driver-pctel modem..ins8500 help..

  • daffyduck44
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 10, 2004
      i ve researched .. but i just cant find anything
      on pctel mdc 2304wt modem drivers..
      for mandrake 9.2
      the system recogs the device but doesnt have it installed.. its an
      un known device in the mandrake device manager..

      need link to driver download please..
    • Richard Morency
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 10, 2004
        http://pctelcompdb.sourceforge.net/

        That site has info on a ton of various flavors of PCTel modems, along
        with driver downloads and any source changes that must be made for
        your particular model.

        --Richard

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "daffyduck44"
        <daffyduck44@y...> wrote:
        > i ve researched .. but i just cant find anything
        > on pctel mdc 2304wt modem drivers..
        > for mandrake 9.2
        > the system recogs the device but doesnt have it installed.. its an
        > un known device in the mandrake device manager..
        >

        > need link to driver download please..
      • martin d white
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 11, 2004
          I have an Inspiron 5150 with RedHat 9.0. Can anyone point me to information on
          how to get the <Fn>+<PageUp> and <Fn>+<PageDn> key combination to control the
          volume like they do in WinXP?

          Martin D. White
          http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhite/laptop
          http://www.ouraysoftware.com The Powerful, Easy to use, and Inexpensive SCM
        • Tanmay Vernekar
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 11, 2004
            download lineak & install it
            it works with my 5150

            cheers
            tanmay

            > I have an Inspiron 5150 with RedHat 9.0. Can anyone point me to information on
            > how to get the + and + key combination to control the
            > volume like they do in WinXP?
            >
            > Martin D. White
            > http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhite/laptop
            > http://www.ouraysoftware.com The Powerful, Easy to use, and Inexpensive SCM

            IndiaInfo Mail - the free e-mail service with a difference! www.indiainfo.com
            Check out our value-added Premium features, such as an extra 20MB for mail storage, POP3, e-mail forwarding, and ads-free mailboxes!

            Powered by Outblaze
          • Rafael Bonifaz
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 11, 2004
              I just try to install morphix on my hd. When I
              installed lilo I choose the MBR as I have done before
              with any linux installation. The problem is then I
              boot all I get is a screen with a lot of "99" on it.
              What am I doing wrong?
              Please help I can only use my laptop with a live cd at
              the moment and I need to do flash homework on windows
              and I cant access windows.

            • Kevin Warren Ponds
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 11, 2004
                LILO is not loading correctly; I've mostly seen this problem with
                installig LILO on the first sector of the boot/root partition, but have
                never seen it on the MBR.

                Maybe you have a corrupt MBR, I would advise loading a rescue disk,
                mounting and chrooting your root partition, and reflecting lilo.

                On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] Rafael Bonifaz wrote:

                > I just try to install morphix on my hd. When I
                > installed lilo I choose the MBR as I have done before
                > with any linux installation. The problem is then I
                > boot all I get is a screen with a lot of "99" on it.
                > What am I doing wrong?
                > Please help I can only use my laptop with a live cd at
                > the moment and I need to do flash homework on windows
                > and I cant access windows.

              • Marvin Pierce
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 11, 2004
                  Get the acme multimedia software package and it'll map the keys the way
                  you wish.
                  ---

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 11, 2004
                    --- Kevin Warren Ponds <kwp13@...>
                    escribió: > LILO is not loading correctly; I've mostly
                    seen this
                    > problem with
                    > installig LILO on the first sector of the boot/root
                    > partition, but have
                    > never seen it on the MBR.
                    >
                    > Maybe you have a corrupt MBR, I would advise loading
                    > a rescue disk,
                    > mounting and chrooting your root partition, and
                    > reflecting lilo.

                    I am sorry but I didn't understand the last part.
                    "mounting and chrooting your root partition, and
                    reflecting lilo"
                    Can I use morphix as the rescue disk?

                  • Syntax
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 11, 2004
                      What linux you running on the laptop?

