Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Grub.cfg Dell Inspiron 1100

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      hdc? That's usually the cdrom drive. It should probably be hda2 or hda3.

      hda2 /boot
      hda3 /

      --d

      On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 08:17, snakeeyes1100 wrote:
      > Wow, Damien thanks for all the help!
      >
      > I dont know if I know all of the infor you want.. but here it goes. Oh
      > also I can't boot into linux. All I can do at the grub gui is 'e' edit
      > my command for that particullar os.
      >
      > hdc2 /boot
      > hdc3 /
      >
      > I believe it is.... vmlinuz-2.4.20
      > I know this line is correct
      >
      > initrd /initrd-2.4.20-0.img
      >

      > Thanxs!
      >
      > -SnAkE
      >

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
      > <dsolley@s...> wrote:
      > > snakeeyes1100 wrote:
      > > > HI all,
      > > >
      > > > Well I got the kernel 2.6.1 compiled. But when I went to modify the
      > > > grub.cfg for this kernel I messed something up.
      > > >
      > > > I was wondering if someone who is running RH9 with either kernel (2.4)
      > > > or (2.6.1) would post thier grub.cfg so I can maybe try to get this
      > > > thing to boot int linux again =(
      > > >
      > > > Sheesh all this for a ethernet driver lol.. god i love being a noob
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > >
      > > If you tell us
      > > * your partition layout (what partition is / on, eg hdc3, is /boot on a
      > > separate partition?) and
      > > * your kernel image names (/boot/vmlinuz-2.XXXXX and /boot/initrd.XXXX)
      > > Then I'll make a grub.conf file for you and send it over.
      > > Regards
      > > Damien

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Damien Solley
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
        > hdc? That's usually the cdrom drive. It should probably be hda2 or hda3.
        >
        > hda2 /boot
        > hda3 /
        >
        > --d

        Not in the 1100. The HDD is set up as secondary master, with the CD set
        up at primary master. I'm not sure why Dell went with this, but it
        doesn't have any performance disadvantages.
        Regards
        Damien
      • Duke A. Darrigo II
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
          I was gonna ask why ;) lol...

          >From: Damien Solley <dsolley@...>
          >To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Grub.cfg Dell Inspiron 1100
          >Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:43:23 +1100
          >
          >Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
          > > hdc? That's usually the cdrom drive. It should probably be hda2 or hda3.
          > >
          > > hda2 /boot
          > > hda3 /
          > >
          > > --d
          >
          >Not in the 1100. The HDD is set up as secondary master, with the CD set
          >up at primary master. I'm not sure why Dell went with this, but it
          >doesn't have any performance disadvantages.
          >Regards
          >Damien

          Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!