Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: About hibernation (Paul V. Gratz, please read it)

  • Paul Gratz
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 24, 2004
      To follow up my own email, I did some experimenting and I found a few things:

      1. Echoing 3 to sleep does nothing on my machine. There isn't even a "dmesg" associated with it, catting sleep give this though:"S0 S1 S3 S4 (swsusp) S5".  Does anyone know what is going on here?
      2. Catting "performance" gives me the following:

      localhost CPU0 # cat performance
      state count:             6
      active state:            P4
      states:
          P0:                  2400 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
          P1:                  2400 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
          P2:                  2400 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
          P3:                  2400 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
         *P4:                  2400 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
          P5:                  1200 MHz, 15000 mW, 250 uS

      However echoing "5" to performance gives me this dmesg:

      acpi_processor-1426 [24] acpi_processor_apply_l: Unable to set limit
      acpi_processor-1095 [23] acpi_processor_set_per: Transition failed

      I also tried playing with the limit stuff but that seemed to not have an effect. Here is a cat of limit:

      localhost CPU0 # cat limit
      active limit:            P4:T0
      platform limit:          P4:T0
      user limit:              P5:T0
      thermal limit:           P0:T0

      Does anyone know how to get my processor into the lower power/slower speed state?  I did performance tests and P4 and P0 both have exactly the same performance...

      Thanks!
      Paul

      On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 09:47, Paul Gratz wrote:
      On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 05:42, martinjreed wrote:
      <snip>
      > Yes please cany you repost them, I have had no problem hacking a lid
      > script (hibernate when under battery, backlight off when on power -
      > for an external monitor) but things like changing performance and
      > automatically hibernating when nearly flat would be useful...

      They are attached, but I didn't do anything as exciting as that, as it
      stands I leave the performance stuff alone.  Most of the time I'm
      running on battery I'm doing simulations and I don't want to wait the
      extra time it would take if the processor was running at half its speed
      (I have a p4-m which only has two speed step settings).  Have others had
      success with messing with the performance?

      > Also, how did you get suspend to RAM to work (echo 3 >
      > /proc/acpi/sleep)? I have problems bringing it back up (when booting
      > 2.6 as 2.4 does not support it right?) as the display is corrupted. I
      > have a Radeon 7500 and I hear that this kind of thing is display
      > dependent so your solution might not work for me but would like to
      > hear your experiences with it.

      As far as sleep to ram I just do echo 1 >/proc/acpi/sleep.  Reading your
      comments made me go over to the acpi page and see what it was I was
      doing :-).  It looks like you are right, an S1 state is not fully
      suspend to ram as I thought it was but only "stop executing". It does
      seem to be enough to get a significant extension of the battery time
      though. I'm going to try experimenting with state 3 though...
      Paul

      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/s5T0lB/TM

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/