Re: [linux-dell-laptops] OT: Linux Software RAID

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2004
      My own question was answered with patience and due
      time :)

      I love mdadm...

      --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...>

      =====
      Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
      There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
      Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
      Though down that road we've been so many times...
      - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • hfelton11
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
        howdee,

        i always appreciate your comments. just
        clarifying for my own knowledge - did you
        DO/LEARN anything else? or did it just
        _fix itself_ eventually?

        since ive never used mdadm, i looked at:
        http://www.linuxforum.com/man/mdadm.5.php

        it seems plausible that you just had to wait
        while the process got around to actually
        DOING the mirror onto the new drive. if so,
        then this seems like a really cool system.

        also, just for clarification - you were
        using 3 of the 4 ide drives like this?
        /dev/hda1 - failed original
        /dev/hdb1 - mirror that continued working
        /dev/hdc1 - new mirror after failure

        i obviously should get around to reading
        more about this. thanx for mentioning it...

        have fun, h.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"
        <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
        > My own question was answered with patience and due
        > time :)
        >
        > I love mdadm...
        >

        > --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Greetings all
        > >
        > > I have a software RAID1 set up on my linux server,
        > > for
        > > the sole purpose of providing redundancy. Well, it's
        > > good thing... earlier this week one of the drives
        > > failed.
        > >
        > > I picked up a new drive, put it in, and booted up...
        > > did 'mdadm -a /dev/md0 /dev/hdc1'. Everything seems
        > > go fine, 'cat /proc/mdstat' shows that that md0 is
        > > active with hdc1 and hdb1 running, and is in
        > > recovery... however, if I do 'mdadm -D /dev/md0' or
        > > 'lsraid -a /dev/md0' it shows what was previously
        > > /dev/hdc1 is "missing" according to lsraid and
        > > "faulty
        > > removed" by mdadm. Now both show /dev/hdc1 as a
        > > spare
        > > drive -- will this be put back into circulation once
        > > the rebuild is complete?

      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004
          Actually it seems to have broken itself again! WHEE!

          Monday night I'm sitting at my computer, and my server
          box starts making a clunking, and I figure it's just
          my techno that I'm listening to. But nope, on my
          server screen is a "mdadm: device failure on
          /dev/hdc1" message. I just bought this on Saturday,
          there's almost no way it can be the drive. I have it
          in a drive rack, so I'm guessing it's that or the
          cable, though the cable has worked fine for the DVD
          drive plugged into it (for the past two years). My
          other guess is a power supply problem, but 350w should
          be enough to power a Duron 900, with three hard drives
          and a DVD... right?

          =====
          Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
          There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
          Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
          Though down that road we've been so many times...
          - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
        • Steve Harris
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2004
            On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:52:07 -0800, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
            > Actually it seems to have broken itself again! WHEE!
            >
            > Monday night I'm sitting at my computer, and my server
            > box starts making a clunking, and I figure it's just
            > my techno that I'm listening to. But nope, on my
            > server screen is a "mdadm: device failure on
            > /dev/hdc1" message. I just bought this on Saturday,
            > there's almost no way it can be the drive. I have it

            As its the thing with the moving parts, early failure on the drive seems
            most likly.

            - Steve
          • W.K. Vladmir Ward
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
              --- Steve Harris <steve@...> wrote:
              > On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:52:07 -0800, W.K. Vladmir
              > Ward wrote:
              > > Actually it seems to have broken itself again!
              > WHEE!
              > >
              > > Monday night I'm sitting at my computer, and my
              > server
              > > box starts making a clunking, and I figure it's
              > just
              > > my techno that I'm listening to. But nope, on my
              > > server screen is a "mdadm: device failure on
              > > /dev/hdc1" message. I just bought this on
              > Saturday,
              > > there's almost no way it can be the drive. I have
              > it
              >
              > As its the thing with the moving parts, early
              > failure on the drive seems
              > most likly.

              I'm at a loss of what do do -- I have $50 of mail-in
              rebates for this drive, that expire 30 days after
              original purchase. But I don't think Best Buy will
              take the box back if the UPC is cut out... any
              thoughts? If they wouldn't accept it, is it worth
              making a big deal about? I know to some of you $50 is
              pocket change, but some of us poor college students
              could eat for two months on that kind of money ;)

              =====
              Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
              There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
              Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
              Though down that road we've been so many times...
              - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
            • Paul
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2004
                W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                >I'm at a loss of what do do -- I have $50 of mail-in
                >rebates for this drive, that expire 30 days after
                >original purchase. But I don't think Best Buy will
                >take the box back if the UPC is cut out... any
                >thoughts? If they wouldn't accept it, is it worth
                >making a big deal about? I know to some of you $50 is
                >pocket change, but some of us poor college students
                >could eat for two months on that kind of money ;)

                I am not a formal student, but $50 is still a lot of money for me! Not
                even considering the money, when you buy something it should work or be
                replaced.

                First, use the utility that drive manufacturers usually supply to check
                their drives. If you confirm that the drive is bad, and if you haven't
                sent the rebate in, you could try exchanging the drive at the store
                where you bought it. They can't resell a bad drive anyway, so why would
                they care about the UPC being cut out? If you must push the issue, try
                it and they might give in. You are, after all, entitled to a functional
                product!

                If you can't return the drive, just contact the manufacturer and have
                the drive replaced under warranty. Sometimes they send out a
                replacement before they receive the bad drive.