dell 5100 laptop prob

  • Syntax
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2004
      When i turn off my dell 5100 laptop. Tthe laptop does not turn off by
      itself why is that?

      When shutt down all i see is power off.But it will not shut the power
      off with my laptop. Why is that?
    • Martin D. White
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2004
        I have a 5150 and when I type "poweroff" it does a nice shutdown and then
        turns off.
        If I type "halt" or "shutdown -t now" it shuts down but does not power off.

        Martin D. White

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
          You just type poweroff in the commond prompt? You useing red hat linux?

          > I have a 5150 and when I type "poweroff" it does a nice shutdown and
          then
          > turns off.
          > If I type "halt" or "shutdown -t now" it shuts down but does not
          power off.

          > Martin D. White

        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
            If you are using Mandrake you can try to add "noapic nolapic" to the
            kernel parameters in your lilo.conf or grub.conf.
            You can also add "apm=off acpi=on" or "apm=on acpi=off".

            Alex.

            Syntax wrote:
            > You just type poweroff in the commond prompt? You useing red hat linux?
            >

            >>I have a 5150 and when I type "poweroff" it does a nice shutdown and
            >
            > then
            >
            >>turns off.
            >>If I type "halt" or "shutdown -t now" it shuts down but does not
            >
            > power off.
            >
            >> Martin D. White

            http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
            tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
          • martin d white
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
              I just type 'poweroff' and the laptop shuts down and turns off. I am using
              redhat 9.0 with kernel 2.4.24 patched with ACPI and cpufreq.

              Martin D. White
              Inspiron 5150 (3.06Ghz 512MB UXGA) with RedHat 9.0
              http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhite/laptop

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
                I look in my demesg and found no apm support in the kernel.