Newbie Help for Dell Inspiron 1100...

  • Mr & Mrs Thomas & Heather Love
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi. I'm a SuSE Linux newbie and although I am finding tons of information on my problem, I need someone to put it as simple as possible with a 1-2-3- step procedure that I will be able to follow. I haven't had enough experience with running config files, etc., so I am quite handicapped :).

      Here goes. We have a Dell Inspiron 1100 that doesn't allow us to change the amount of video RAM in the BIOS settings. So when we installed our SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro, everything was fine expect that it didn't know the monitor (knows it is Intel i845 for the display adaptor) and consequently we are stuck with a tiny screen that is just over half of the available size.

      Would it be possible for you to give me as simple as possible step-by-step procedure that I could run to make the program fill the whole available screen?

      Thanks for reading this.

      ---
    • Duke A. Darrigo II
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004

        I had the same problem on my Inspiron 1100. And I fixed it =)

        I would be more than happy to give you step by step instructions.

        But before I do, I was using RedHat 9 .. So I do not know if the results
        would be the same.

        Before I tell you though have you seen this page

        http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/#redhat_9_display

        That is what I followed. If you want I can go though that step by step. It
        worked for me. So up to you , I would be more than happy to list my steps if
        you want.

        >From: "Mr & Mrs Thomas & Heather Love" <thelovesinministry@...>
        >To: <linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [linux-dell-laptops] Newbie Help for Dell Inspiron 1100...
        >Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:49:42 -0400
        >
        >Hi. I'm a SuSE Linux newbie and although I am finding tons of information
        >on my problem, I need someone to put it as simple as possible with a 1-2-3-
        >step procedure that I will be able to follow. I haven't had enough
        >experience with running config files, etc., so I am quite handicapped :).
        >
        >Here goes. We have a Dell Inspiron 1100 that doesn't allow us to change the
        >amount of video RAM in the BIOS settings. So when we installed our SuSE
        >Linux 9.0 Pro, everything was fine expect that it didn't know the monitor
        >(knows it is Intel i845 for the display adaptor) and consequently we are
        >stuck with a tiny screen that is just over half of the available size.
        >
        >Would it be possible for you to give me as simple as possible step-by-step
        >procedure that I could run to make the program fill the whole available
        >screen?
        >
        >Thanks for reading this.
        >http://www.ywamconnect.com/sites/heds
        >

        >---

      • Exodus
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
          I've had Red Hat 9 before and had no problems. Thats why SuSE is getting me
          aggirvated. Red Hat worked fine but SuSE 9.0 Pro isnt.