Update: If you have an Inspiron 1100 Please read.

  • cheezefist
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
      A Gentleman from Dell contacted me today to let me know that they were
      going to try and get another version of VBIOS in an upcoming release
      of the BIOS for the 1100.

      They said the new BIOS image should correct that one issue.

      I'll update the group here again when I have word that the new BIOS is
      available.

      -Cheezefist

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
      > I know what a pain it was for this BIOS upgrade to break video support
      > (I was in the middle of my exams when I upgraded). However, I'm
      > wondering if it's more the fault of Intel not releasing the I845G specs
      > to XFree86 people that is causing the problems. And they made the major
      > changes to the 2980 video BIOS in the first place. XFree86 v4.4 will
      > (should) support the new 2980 Intel video BIOS fine, it's just that we
      > upgraded our BIOSes a little ahead of them supporting the new BIOS.
      >
      > I'm not really sure where the fault lies (I'm no programmer), but I
      am a
      > little more hesitant to lump the blame squarely on Dell than I
      > originally was.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Damien
    • cheezefist
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
        Damien,

        I agree that intel deserves blame for their part. What was really
        getting to me is that for as much as Dell has control over the issue
        they could have corrected by changing the VBIOS image (one was
        available).

        But I know Dell is a good company so I was pretty confident that the
        issue would get resolved once someone high enough caught wind of this.

        I have to thank you personally for your website, without it a lot of
        us Inspiron 1100 users would have a much more difficult time running
        Linux.

        Thanks!

        -Cheezefist

        <dsolley@s...> wrote:
        > cheezefist wrote:
        > > I am currently working hard to pester Dell to resolve the BIOS issue
        > > with the Inspiron 1100 line. I would appreciate any and all help you
        > > can provide me.
        > >
        > > The basis of my argument to Dell is that the BIOS previously worked
        > > fine in version A06, and since changing to the A2x BIOS images it
        broke.

        > > In other words: Everything (regarding video memory) worked correctly
        > > in BIOS image A06, After upgrading to a BIOS image A2x what used to
        > > work (memory allocation) no longer works, thus it is broken and they
        > > (Dell) has a responsibility to fix it.
        > >
        > > I also pointed out to them that Intel, manufacturer of the graphics
        > > and chipsets has a solution on their site that states that video BIOS
        > > images are available to correct this problem, contact your manufacture
        > > and ask them for a new BIOS image with a working version of Intel's

        > > Video BIOS.
        > >
        > > Refer to: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/linux/graphics.htm
        > >
        > > Open a case and demand that they spin a rev of the BIOS that will
        > > correct this problem as per the Intel link above. Once you get a
        > > case/ticket number keep pestering them, try to e-mail Michael Dell,
        > > and other executives and politely encourage them to do the right
        > > thing. Make sure you include your case/ticket number in your e-mails
        > > to the Dell executives.
        > >
        > > Linux users have for too long accepted the role of being 2nd class
        > > cyber-citizens. It is time for that to change.
        > >
        > > Please let's all make an effort to do this.
        > >
        > > -Cheezefist
        > >

        > I know what a pain it was for this BIOS upgrade to break video support
        > (I was in the middle of my exams when I upgraded). However, I'm
        > wondering if it's more the fault of Intel not releasing the I845G specs
        > to XFree86 people that is causing the problems. And they made the major
        > changes to the 2980 video BIOS in the first place. XFree86 v4.4 will
        > (should) support the new 2980 Intel video BIOS fine, it's just that we
        > upgraded our BIOSes a little ahead of them supporting the new BIOS.
        >
        > I'm not really sure where the fault lies (I'm no programmer), but I
        am a
        > little more hesitant to lump the blame squarely on Dell than I
        > originally was.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Damien
      • Damien Solley
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
          cheezefist wrote:
          > A Gentleman from Dell contacted me today to let me know that they were
          > going to try and get another version of VBIOS in an upcoming release
          > of the BIOS for the 1100.
          >
          > They said the new BIOS image should correct that one issue.
          >
          > I'll update the group here again when I have word that the new BIOS is
          > available.
          >
          > -Cheezefist

          That's good to hear, but who'll be the brave one to 'take the plunge'
          and test it with XFree86? :-)
          Last time I tried a video BIOS upgrade I got my fingers burnt, so I
          think I'll wait for some feedback on the next one.
          Regards
          Damien
        • Damien Solley
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
            cheezefist wrote:
            > PS> Do you work for Dell? (You don't have to answer that)

            Nope. However, I am interested in using Linux on the desktop and for
            mobile computing. So I guess the page is part hobby and part repayment
            to the online community for all the help I received when getting started
            with linux.
            Glad you find it useful,
            Damien
          • Exodus
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
              Thats great! I'll be the guinea pig once they release the one that is
              supposed to fix this problem and allow more video memory allocation

              > A Gentleman from Dell contacted me today to let me know that they were
              > going to try and get another version of VBIOS in an upcoming release
              > of the BIOS for the 1100.
              >
              > They said the new BIOS image should correct that one issue.
              >
              > I'll update the group here again when I have word that the new BIOS is
              > available.
              >
              > -Cheezefist
              >

              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
              > > I know what a pain it was for this BIOS upgrade to break video support
              > > (I was in the middle of my exams when I upgraded). However, I'm
              > > wondering if it's more the fault of Intel not releasing the I845G specs
              > > to XFree86 people that is causing the problems. And they made the major
              > > changes to the 2980 video BIOS in the first place. XFree86 v4.4 will
              > > (should) support the new 2980 Intel video BIOS fine, it's just that we
              > > upgraded our BIOSes a little ahead of them supporting the new BIOS.
              > >
              > > I'm not really sure where the fault lies (I'm no programmer), but I
              > am a
              > > little more hesitant to lump the blame squarely on Dell than I
              > > originally was.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > >
              > > Damien

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Duke A. Darrigo II
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
                Cheezefist,

                You took the words out of my mouth. Damien TY very much for that site , I
                know it has been a great resource for me getting linux up and running so
                that I can "play" now =). Thank you very much

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > Linux users have for too long accepted the role of being 2nd class
                > > > cyber-citizens. It is time for that to change.
                > > >
                > > > Please let's all make an effort to do this.
                > > >
                > > > -Cheezefist
                > > >

                > > I know what a pain it was for this BIOS upgrade to break video support
                > > (I was in the middle of my exams when I upgraded). However, I'm
                > > wondering if it's more the fault of Intel not releasing the I845G specs
                > > to XFree86 people that is causing the problems. And they made the major
                > > changes to the 2980 video BIOS in the first place. XFree86 v4.4 will
                > > (should) support the new 2980 Intel video BIOS fine, it's just that we
                > > upgraded our BIOSes a little ahead of them supporting the new BIOS.
                > >
                > > I'm not really sure where the fault lies (I'm no programmer), but I
                >am a
                > > little more hesitant to lump the blame squarely on Dell than I

                Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!