                      > LILO is not loading correctly; I've mostly seen this problem with
                      > installig LILO on the first sector of the boot/root partition, but have
                      > never seen it on the MBR.
                      >
                      > Maybe you have a corrupt MBR, I would advise loading a rescue disk,
                      > mounting and chrooting your root partition, and reflecting lilo.
                      >
                      > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] Rafael Bonifaz wrote:
                      >
                      > > I just try to install morphix on my hd. When I
                      > > installed lilo I choose the MBR as I have done before
                      > > with any linux installation. The problem is then I
                      > > boot all I get is a screen with a lot of "99" on it.
                      > > What am I doing wrong?
                      > > Please help I can only use my laptop with a live cd at
                      > > the moment and I need to do flash homework on windows
                      > > and I cant access windows.

                      Service.

                    • Bill Rosoman
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 11, 2004
                        Hi,

                        I would love to have an external monitor going on my
                        Notepad, but only get lines on the external!

                        I am running Mandrake 9.2
                        KDE 3.1
                        Inspiron 2650
                        Kernel 2.4.22-26

                        Any help appreciated!

                        Bill

                        =====

                        Bill Rosoman Dip C.S
                        Hamilton

                        New Zealand
                        Telephone +64-21-233-5427

                        Email leftfieldnz@...
                        http://eastcoast.hypermart.net

                        Personal Home Page http://www.geocities.com/leftfieldnz

                      • Rafael Bonifaz
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                          I try to install Morphix. It is a live cd (you can run
                          it from a cd without installation) base on knoppix and
                          debian. There is an option to intall morphix on the hd
                          ant is really easy to use. The problem is that it
                          doesn't install lilo correctly.

                          The reason I want to use morphix is that it is really
                          good recognicing hardware and my wirless card works
                          with no configuration. I make it work on fedora, but
                          Fedora don't have good multimedia support. I made it
                          work with Mandrake 9.2 but it is to buggy. So I think
                          I would go back to Mandrake 9.1 and compile the driver
                          myself.

                          --- Syntax <hdcmodemjammer@...> escribió: >

                          > What linux you running on the laptop?

                          > > LILO is not loading correctly; I've mostly seen
                          > this problem with
                          > > installig LILO on the first sector of the
                          > boot/root partition, but have
                          > > never seen it on the MBR.
                          > >
                          > > Maybe you have a corrupt MBR, I would advise
                          > > mounting and chrooting your root partition, and
                          > reflecting lilo.
                          > >
                          > > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] Rafael Bonifaz
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > I just try to install morphix on my hd. When I
                          > > > installed lilo I choose the MBR as I have done
                          > before
                          > > > with any linux installation. The problem is then
                          > > > boot all I get is a screen with a lot of "99" on
                          > it.
                          > > > What am I doing wrong?
                          > > > Please help I can only use my laptop with a live
                          > cd at
                          > > > the moment and I need to do flash homework on
                          > windows
                          > > > and I cant access windows.

                          > > > Información de Estados Unidos y América Latina,
                          > en Yahoo! Noticias.
                          > > > Visítanos en http://noticias.espanol.yahoo.com

                          > email to:

                          > Yahoo! Terms of
                          > Service.

                        • Paul Gratz
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                            We probably need a couple more details first:

                            1. Do you want the external display to show a copy of the LCD or do you
                            want it to be an extension to the desktop.
                            2. What kind of video card does your laptop have? If you have an ati I
                            can probably help you if nvidia there are others here who can.

                            If you don't know on #2 send a copy of the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file,
                            it should have the details.
                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                              I had a similar problem with Mandrake 9.2 and my
                              inspiron 5100. It work right with Mandrake 9.1

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                                --- Paul Gratz <pgratz@...> wrote: > We
                                probably need a couple more details first:

                                > 1. Do you want the external display to show a copy
                                > of the LCD or do you
                                > want it to be an extension to the desktop.
                                > 2. What kind of video card does your laptop have? If
                                > you have an ati I
                                > can probably help you if nvidia there are others
                                > here who can.

                                I have a Nvidia NV11 Geforce2 Go

                                I really want to see the LCD on the CRT.

                                Did not really realise that you could have a seperate
                                destop on CRT, that is real cool and would be fun to
                                show Windoze Freaks LOL.

                                I am getting organised to do a presentation to the
                                local computer cluib on Linux seeing ass 99.9% use
                                Windoze.

                                My computer seems to use both XF86Config and
                                XF86Config-4 managed to crash the GUI and restore the
                                settings that was fun!

