Newbie Help for Dell Inspiron 1100!

  • Mr & Mrs Thomas & Heather Love
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
      Nature

      Hi. I'm a SuSE Linux newbie and although I am finding tons of information on my problem, I need someone to put it as simple as possible with a 1-2-3- step procedure that I will be able to follow. I haven't had enough experience with running config files, etc., so I am quite handicapped :).

      Here goes. We have a Dell Inspiron 1100 that doesn't allow us to change the amount of video RAM in the BIOS settings. So when we installed our SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro, everything was fine expect that it didn't know the monitor (knows it is Intel i845 for the display adaptor) and consequently we are stuck with a tiny screen that is just over half of the available size.

      Would it be possible for you to give me as simple as possible step-by-step procedure that I could run to make the program fill the whole available screen?

      Thanks for reading this.
      Know God to Make Him Known
      Thomas & Heather Love
      Administrators
      YWAM Barbados/GENESIS
      Youth With A Mission
      Thickett Plantation
      St. Philip, Barbados
      TheLovesinMinistry@...
      tel:
      fax:
      (246) 423-7496
      (246) 423-4164
      Signature powered by PlaxoWant a signature like this?
      Add me to your address book...

      ---

    • Exodus
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
        Nature
        Exodus writes:
        I am in the same boat you are. SuSE 9.0 Pro with an Inspiron 1100. If someone could figure out how to fix it it would be greatly appreciated. I'd even be willing to paypal them some money if they can solve this problem

[...]

      • Marvin Pierce
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
          I don't use Suse but will try to help as I'm a long time Dell user
          (I8.1K) and have used a lot of distro's.

          What is the vga card that your machine is using as this will tell us
          what type of driver you will require.

          Marvin
          ---

        • Exodus
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
            I have an Inspiron 1100 with the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics
            Controller. I'm not sure what driver i'll need.

            ------------------------------------

          • Marvin Pierce
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
              I'll look this up and come back as I need some other info.
              ---

            • thelovesinministry
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
                Me, too the Intel i845GL...

              • TomGrimes@letu.edu
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
                  > I have an Inspiron 1100 with the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics
                  > Controller. I'm not sure what driver i'll need.

                  XF86Config (use XFree86 version 4.3 or CVS) should have i810 as the
                  module. You must make sure intel-agp (it might also appear as intel_agp)
                  is loaded before X starts. (Note intel-agp depends on agpgart, it is not
                  a replacement.) When X starts up, you can change the screen resolution
                  pretty easily: remember to make sure the video RAM to 32 MB or more
                  first. This procedure works in kernel 2.6.

                  I didn't know about intel-agp when I used kernel 2.4, so the procedure
                  above may not work. The procedure I used under 2.4 was more complicated,
                  so wrote back if this doesn't work.

                  -Tom Grimes

                  IHS
                • Exodus
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
                    Tom,

                    Could you be a little more specific on how I go about ensuring that
                    intel-agp is loaded before X starts up?

                    -----------------------------------------------Original

                  • TomGrimes@letu.edu
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 7, 2004
                      > Tom,
                      >
                      > Could you be a little more specific on how I go about ensuring that
                      > intel-agp is loaded before X starts up?

                      Sorry for the delayed response.

                      From a terminal, execute `lsmod`. That will show you all the modules
                      currently loaded. If there is a line that starts with "intel_agp", then
                      the module is already loaded and you probably only need to make sure the
                      video RAM and resolution are set high enough.

                      From this point on, I'm assuming you're using kernel 2.6 (check `uname
                      -r` if you're not sure). If "intel_agp" is not loaded, check to make sure
                      it is compiled. In RH, you could execute `locate intel-agp`. If
                      intel-agp.ko exists in the module path for your kernel, you can start
                      intel-agp manually by executing `modprobe intel-agp`. On my system, RH was
                      smart enough to figure out it needed to load it automatically after I
                      loaded it manually once.

                      If intel_agp.ko doesn't exist in your module path, recompile the kernel
                      and modules. The process of recompiling is not terribly difficult,
                      especially with kernel 2.6, but the specifics are beyond the scope of this
                      e-mail.

                      Check these things: if you still can't get it working, I can help you out
                      with more information. (And I'll be sure to respond sooner!)

                      -Tom Grimes

                      IHS
                    • Christopher TenHarmsel
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 13, 2004
                        AFAIK, with the display card in the 1100 (which is what I have as well)
                        you can't scale lower resolutions to the full screen. So for example,
                        if you have your resolution set to 800x600, it will only take up
                        800x600 pixels on the LCD, which isn't the full screen. You will need
                        to change the resolution to 1024x768 (which is full screen on the LCD
                        on the laptop).

                        In SuSe 9.0 you can do this:
                        YaST->Hardware->Graphics Card and Monitor->Change:
                        Specify Card: Intel i845
                        Specify "Dell 1024X Laptop Display Panel"
                        Specify only ONE resolution: 1024x768
                        Specify color depth: 24bit
                        Specify 3D Acceleration: Disabled

                        Hope that helps!