Re: Inspiron 1100 Alsa problem

  • salamanasar
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "salamanasar"
      <grenie04@g...> wrote:
      > I can't get this to work.
      > Fedora Core 1 with kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2
      > I'm using .config from ramdomnumbergenerator
      >
      > I've tried RPM, building from sources, all howto i found.
      > It never worked, alsaconf never find any sound card, kde always tell
      > me i can't write to /dev/dsp. simply no sound at all.
      > It's not hardware related the sound is perfect in XP.
      > Thanks for your help

      Writing this message i found the solution, i had Alsa compiled in
      kernel not in modules, made the changes and now it finally works.
    • Damien Solley
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        salamanasar wrote:
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "salamanasar"
        > <grenie04@g...> wrote:
        > > I can't get this to work.
        > > Fedora Core 1 with kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2
        > > I'm using .config from ramdomnumbergenerator
        > >
        > > I've tried RPM, building from sources, all howto i found.
        > > It never worked, alsaconf never find any sound card, kde always tell
        > > me i can't write to /dev/dsp. simply no sound at all.
        > > It's not hardware related the sound is perfect in XP.
        > > Thanks for your help
        >
        > Writing this message i found the solution, i had Alsa compiled in
        > kernel not in modules, made the changes and now it finally works.

        Hi Salamanasar
        I've only had problems with the ALSA drivers when I forget to load the
        appropriate modules. If you want to try them as modules, you need to do:
        modprobe snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss
        And try using the card. Also check that your username has permission to
        write to /dev/dsp.
        Regards
        Damien