                                Thanks
                                Bill

                              • Paul Gratz
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                                  Unfortunately I have an ATI radeon 9000 (M9) so these will need to be
                                  modded a bit. I'm attaching two XF86Config files, the first
                                  (XF86Config.clone) is to clone the LCD display on the external screen.
                                  The second (XF86Config.xinerama.home) is to use xinerama mode to use the
                                  external monitor to make a wider desktop (harder to explain than to just
                                  try it and see what I mean). Hopefully someone on here can tell you the
                                  changes you'll need to do to make this work w/ nvidia.
                                  Paul

                                  On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 12:52, Bill Rosoman wrote:
                                  > --- Paul Gratz <pgratz@...> wrote: > We
                                  > probably need a couple more details first:
                                  > >
                                  > > 1. Do you want the external display to show a copy
                                  > > of the LCD or do you
                                  > > want it to be an extension to the desktop.
                                  > > 2. What kind of video card does your laptop have? If
                                  > > you have an ati I
                                  > > can probably help you if nvidia there are others
                                  > > here who can.
                                  > >

                                  > I have a Nvidia NV11 Geforce2 Go
                                  >
                                  > I really want to see the LCD on the CRT.
                                  >
                                  > Did not really realise that you could have a seperate
                                  > destop on CRT, that is real cool and would be fun to
                                  > show Windoze Freaks LOL.
                                  >
                                  > I am getting organised to do a presentation to the
                                  > local computer cluib on Linux seeing ass 99.9% use
                                  > Windoze.
                                  >
                                  > My computer seems to use both XF86Config and
                                  > XF86Config-4 managed to crash the GUI and restore the
                                  > settings that was fun!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Bill

                                • Daevid Vincent
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                                    look into xinerama.
                                    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/
                                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xinerama

                                    As for "showing Windoze Freaks", um, dual monitors has worked pretty much
                                    flawlessly since Win98 as plug and play, so I wouldn't gloat too much or you
                                    may end up with egg on your face ;-). I did have dual monitors a long time
                                    ago on Linux with some 3rd party X-window system (can't recall their name
                                    anymore), but haven't attempted it with Xinerama -- however some of my
                                    co-workers use it with success.

                                    Daevid Vincent
                                    http://daevid.com

                                    ________________________________

                                    I really want to see the LCD on the CRT.

                                    Did not really realise that you could have a seperate
                                    destop on CRT, that is real cool and would be fun to
                                    show Windoze Freaks LOL.
                                  • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de

                                      Hi,

                                      Am Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2004 19:52 schrieb Bill Rosoman:

                                      > I have a Nvidia NV11 Geforce2 Go
                                      > I really want to see the LCD on the CRT.

                                      I also have the Geforce2 Go built in in my Inspiron 8200, and
                                      I'd like to have a CRT connected. Unfortunately, I had no
                                      succes until today.

                                      I created some pages in german language posted on

                                      www.linuxwiki.de/XF86Config

                                      Try the Twinview section.

                                      In short:

                                      Screen-Section

                                      Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
                                      Option "NoDDC" "1"

                                      to aviod the internal display to switch permanently to
                                      1024*768 but 1400*1050

                                      Section Screen

                                      Option "TwinView"
                                      Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "### - ###"
                                      Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "##-##"
                                      Option "MetaModes" "1400x1050,NULL;1024x768,1024x768"
                                      Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone" or "LeftOf" or
                                      "RightOf" or "Above" or "Below"
                                      Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, CRT"
                                      Option "NoDDC" "1"

                                      But when I connect my CRT, X doesn't start :( .

                                      If anyone can give some comments, it would be very fine.

                                      My config is included, thanks a lot.

