Dell Inspiron 1100 video eating up sys ram

  • snakeeyes1100
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
      I found the way to get around this here

      http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/#custom_kernel_2.4

      However I can't seem to be able to do this.

      (copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config and run "make oldconfig" then "make
      xconfig").

      the "make oldconfig" does not seem to work. I get this message

      --make: *** No rule to make target 'oldconfig'. Stop

      Any ideas?
    • Damien Solley
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
        snakeeyes1100 wrote:
        > I found the way to get around this here
        >
        > http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/#custom_kernel_2.4
        >
        > However I can't seem to be able to do this.
        >
        > (copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config and run "make oldconfig" then "make
        > xconfig").
        >
        > the "make oldconfig" does not seem to work. I get this message
        >
        > --make: *** No rule to make target 'oldconfig'. Stop
        >
        > Any ideas?

        This will only work if your kernel sources have been extracted into the
        folder /usr/src/linux/. Check that the folder contains a Makefile and
        several other directories. For example, doing an "ls" in mine shows:
        $ ls
        arch/
        COPYING
        CREDITS
        crypto/
        Documentation/
        drivers/
        fs/
        include/
        init/
        ipc/
        kernel/
        lib/
        MAINTAINERS
        Makefile
        mm/
        net/
        README
        REPORTING-BUGS
        Rules.make
        scripts/
        System.map
        vmlinux*

        I think your error is due to there being no sources in the folder you
        run "make oldconfig" in. If you have your kernel sources in a DIFFERENT
        folder, then you need to copy the .config file to THAT folder.
        Regards
        Damien
      • Duke A. Darrigo II
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
          Ok will do, but what exactly are Kernel Sources?

          >From: Damien Solley <dsolley@...>
          >To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell Inspiron 1100 video eating up sys
          >ram
          >Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:13:59 +1100
          >
          >snakeeyes1100 wrote:
          > > I found the way to get around this here
          > >
          > > http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/#custom_kernel_2.4
          > >
          > > However I can't seem to be able to do this.
          > >
          > > (copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config and run "make oldconfig" then "make
          > > xconfig").
          > >
          > > the "make oldconfig" does not seem to work. I get this message
          > >
          > > --make: *** No rule to make target 'oldconfig'. Stop
          > >
          > > Any ideas?
          >
          >This will only work if your kernel sources have been extracted into the
          >folder /usr/src/linux/. Check that the folder contains a Makefile and
          >several other directories. For example, doing an "ls" in mine shows:
          >$ ls
          >arch/
          >COPYING
          >CREDITS
          >crypto/
          >Documentation/
          >drivers/
          >fs/
          >include/
          >init/
          >ipc/
          >kernel/
          >lib/
          >MAINTAINERS
          >Makefile
          >mm/
          >net/
          >README
          >REPORTING-BUGS
          >Rules.make
          >scripts/
          >System.map
          >vmlinux*
          >
          >I think your error is due to there being no sources in the folder you
          >run "make oldconfig" in. If you have your kernel sources in a DIFFERENT
          >folder, then you need to copy the .config file to THAT folder.
          >Regards
          >Damien

          High-speed users�be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet
        • Damien Solley
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
            Duke A. Darrigo II wrote:
            > Ok will do, but what exactly are Kernel Sources?

            This is the actual program code for the kernel, written in C and
            distributed in a package named (in Redhat) kernel-source-2.4.2*. You
            need the kernel sources to a) compile your own kernel, with customised
            options or b) compile a module (eg BCM4400) for your running kernel.
            You can read more about the kernel by reading the kernel-HOWTO:
            http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/index.html
            Regards
            Damien
          • Damien Solley
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
              Duke A. Darrigo II wrote:
              > Ok will do, but what exactly are Kernel Sources?

              Sorry, you can't read about it at the link I sent, as the kernel-HOWTO
              page has been "removed for review". As an alternative, you could ask a
              geek friend :-)
              Regards
              Damien
            • snakeeyes1100
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
                Ahhh... things are starting to clear up ty D

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
                <dsolley@s...> wrote:
                > Duke A. Darrigo II wrote:
                > > Ok will do, but what exactly are Kernel Sources?
                > >

                > This is the actual program code for the kernel, written in C and
                > distributed in a package named (in Redhat) kernel-source-2.4.2*. You
                > need the kernel sources to a) compile your own kernel, with customised
                > options or b) compile a module (eg BCM4400) for your running kernel.
                > You can read more about the kernel by reading the kernel-HOWTO:
                > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/index.html
                > Regards
                > Damien
              • snakeeyes1100
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
                  Hope I just made one =P

                  <dsolley@s...> wrote:
                  > Duke A. Darrigo II wrote:
                  > > Ok will do, but what exactly are Kernel Sources?
                  >
                  > Sorry, you can't read about it at the link I sent, as the kernel-HOWTO
                  > page has been "removed for review". As an alternative, you could ask a
                  > geek friend :-)
                  > Regards
                  > Damien
                • snakeeyes1100
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
                    Found the dir where my kernel sources were....

