > S�ren Madsen escrib�a: [[linux-dell-laptops] CD-RW
          > keeps popping out of bay], el 27 de febrero de 2004
          > a las 18:35:20 (-0000)
          > > Hi!
          > >
          > > I have this problem... Every now and then (when I
          > move the computer
          > > around), my (removeable) CD-RW pops out of the
          > bay.
          >
          > Just in the case. With CD (or HD) spining you sould
          > only move the
          > laptop with care of mantain it horizontal. NEVER
          > turn it in an axix
          > different of the vertical one.
          >
          > I don't know about HD, but CD touch the case if you
          > move it without
          > care. Perhaps as a security mechanism the laptop
          > eject it in such a
          > situation.

          More likely, I think, there's a problem with the
          drive. I had a similar experience with a Optiplex GX1
          workstation with a slimline CD drive (almost identical
          to the ones in most Dell laptops) that wouldn't stay
          closed. If you have an active service contract with
          Dell I would suggest calling them about it. It would
          be nice if you had an identical system that you could
          swap drives with (this is the modular bay, right?) to
          make sure the problem stays with the drive, not the laptop.

          =====
          Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
          There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
          Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
          Though down that road we've been so many times...
          - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
        • Søren Madsen
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
            Hi Again!

            I think I have explained the situation poorly... :)

            It is not the CD, but the entire drive that is popping out. If I, say,
            put my (turned off!) computer in the bag and leave for work, then when
            I set up up at work again I, at some point, notice that the entire
            drive is disconnected and have slightly popped out of the removeable
            drive-bay. It never happends when my floppy drive is in the bay, only
            when the CD-RW drive is there...

            Any ideas?

            Kind Regards,
            Soeren Madsen
          • W.K. Vladmir Ward
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
              --- S�ren_Madsen <Soeren@...> wrote:
              > Hi Again!
              >
              > I think I have explained the situation poorly... :)
              >
              > It is not the CD, but the entire drive that is
              > popping out. If I, say,
              > put my (turned off!) computer in the bag and leave
              > for work, then when
              > I set up up at work again I, at some point, notice
              > that the entire
              > drive is disconnected and have slightly popped out
              > of the removeable
              > drive-bay. It never happends when my floppy drive is
              > in the bay, only
              > when the CD-RW drive is there...
              >
              > Any ideas?

              Ahhh...Depending on the machine you have (I'm going by
              my I8200 here) there should be a little notch on the
              bottom of the module, right around the center. Just by
              eyeballing it it doesn't seem to me that there's any
              way it could wear out or break off easily, but if you
              have a different model if could be vastly different.
              Take a look over the CD and floppy drives and see if
              anything is broken. If that doesn't reveal anything,
              get out the old flashlight and take a peek inside the
              bay itself to see if you can see any damage to the
              latch (white stretch marks, broken off stuff, etc).
              Dell should cover this, I would think, if you have an
              active contract. They did, after all, replace my
              floppy plate for my desktop when the button broke off...

              =====

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
                > Ahhh...Depending on the machine you have (I'm going by
                > my I8200 here) there should be a little notch on the
                > bottom of the module, right around the center. Just by
                > eyeballing it it doesn't seem to me that there's any
                > way it could wear out or break off easily, but if you
                > have a different model if could be vastly different.
                > Take a look over the CD and floppy drives and see if
                > anything is broken. If that doesn't reveal anything,
                > get out the old flashlight and take a peek inside the
                > bay itself to see if you can see any damage to the
                > latch (white stretch marks, broken off stuff, etc).
                > Dell should cover this, I would think, if you have an
                > active contract. They did, after all, replace my
                > floppy plate for my desktop when the button broke off...

                I also have an I8200, so I will try to look for this. Thanks a lot!

                Unfortunately, my warrenty ran out last month... But, it is not a very
                big problem. Just one of those annoying things... :)

                Thanks again for the help!

                Kind Regards,
                Soeren Madsen
              • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
                  --- S�ren_Madsen <Soeren@...> wrote:

                  > > Ahhh...Depending on the machine you have (I'm
                  > going by
                  > > my I8200 here) there should be a little notch on
                  > the
                  > > bottom of the module, right around the center.
                  > Just by
                  > > eyeballing it it doesn't seem to me that there's
                  > any
                  > > way it could wear out or break off easily, but if
                  > you
                  > > have a different model if could be vastly
                  > different.
                  > > Take a look over the CD and floppy drives and see
                  > if
                  > > anything is broken. If that doesn't reveal
                  > anything,
                  > > get out the old flashlight and take a peek inside
                  > the
                  > > bay itself to see if you can see any damage to the
                  > > latch (white stretch marks, broken off stuff,
                  > etc).
                  > > Dell should cover this, I would think, if you have
                  > an
                  > > active contract. They did, after all, replace my
                  > > floppy plate for my desktop when the button broke
                  > off...
                  >
                  > I also have an I8200, so I will try to look for
                  > this. Thanks a lot!
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, my warrenty ran out last month...
                  > But, it is not a very
                  > big problem. Just one of those annoying things... :)
                  >
                  > Thanks again for the help!