                                      Gruß / regards

                                      ce

                                      # File generated by XFdrake.

                                      #
                                      # Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the
                                      format of
                                      # this file.
                                      #

                                      Section "Files"
                                      # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are
                                      concatenated together)
                                      # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server
                                      independent of
                                      # the X server to render fonts.
                                      FontPath "unix/:-1"
                                      EndSection

                                      Section "ServerFlags"
                                      #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution
                                      switching)
                                      #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
                                      AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if
                                      the mouse doesn't work
                                      EndSection

                                      Section "Module"
                                      Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
                                      Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
                                      Load "extmod"
                                      Load "type1"
                                      Load "freetype"
                                      Load "glx" # 3D layer
                                      EndSection

                                      Section "InputDevice"
                                      Identifier "Keyboard1"
                                      Driver "Keyboard"
                                      Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
                                      Option "XkbLayout" "de(nodeadkeys)"
                                      Option "XkbOptions" ""
                                      EndSection

                                      Section "InputDevice"
                                      Identifier "Mouse1"
                                      Driver "mouse"
                                      Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                                      Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
                                      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                                      EndSection

                                      Section "InputDevice"
                                      Identifier "Mouse2"
                                      Driver "mouse"
                                      Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
                                      Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
                                      EndSection

                                      Section "Monitor"
                                      Identifier "monitor1"
                                      VendorName "Generic"
                                      ModelName "Flat Panel 1400x1050"
                                      HorizSync 31.5-90
                                      VertRefresh 59-75

                                      # Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
                                      # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
                                      ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480
                                      488 494 563 -hsync -vsync

                                      # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
                                      # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
                                      ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576
                                      590 595 630

                                      # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
                                      ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576
                                      578 590 616
                                      # Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
                                      EndSection

                                      Section "Device"
                                      Identifier "device1"
                                      VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
                                      BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"
                                      Driver "nvidia"
                                      Option "DPMS"
                                      Option "NoLogo" "1"
                                      # Option "CrtcNumber" "1"
                                      EndSection

                                      Section "Screen"
                                      Identifier "screen1"
                                      Device "device1"
                                      Monitor "monitor1"
                                      DefaultColorDepth 24

                                      Subsection "Display"
                                      Depth 8
                                      Virtual 1400 1050
                                      EndSubsection

                                      Subsection "Display"
                                      Depth 15
                                      Virtual 1400 1050
                                      EndSubsection

                                      Subsection "Display"
                                      Depth 16
                                      Virtual 1400 1050
                                      EndSubsection

                                      Subsection "Display"
                                      Depth 24
                                      Virtual 1400 1050
                                      EndSubsection
                                      EndSection

                                      Section "ServerLayout"
                                      Identifier "layout1"
                                      InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
                                      InputDevice "Mouse2" "CorePointer"
                                      InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
                                      Screen "screen1"
                                      EndSection

                                    • Adrian Buss
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                                        Metro-x or something I think was what we used

                                        On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Daevid Vincent wrote:

                                        > look into xinerama.
                                        > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/
                                        > http://sourceforge.net/projects/xinerama
                                        >
                                        > As for "showing Windoze Freaks", um, dual monitors has worked pretty much
                                        > flawlessly since Win98 as plug and play, so I wouldn't gloat too much or you
                                        > may end up with egg on your face ;-). I did have dual monitors a long time
                                        > ago on Linux with some 3rd party X-window system (can't recall their name
                                        > anymore), but haven't attempted it with Xinerama -- however some of my
                                        > co-workers use it with success.
                                        >

                                        > Daevid Vincent
                                        > http://daevid.com
                                        >
                                        > ________________________________

                                        Adrian Buss - Senior Systems Administrator
                                        CIRA/ACEI - Canadian Internet Registration Authority http://www.cira.ca
                                        350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110 613-237-5335 ext. 239
                                        Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7S8 adrian.buss@...
                                      • Alexandre Tessier
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                                          Xinerama works very well with the nvidia driver.
                                          You should download and install the last driver:
                                          http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-5336.html
                                          and read the doc (where each option is explained).
                                          Search in the list for previous XF86Config posted.

