Re: Dell Inspiron 1100 video eating up sys ram

  • snakeeyes1100
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1 1:44 PM
      Holy ____ you kidding me.. 20 bucks for the license. Dang there has to
      be something wrong with that.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, michael fivis
      <michaelfivis@v...> wrote:
      > Eh, just wanted to make sure you didn't get stuck in the toilet hole
      I'm in. I
      > received a TrueMobile 1300 as a gift, and subsequently had to buy a
      > DriverLoader license for 20 dollars to use it.
      >
      > On Sunday 01 February 2004 02:24 pm, snakeeyes1100 wrote:
      > > Wasnt going to go with a dell card... was just wondering if one brand
      > > is better than the other. Thanks Mike
      > >
      > > And RH 9 came with 2.4.24 =)
      > >

      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, michael fivis
      > >
      > > <michaelfivis@v...> wrote:
      > > > stay away with Dell's wifi cards. many use Broadcom chipsets which
      > >
      > > are not
      > >
      > > > technically open to Linux support. There are methods of doing it,
      > >
      > > but they
      > >
      > > > are no where near as sweet as native support.
      > > >
      > > > Also, if you decide to just stick around with 2.4 kernel branch
      as I

      > > have,
      > >
      > > > make sure to up yourself to 2.4.24 to patch up the superuser
      exploit.
      > > > Otherwise its a hazard.

      > > just clicked

      > > already

      > > percent

      > > It'll show

      > > the new

      > > everything in the

      > > ;-) But

      > > reused. My

      > > "free -m".

      Service.

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > <michael s. fivis>
    • Damien Solley
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1 1:47 PM
        snakeeyes1100 wrote:
        > Gotcha. Thanks D. Is upgrading to 2.6.1 worth it or should i just
        > stick with 2.4.22.
        >

        > Oh and one last question have you even hooked up a wireless card on
        > the Dell 1100? If so is there any hardware that runs good with linux
        > as opposed to others?

        Yep, if you can, go with a 11Mbs card, as you'll have less troubles.
        Check out www.linux-wlan.com where there is a compatibility list.
        Orinoco based cards seem to be the best (I got a Netgear MA401 11Mbs
        that works well.)
        For 54Mbs cards check out www.prism54.org for a good list.
        Regards
        Damien
      • michael fivis
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1 2:39 PM
          yes it was a pain, but it IS an excellent piece of software. easy for any type
          of user.

          browser-based setup and basically just put in your windows driver CD and point
          it to the CD. LED on my wifi card lit pretty much as I hit 'Okay'

          <michael s. fivis>
        • Guille -bisho-
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2 5:25 PM
            > yes it was a pain, but it IS an excellent piece of software. easy for any type
            > of user.
            >
            > browser-based setup and basically just put in your windows driver CD and point
            > it to the CD. LED on my wifi card lit pretty much as I hit 'Okay'

            I have my broadcom 1300 with ndiswrapper, a GPL & free driver loader.

            http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

            --
            bisho! _ -=] 03/02/2004 [=-
            _ ^( ) _