Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell Inspiron 1100 video eating up sys ram

  • Damien Solley
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
      snakeeyes1100 wrote:
      > Gotcha. Thanks D. Is upgrading to 2.6.1 worth it or should i just
      > stick with 2.4.22.
      >

      > Oh and one last question have you even hooked up a wireless card on
      > the Dell 1100? If so is there any hardware that runs good with linux
      > as opposed to others?

      Yep, if you can, go with a 11Mbs card, as you'll have less troubles.
      Check out www.linux-wlan.com where there is a compatibility list.
      Orinoco based cards seem to be the best (I got a Netgear MA401 11Mbs
      that works well.)
      For 54Mbs cards check out www.prism54.org for a good list.
      Regards
      Damien
    • Guille -bisho-
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
        > yes it was a pain, but it IS an excellent piece of software. easy for any type
        > of user.
        >
        > browser-based setup and basically just put in your windows driver CD and point
        > it to the CD. LED on my wifi card lit pretty much as I hit 'Okay'

        I have my broadcom 1300 with ndiswrapper, a GPL & free driver loader.

        http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

        --
        bisho! _ -=] 03/02/2004 [=-
        _ ^( ) _