Re: inspiron 1100 display problem

  • ar_gordon
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2004
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
      <dsolley@s...> wrote:
      > On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 01:28, ar_gordon wrote:
      > > I just got a new M'board on my 1100 with bios version A26. I'm
      > > running RH 9.0 with kernel 2.4.20-30-9. The version of XFree86 is
      > > 4.3.0-2.
      > >
      > > I installed the 845patch from the rpm. This fixed some of the display
      > > problem (reduced display size). However, when I close the cover and
      > > reopen it, there is a bar of color at the top of the screen,
      > > displacing everything on the desktop downward. Changing display
      > > settings does not seem to affect this.
      > >
      > > Any ideas about fixing this?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Allen
      >
      > Hi Allen
      > This is easily 'fixed' by switching to console and back to X. To do
      > this, hit:
      > ctrl+alt+F1
      > (takes you to console)
      > And then
      > ctrl+alt+F7
      > (to take you back to X).
      > This resets the display and removes the garbage. You can also use this
      > trick if you get the garbage line when plugging in an external monitor.
      > Regards
      > Damien

      While this isn't a 'fix' it is a fair work-around. I had found that
      restarting X resets the display. The other issue that appears to be
      related to this is that the mouse cursor will jump from the in-focus
      window to the bottom of the screen with unpredictable results. It
      happens with either Gnome or KDE desktop, so it is most likely related
      to X. Hope I don't have to go tracing through the code.....

      Allen