                  No problem. Just out of curiosity, what length of
                  warranty did you get? I personally have a three-year,
                  which I got rather than a one year for the sole reason
                  of all the problems we'd had with Dell machines at
                  work... and yet I still bought a Dell machine. Go
                  figure :)

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
                    Greetings...

                    Yesterday I downloaded the 2.6.3 kernel, as I heard
                    from numerous sources that it runs very well. I copied
                    the stock .config that came with Slackware 9.1 over to
                    the new kernel source dir, and ran 'make oldconfig',
                    and compiled.

                    Things seemed to go pretty well, until after I dropped
                    the new kernel into /boot and added it to LILO... when
                    I try to select it on boot, it seems to run fine,
                    until it gets to the following line:

                    hda: IC25N030ATCS04-0, ATA DISK drive

                    After this is just sits there. I let it stand for a
                    couple minutes with no discernable activity. I don't
                    know if it's having a problem with hda, or hdb (shown
                    in my 2.4.22 bare.i kernel as "hdb: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM
                    GDR8081N, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive"). Any ideas which
                    drive is causing the problem, and why it's having this
                    issue? Attached is my .config file.

                    Thanks for any help you can offer.

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
                      > No problem. Just out of curiosity, what length of
                      > warranty did you get? I personally have a three-year,
                      > which I got rather than a one year for the sole reason
                      > of all the problems we'd had with Dell machines at
                      > work... and yet I still bought a Dell machine. Go
                      > figure :)

                      I had a 1 year full service thing and I have 2 years of ordinary
                      Danish warrenty. I dont think the Danish warrenty covers things like
                      this, but it could be worth a try... :)

                      Btw... I had no prior experience with Dell before buying this. Its a
                      fine machine, but with all the problems I have had, I think I would
                      also have choosen the 3 year warrenty if I had to choose now...

                      Kind Regards,
                      Søren Madsen
                    • John Britton
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 28, 2004
                        On 15:30 Fri 27 Feb , W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                        > Greetings...
                        >
                        > Yesterday I downloaded the 2.6.3 kernel, as I heard
                        > from numerous sources that it runs very well. I copied
                        > the stock .config that came with Slackware 9.1 over to
                        > the new kernel source dir, and ran 'make oldconfig',
                        > and compiled.

                        2.6.3 works fine on my i82k - have attached my .config file. Hope this
                        is of some use to you.

                        Regards, John.
                      • David Corbin
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 28, 2004
                          On Friday 27 February 2004 16:05, Søren Madsen wrote:
                          > Hi Again!
                          >
                          > I think I have explained the situation poorly... :)
                          >
                          > It is not the CD, but the entire drive that is popping out. If I, say,
                          > put my (turned off!) computer in the bag and leave for work, then when
                          > I set up up at work again I, at some point, notice that the entire
                          > drive is disconnected and have slightly popped out of the removeable
                          > drive-bay. It never happends when my floppy drive is in the bay, only
                          > when the CD-RW drive is there...
                          >
                          > Any ideas?

                          On my Dell (a very old Inspiron), there's spring-loaded slide that you have to
                          push in order to remove the bay. Perhaps your spring is broken?

                          --
                          David Corbin <dcorbin@...>
                        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
                            Thanks for the config -- I compiled it and it booted,
                            but I didn't have any PCMCIA support. I set all the
                            PCMCIA socket drivers to be modules instead of
                            built-in (I had problem with built-in PCMCIA
                            controller modules in the 2.4 series) and I'm now
                            recompiling. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

                            --- John Britton <john.britton@...> wrote:
> [...]
                            > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
                            > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
                            > # CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
                            > CONFIG_MTRR=y
                            > # CONFIG_EFI is not set
                            > CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y
                            >
                            > #
                            > # Power management options (ACPI, APM)
                            > #
                            > CONFIG_PM=y
                            > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
                            > CONFIG_PM_DISK=y
                            > CONFIG_PM_DISK_PARTITION=""
                            >
                            > #
                            > # ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
                            > Support
                            > #
                            > CONFIG_ACPI=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
                            > # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
                            > CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
                            > # CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML is not set
                            >
                            > #
                            > # APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
                            > #
                            > CONFIG_APM=m
                            > # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
                            > # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
                            > # CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
                            > # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
                            > # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
                            > # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
                            > # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
                            >
                            > #
                            > # CPU Frequency scaling
                            > #
                            > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
                            > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
                            > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
                            > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
                            > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
                            > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
                            > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
                            > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
                            >
                            > #
                            > # CPUFreq processor drivers
                            > #
                            > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
                            > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y
                            > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
                            > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
                            > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
                            > # CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD is not set
                            > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
                            > CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=y
                            > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI is not set
                            > CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=y
                            > CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=y
                            > # CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN is not set
                            > # CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL is not set
                            >
                            > #
                            > # Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)

