Re: Dell Inspiron 1100 video eating up sys ram

  • snakeeyes1100
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
      Gotcha. Thanks D. Is upgrading to 2.6.1 worth it or should i just
      stick with 2.4.22.

      Oh and one last question have you even hooked up a wireless card on
      the Dell 1100? If so is there any hardware that runs good with linux
      as opposed to others?

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
      <dsolley@s...> wrote:
      > snakeeyes1100 wrote:
      > > Found the dir where my kernel sources were....
      > >
      > > I did a "make oldconfig" and then a "make xconfig"
      > >
      > > It then brought up a gui box to set different settings. I just clicked
      > > save and exit ( I think that in the config you did they were already
      > > set up?)
      > >
      > > Then did a "make dep"
      > >
      > > So that should be it right?
      > >
      > > I am hoping so.. because before this my mem usage was at 86 percent
      > > with NOTHING running =(
      > >
      > > Looks like its at about 48 now... is this about the norm?
      > >
      > > Thanxs
      > >
      > > SnAkE
      >
      > If you can, find and read a copy of the kernel-HOWTO online. It'll show
      > you the correct steps. But, in short:
      > "make oldconfig && make xconfig && make dep && make bzImage && \
      > make modules"
      > Then, as root do:
      > "make modules_install && cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage \
      > /boot/vmlinuz-2.VERSION "
      > Then add an entry to your grub.conf (or lilo equivalent) for the new
      > kernel. I don't build an initrd image, I just include everything in the
      > kernel image itself.
      > Finally, reboot into your new kernel.
      > Oh, and my memory usage stays around 100% on my 512MB laptop ;-) But
      > that's a good thing, as cached stuff will load faster when reused. My
      > actual program memory usage is much lower, check yours with "free -m".
      > Regards
      > Damien
    • michael fivis
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
        stay away with Dell's wifi cards. many use Broadcom chipsets which are not
        technically open to Linux support. There are methods of doing it, but they
        are no where near as sweet as native support.

        Also, if you decide to just stick around with 2.4 kernel branch as I have,
        make sure to up yourself to 2.4.24 to patch up the superuser exploit.
        Otherwise its a hazard.

        On Sunday 01 February 2004 10:11 am, snakeeyes1100 wrote:
        > Gotcha.  Thanks D. Is upgrading to 2.6.1 worth it or should i just
        > stick with 2.4.22
        >

        > Oh and one last question have you even hooked up a wireless card on
        > the Dell 1100? If so is there any hardware that runs good with linux
        > as opposed to others?
        >

        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
        >
        > <dsolley@s...> wrote:
        > > snakeeyes1100 wrote:
        > > > Found the dir where my kernel sources were....
        > > >
        > > > I did a "make oldconfig" and then a "make xconfig"
        > > >
        > > > It then brought up a gui box to set different settings. I just clicked
        > > > save and exit ( I think that in the config you did they were already
        > > > set up?)
        > > >
        > > > Then did a "make dep"
        > > >
        > > > So that should be it right?
        > > >
        > > > I am hoping so.. because before this my mem usage was at 86 percent
        > > > with NOTHING running =(
        > > >
        > > > Looks like its at about 48 now... is this about the norm?
        > > >
        > > > Thanxs
        > > >
        > > > SnAkE
        > >
        > > If you can, find and read a copy of the kernel-HOWTO online. It'll show
        > > you the correct steps. But, in short:
        > > "make oldconfig && make xconfig && make dep && make bzImage && \
        > > make modules"
        > > Then, as root do:
        > > "make modules_install && cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage \
        > > /boot/vmlinuz-2.VERSION "
        > > Then add an entry to your grub.conf (or lilo equivalent) for the new
        > > kernel. I don't build an initrd image, I just include everything in the
        > > kernel image itself.
        > > Finally, reboot into your new kernel.
        > > Oh, and my memory usage stays around 100% on my 512MB laptop ;-) But
        > > that's a good thing, as cached stuff will load faster when reused. My
        > > actual program memory usage is much lower, check yours with "free -m".
        > > Regards
        > > Damien

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • snakeeyes1100
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
          Wasnt going to go with a dell card... was just wondering if one brand
          is better than the other. Thanks Mike

          And RH 9 came with 2.4.24 =)

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, michael fivis

        • michael fivis
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
            Eh, just wanted to make sure you didn't get stuck in the toilet hole I'm in. I
            received a TrueMobile 1300 as a gift, and subsequently had to buy a
            DriverLoader license for 20 dollars to use it.

            <michael s. fivis>
          • snakeeyes1100
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
              Holy ____ you kidding me.. 20 bucks for the license. Dang there has to
              be something wrong with that.

              <michaelfivis@v...> wrote:
              > Eh, just wanted to make sure you didn't get stuck in the toilet hole
              I'm in. I
              > received a TrueMobile 1300 as a gift, and subsequently had to buy a
              > DriverLoader license for 20 dollars to use it.
              >
              > On Sunday 01 February 2004 02:24 pm, snakeeyes1100 wrote:
              > > Wasnt going to go with a dell card... was just wondering if one brand
              > > is better than the other. Thanks Mike
              > >
              > > And RH 9 came with 2.4.24 =)
              > >

              > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, michael fivis
              > >
              > > <michaelfivis@v...> wrote:
              > > > stay away with Dell's wifi cards. many use Broadcom chipsets which
              > >
              > > are not
              > >
              > > > technically open to Linux support. There are methods of doing it,
              > >
              > > but they
              > >
              > > > are no where near as sweet as native support.
              > > >
              > > > Also, if you decide to just stick around with 2.4 kernel branch
              as I

              > > have,
              > >
              > > > make sure to up yourself to 2.4.24 to patch up the superuser
              exploit.
              > > > Otherwise its a hazard.

              > > just clicked

              > > already

              > > percent

              > > It'll show

              > > the new

              > > everything in the

              > > ;-) But

              > > reused. My

              > > "free -m".

              Service.

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > <michael s. fivis>
            • Damien Solley
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                snakeeyes1100 wrote:
                > Gotcha. Thanks D. Is upgrading to 2.6.1 worth it or should i just
                > stick with 2.4.22.
                >

                > Oh and one last question have you even hooked up a wireless card on
                > the Dell 1100? If so is there any hardware that runs good with linux
                > as opposed to others?

                Yep, if you can, go with a 11Mbs card, as you'll have less troubles.
                Check out www.linux-wlan.com where there is a compatibility list.
                Orinoco based cards seem to be the best (I got a Netgear MA401 11Mbs
                that works well.)
                For 54Mbs cards check out www.prism54.org for a good list.
                Regards
                Damien
              • michael fivis
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                  yes it was a pain, but it IS an excellent piece of software. easy for any type
                  of user.

                  browser-based setup and basically just put in your windows driver CD and point
                  it to the CD. LED on my wifi card lit pretty much as I hit 'Okay'

                  <michael s. fivis>
                • Guille -bisho-
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
                    > yes it was a pain, but it IS an excellent piece of software. easy for any type
                    > of user.
                    >
                    > browser-based setup and basically just put in your windows driver CD and point
                    > it to the CD. LED on my wifi card lit pretty much as I hit 'Okay'

                    I have my broadcom 1300 with ndiswrapper, a GPL & free driver loader.

                    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

                    --
                    bisho! _ -=] 03/02/2004 [=-
                    _ ^( ) _