Re: Inspiron 1100

  • Arctic Paintball Oy
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 2, 2004
      I have read the last few mails concerning inspiron 1100 thats been mailed
      to this list. I did this after i hade trouble i have had Suse 8.2 on my
      inspiron running 2.6.0_testx and 2.6.0 for many months without problems,
      suse has xfree 4.3.0-?something (cant remenber). I just didnt like Yast in
      the way i install software. So i wanted to try Gentoo. I have X-working
      but only i 8-bit mode. I get hard freezes of the machine after witch
      NOTHING works. In 8-bit mode no proiblemos (no freezes), but when i use
      xf86cfg to use another defaultmode i cant even get out of it without
      saving. Or the machine hardfreezes after i start kdm (and i see the
      login window).

      I have:

      2.6.1 kernel
      4.3.0-r3

      AGP support compiled in
      DRI as module((i830) but i get this even when module is not loaded)

      the chipset and the bios might be the culprit here i suppose, but i had no
      problems with 4.3.0 and 2.6.0 and same hardware and bios(a23) in Suse?!?!?

      Any ideas around this?

      BTW i have a prety basic XF86Config-file without synaptic specific
      options etc, and i have dri module in it also. Does anybody have a
      better solution than trying to drop features from X?

      Sometimes then i get out of xf86cfg i see and SIGILL message (from a
      X-module maybe?).

      thanks in advance
      Christian

    • Dustin C. Hatch
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 9, 2004
        I run Gentoo on my Dell Inspiron 1100 with the following (relavant) configuration:

        • Kernel 2.6.9-r1
          • VesaFB for framebuffer in console mode
          • vga=773 passed to the kernel at boot from GRUB
        • X.org 6.8.0
          • 1024×768 video resolution set in xorg.conf

        Jim wrote:

        I have the Inspiron 1100, and I would LOVez to put linux on it. That
        being said, I have tried a RedHat install, and I have used a LiveCD.
        (Knoppix) in each case, I get a small video screen in the middle
        instead of using the entire video display. What distro seems better
        suited for this make of laptop?

        Jim Gray