                            === message truncated ===

                            =====
                            Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                            There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                            Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                            Though down that road we've been so many times...
                            - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                            http://search.yahoo.com
                          • Adrian Buss
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
                              For fun I tried out the the same .config file. I can never remember what
                              I need to do to make the disk labels in grub work. With the said .config
                              file my disk label did not work.

                              ro root=LABEL=/

                              Adrian

                              On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

> [...]
                              > > CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
                              > > CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
                              > > CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
                              > > CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
                              > > # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
                              > > CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
                              > > CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
                              > > CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
                              > > CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
                              > > CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
                              > > # CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML is not set
                              > >
                              > > #
                              > > # APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
                              > > #
                              > > CONFIG_APM=m
                              > > # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
                              > >
                              > > #
                              > > # CPU Frequency scaling
                              > > #
                              > > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
                              > > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
                              > > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
                              > > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
                              > > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
                              > > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
                              > > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
                              > >
                              > > #
                              > > # CPUFreq processor drivers
                              > > #
                              > > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
                              > > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y
                              > > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
                              > > CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=y
                              > > # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI is not set
                              > > CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=y
                              > > CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=y
                              > > # CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL is not set
                              > >
                              > > #
                              > > # Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)
                              > > #
                              > > CONFIG_PCI=y
                              > > # CONFIG_PCI_GOBIOS is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_PCI_GODIRECT is not set
                              > > CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
                              > > CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
                              > > CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
                              > > # CONFIG_PCI_LEGACY_PROC is not set
                              > > CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
                              > > CONFIG_ISA=y
                              > > # CONFIG_EISA is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_MCA is not set
                              > > # CONFIG_SCx200 is not set
                              > > CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
                              > >
                              > > #
                              > > # PCMCIA/CardBus support
                              > > #
                              > >
                              > === message truncated ===
                              >

                              > =====
                              > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                              > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                              > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                              > Though down that road we've been so many times...
                              > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                              > Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for faster

                              Adrian Buss - Senior Systems Administrator
                              CIRA/ACEI - Canadian Internet Registration Authority http://www.cira.ca
                              350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110 613-237-5335 ext. 239
                              Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7S8 adrian.buss@...
                            • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
                                --- Adrian Buss <adrian.buss@...> wrote:

                                > For fun I tried out the the same .config file. I
                                > can never remember what
                                > I need to do to make the disk labels in grub work.
                                > With the said .config
                                > file my disk label did not work.
                                >

                                > ro root=LABEL=/
                                >

                                > Adrian

                                Don't know what the problem with that might be; I
                                don't do much with GRUB. I'm a LILO fan myself :)

                                Aside from that, I still get problems with the PCMCIA
                                stuff as modules. Either way, running 'cardctl status'
                                gives me an error roughly along the lines of 'no
                                sockets found.' Running lsmod from my active 2.4.22
                                kernel I see the following lines:

                                yenta_socket 10368 2
                                pcmcia_core 40032 0 [orinoco_cs ide-cs
                                ds yenta_socket]

                                I don't see any other lines that seem to be the
                                controllers -- there's several entries for the cards I
                                have inserted... but nothing related to the
                                controller.

                                Advice?

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
                                  > --- Adrian Buss <adrian.buss@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > file my disk label did not work.
                                  > >

                                  > > ro root=LABEL=/

                                  Entry from my menu.lst file

                                  title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel
                                  root (hd0,1)
                                  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
                                  savedefault
                                  boot

                                  > Aside from that, I still get problems with the PCMCIA
                                  > stuff as modules. Either way, running 'cardctl status'
                                  > gives me an error roughly along the lines of 'no
                                  > sockets found.' Running lsmod from my active 2.4.22
                                  > kernel I see the following lines:
                                  >
                                  > yenta_socket 10368 2
                                  > pcmcia_core 40032 0 [orinoco_cs ide-cs
                                  > ds yenta_socket]

                                  Sorry, don't use the PCMCIA stuff - should have mentioned that in the
                                  first place, John

                                  --
                                  John Britton
                                  Centre for Bioengineering,