Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Newbie Help for Dell Inspiron 1100!

  • Exodus
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
      Nature
      Exodus writes:
      I am in the same boat you are. SuSE 9.0 Pro with an Inspiron 1100. If someone could figure out how to fix it it would be greatly appreciated. I'd even be willing to paypal them some money if they can solve this problem

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
        I don't use Suse but will try to help as I'm a long time Dell user
        (I8.1K) and have used a lot of distro's.

        What is the vga card that your machine is using as this will tell us
        what type of driver you will require.

        Marvin
        ---

      • Exodus
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
          I have an Inspiron 1100 with the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics
          Controller. I'm not sure what driver i'll need.

          ------------------------------------

        • Marvin Pierce
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
            I'll look this up and come back as I need some other info.
            ---

          • thelovesinministry
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
              Me, too the Intel i845GL...

            • TomGrimes@letu.edu
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
                > I have an Inspiron 1100 with the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics
                > Controller. I'm not sure what driver i'll need.

                XF86Config (use XFree86 version 4.3 or CVS) should have i810 as the
                module. You must make sure intel-agp (it might also appear as intel_agp)
                is loaded before X starts. (Note intel-agp depends on agpgart, it is not
                a replacement.) When X starts up, you can change the screen resolution
                pretty easily: remember to make sure the video RAM to 32 MB or more
                first. This procedure works in kernel 2.6.

                I didn't know about intel-agp when I used kernel 2.4, so the procedure
                above may not work. The procedure I used under 2.4 was more complicated,
                so wrote back if this doesn't work.

                -Tom Grimes

                IHS
              • Exodus
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
                  Tom,

                  Could you be a little more specific on how I go about ensuring that
                  intel-agp is loaded before X starts up?

                  -----------------------------------------------Original

                • TomGrimes@letu.edu
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 7, 2004
                    > Tom,
                    >
                    > Could you be a little more specific on how I go about ensuring that
                    > intel-agp is loaded before X starts up?

                    Sorry for the delayed response.

                    From a terminal, execute `lsmod`. That will show you all the modules
                    currently loaded. If there is a line that starts with "intel_agp", then
                    the module is already loaded and you probably only need to make sure the
                    video RAM and resolution are set high enough.

                    From this point on, I'm assuming you're using kernel 2.6 (check `uname
                    -r` if you're not sure). If "intel_agp" is not loaded, check to make sure
                    it is compiled. In RH, you could execute `locate intel-agp`. If
                    intel-agp.ko exists in the module path for your kernel, you can start
                    intel-agp manually by executing `modprobe intel-agp`. On my system, RH was
                    smart enough to figure out it needed to load it automatically after I
                    loaded it manually once.

                    If intel_agp.ko doesn't exist in your module path, recompile the kernel
                    and modules. The process of recompiling is not terribly difficult,
                    especially with kernel 2.6, but the specifics are beyond the scope of this
                    e-mail.

                    Check these things: if you still can't get it working, I can help you out
                    with more information. (And I'll be sure to respond sooner!)

                    -Tom Grimes

                    IHS
                  • Christopher TenHarmsel
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 13, 2004
                      AFAIK, with the display card in the 1100 (which is what I have as well)
                      you can't scale lower resolutions to the full screen. So for example,
                      if you have your resolution set to 800x600, it will only take up
                      800x600 pixels on the LCD, which isn't the full screen. You will need
                      to change the resolution to 1024x768 (which is full screen on the LCD
                      on the laptop).

                      In SuSe 9.0 you can do this:
                      YaST->Hardware->Graphics Card and Monitor->Change:
                      Specify Card: Intel i845
                      Specify "Dell 1024X Laptop Display Panel"
                      Specify only ONE resolution: 1024x768
                      Specify color depth: 24bit
                      Specify 3D Acceleration: Disabled

                      Hope that helps!