Dell Truemobile 1150 problem

  • jorgy
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hello,

      I have a Dell Latitude C810 running RH9. I have added a Truemobile
      1150 pcmcia 802.11b card running the orinoco driver, connecting to a
      Netgear WG602 access point. I have had this combination for about a
      year, and thought that even though I do everything over ssh, I should
      tie things down a bit. I changed the default essid and gave the
      Netgear a static IP address, and I upgraded the firmware to 1.5.67.
      Everything worked fine for several days after these changes, but since
      yesterday, I've been seeing very poor performance (lag while typing,
      etc.) as well as the following in /var/adm/messages:

      Feb 2 13:38:07 martin kernel: eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
      Feb 2 13:38:08 martin kernel: eth1: New link status: Connected (0001)
      Feb 2 13:39:18 martin kernel: eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
      Feb 2 13:39:19 martin kernel: eth1: New link status: Connected (0001)
      Feb 2 13:40:10 martin kernel: eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
      Feb 2 13:40:12 martin kernel: eth1: New link status: Connected (0001)
      Feb 2 13:41:14 martin kernel: eth1: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
      Feb 2 13:41:15 martin kernel: eth1: New link status: Connected (0001)

      I swapped in another 1150 card, and the same thing happened. Is this
      the result of the changes on the access point? Or is there something
      else going on here? I'm not doing anything different in terms of the
      physical relationship of the access point to the wireless card.

      Any help would be appreciated, as well as pointers to other resources
      (mailing lists, etc.) that could also be helpful.

      Thanks,

      Eric
    • hfelton11
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        i dont have any really useful info, just a couple
        of anectdotal-type thoughts.

        1 - someone nearby moved in and has set
        up a wap that may be _competing_ for your
        airspace now. [i have dropouts when my
        neighbor fires up their computer/wap]

        2 - the router is now having to _calculate_
        information based on the non-pre-programmed-essid
        and this is causing it to _go slower_ and
        then drop-connections due to timeouts.
        [this is a wild-ass-guess, no data]

        3 - the new firmware has a memory-leak that
        is causing the router to have to reset.
        [also a wag, least-likely imho]

        there was an article in this-months nuts-n-volts
        which describes an experiment to pickup some
        of the stray em-radiation we live with every
        day - it was kinda interesting.

        good luck, h.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "jorgy" <jorgy@y...>