Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Going somewhere different...

  • Paul Gratz
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
      Its one of those top down IT directives. They have the infrastructure to
      support the MS stuff but anything else is an unknown. If it was me I'd
      probably be really careful on this one if you don't know what you are
      doing, a company that makes a directive like that is probably stupid
      enough to fire someone over it if you "knowingly" violate it (you can
      play dumb if you haven't already asked but YMMV).

      When I worked at intel they used to be nazi's about that kind of stuff
      (although I did have a little clandestine linux mp3 server running under
      the radar for about a year). Later they changed policy and for the last
      two years all the engineers had linux boxes for design (with something
      like VNC to a winNT box for outlook mail :-P). Even in the later case I
      would have been up the creek if they found an unauthorized box I had
      root on, connected to their network.

      The bottom line is be careful, some companies can be
      conservative/paranoid on this type of stuff.
      Paul