Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: OT: Linux Software RAID

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2004
      W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

      >I'm at a loss of what do do -- I have $50 of mail-in
      >rebates for this drive, that expire 30 days after
      >original purchase. But I don't think Best Buy will
      >take the box back if the UPC is cut out... any
      >thoughts? If they wouldn't accept it, is it worth
      >making a big deal about? I know to some of you $50 is
      >pocket change, but some of us poor college students
      >could eat for two months on that kind of money ;)

      I am not a formal student, but $50 is still a lot of money for me! Not
      even considering the money, when you buy something it should work or be
      replaced.

      First, use the utility that drive manufacturers usually supply to check
      their drives. If you confirm that the drive is bad, and if you haven't
      sent the rebate in, you could try exchanging the drive at the store
      where you bought it. They can't resell a bad drive anyway, so why would
      they care about the UPC being cut out? If you must push the issue, try
      it and they might give in. You are, after all, entitled to a functional
      product!

      If you can't return the drive, just contact the manufacturer and have
      the drive replaced under warranty. Sometimes they send out a
      replacement before they receive the bad drive.