                                          mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:

> [...]
                                          >
                                          > My config is included, thanks a lot.
                                          >

                                          > Gruß / regards
                                          >

                                          > ce
                                          >

                                          > # File generated by XFdrake.
                                          >
                                          > #
                                          > # Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the
                                          > format of
                                          > # this file.
                                          > #
                                          >
                                          > Section "Files"
                                          > # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are
                                          > concatenated together)
                                          > # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server
                                          > independent of
                                          > # the X server to render fonts.
                                          > FontPath "unix/:-1"
                                          > EndSection
                                          >
                                          > Section "ServerFlags"
                                          > #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution
                                          > switching)
                                          > #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
                                          > AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if
                                          > the mouse doesn't work
                                          > EndSection
                                          >
                                          > Section "Module"
                                          > Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
                                          > Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
                                          > Load "extmod"
                                          > Load "type1"
                                          > Load "freetype"
                                          > Load "glx" # 3D layer
                                          > EndSection
                                          >
                                          > Section "InputDevice"
                                          > Identifier "Keyboard1"
                                          > Driver "Keyboard"
                                          > Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
                                          > Option "XkbLayout" "de(nodeadkeys)"
                                          > Option "XkbOptions" ""
                                          > EndSection
                                          >
                                          > Section "InputDevice"
                                          > Identifier "Mouse1"
                                          > Driver "mouse"
                                          > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                                          > Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
                                          > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                                          > EndSection
                                          >
                                          > Section "InputDevice"
                                          > Identifier "Mouse2"
                                          > Driver "mouse"
                                          > Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
                                          > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
                                          > EndSection
                                          >

                                          > Section "Monitor"
                                          > Identifier "monitor1"
                                          > VendorName "Generic"
                                          > ModelName "Flat Panel 1400x1050"
                                          > HorizSync 31.5-90
                                          > VertRefresh 59-75
                                          >
                                          > # Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
                                          > # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
                                          > ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480
                                          > 488 494 563 -hsync -vsync
                                          >
                                          > # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
                                          > # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
                                          > ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576
                                          > 590 595 630
                                          >
                                          > # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
                                          > ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576
                                          > 578 590 616
                                          > # Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
                                          > EndSection
                                          >
                                          > Section "Device"
                                          > Identifier "device1"
                                          > VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
                                          > BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

                                          http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                                          tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
                                        • Syntax
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                                            I getting Fedora in a few days in the mail:)

                                          • michael fivis
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                                              Do you not have a broadband connection?
                                              On Thursday 12 February 2004 19:02, Syntax wrote:
                                              > I getting Fedora  in a few days in the mail:)
                                              >
                                              > > I try to install Morphix. It is a live cd (you can run
                                              > > it from a cd without installation) base on knoppix and
                                              > > debian. There is an option to intall morphix on the hd
                                              > > ant is really easy to use. The problem is that it
                                              > > doesn't install lilo correctly.
                                              > >
                                              > > The reason I want to use morphix is that it is really
                                              > > good recognicing hardware and my wirless card works
                                              > > with no configuration. I make it work on fedora, but
                                              > > Fedora don't have good multimedia support. I made it
                                              > > work with Mandrake 9.2 but it is to buggy. So I think
                                              > > I would go back to Mandrake 9.1 and compile the driver
                                              > > myself.
                                              > >
                                              > >  --- Syntax <hdcmodemjammer@y...> escribió: >
                                              > >
                                              > > > What linux you running on the laptop?

                                              > > > this problem with

                                              > > > boot/root partition, but have

                                              > > > reflecting lilo.

                                              > > > before

                                              > > > it.

                                              > > > cd at

                                              > > > windows

                                              > > > en Yahoo! Noticias.

                                              > > > email to:

                                              > > > Yahoo! Terms of
                                              > > > Service.

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • Douglas S. Oliver
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 12, 2004
                                                I used to have a problem similar to this with RedHat 7.2 when I would
                                                recompile my kernel on an old 486dx4. It was because I would forget to
                                                choose the correct processor. I.e. I would use the default pentium II
                                                rather than 386 or 486. Earlier RedHat versions had used 386 as the
                                                default. --d

                                                On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 15:23, Rafael Bonifaz wrote:
                                                > I just try to install morphix on my hd. When I
                                                > installed lilo I choose the MBR as I have done before
                                                > with any linux installation. The problem is then I
                                                > boot all I get is a screen with a lot of "99" on it.
                                                > What am I doing wrong?
                                                > Please help I can only use my laptop with a live cd at
                                                > the moment and I need to do flash homework on windows
                                                > and I cant access windows.

                                              • Rafael Bonifaz
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 13, 2004
                                                  I use fedora and it works find with all of my
                                                  hardware. The problem with fedora is that it doesn't
                                                  had a good multimedia support. You have to download a
                                                  patch to use mp3.