                    I did a "make oldconfig" and then a "make xconfig"

                    It then brought up a gui box to set different settings. I just clicked
                    save and exit ( I think that in the config you did they were already
                    set up?)

                    Then did a "make dep"

                    So that should be it right?

                    I am hoping so.. because before this my mem usage was at 86 percent
                    with NOTHING running =(

                    Looks like its at about 48 now... is this about the norm?

                    Thanxs

                    SnAkE

                    <dsolley@s...> wrote:
                    > snakeeyes1100 wrote:
                    > > I found the way to get around this here
                    > >
                    > > http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/#custom_kernel_2.4
                    > >
                    > > However I can't seem to be able to do this.
                    > >
                    > > (copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config and run "make oldconfig" then "make
                    > > xconfig").
                    > >
                    > > the "make oldconfig" does not seem to work. I get this message
                    > >
                    > > --make: *** No rule to make target 'oldconfig'. Stop
                    > >
                    > > Any ideas?
                    >
                    > This will only work if your kernel sources have been extracted into the
                    > folder /usr/src/linux/. Check that the folder contains a Makefile and
                    > several other directories. For example, doing an "ls" in mine shows:
                    > $ ls
                    > arch/
                    > COPYING
                    > CREDITS
                    > crypto/
                    > Documentation/
                    > drivers/
                    > fs/
                    > include/
                    > init/
                    > ipc/
                    > kernel/
                    > lib/
                    > MAINTAINERS
                    > Makefile
                    > mm/
                    > net/
                    > README
                    > REPORTING-BUGS
                    > Rules.make
                    > scripts/
                    > System.map
                    > vmlinux*
                    >
                    > I think your error is due to there being no sources in the folder you
                    > run "make oldconfig" in. If you have your kernel sources in a DIFFERENT
                    > folder, then you need to copy the .config file to THAT folder.
                    > Regards
                    > Damien
                  • Damien Solley
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2004
                      snakeeyes1100 wrote:
                      > Found the dir where my kernel sources were....
                      >
                      > I did a "make oldconfig" and then a "make xconfig"
                      >
                      > It then brought up a gui box to set different settings. I just clicked
                      > save and exit ( I think that in the config you did they were already
                      > set up?)
                      >
                      > Then did a "make dep"
                      >
                      > So that should be it right?
                      >
                      > I am hoping so.. because before this my mem usage was at 86 percent
                      > with NOTHING running =(
                      >
                      > Looks like its at about 48 now... is this about the norm?
                      >
                      > Thanxs
                      >
                      > SnAkE

                      If you can, find and read a copy of the kernel-HOWTO online. It'll show
                      you the correct steps. But, in short:
                      "make oldconfig && make xconfig && make dep && make bzImage && \
                      make modules"
                      Then, as root do:
                      "make modules_install && cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage \
                      /boot/vmlinuz-2.VERSION "
                      Then add an entry to your grub.conf (or lilo equivalent) for the new
                      kernel. I don't build an initrd image, I just include everything in the
                      kernel image itself.
                      Finally, reboot into your new kernel.
                      Oh, and my memory usage stays around 100% on my 512MB laptop ;-) But
                      that's a good thing, as cached stuff will load faster when reused. My
                      actual program memory usage is much lower, check yours with "free -m".
                      Regards
                      Damien
                    • snakeeyes1100
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                        Gotcha. Thanks D. Is upgrading to 2.6.1 worth it or should i just
                        stick with 2.4.22.

                        Oh and one last question have you even hooked up a wireless card on
                        the Dell 1100? If so is there any hardware that runs good with linux
                        as opposed to others?

                        <dsolley@s...> wrote:
                        > snakeeyes1100 wrote:
                        > > Found the dir where my kernel sources were....
                        > >
                        > > I did a "make oldconfig" and then a "make xconfig"
                        > >
                        > > It then brought up a gui box to set different settings. I just clicked
                        > > save and exit ( I think that in the config you did they were already
                        > > set up?)
                        > >
                        > > Then did a "make dep"
                        > >
                        > > So that should be it right?
                        > >
                        > > I am hoping so.. because before this my mem usage was at 86 percent
                        > > with NOTHING running =(
                        > >
                        > > Looks like its at about 48 now... is this about the norm?
                        > >
                        > > Thanxs
                        > >
                        > > SnAkE
                        >
                        > If you can, find and read a copy of the kernel-HOWTO online. It'll show
                        > you the correct steps. But, in short:
                        > "make oldconfig && make xconfig && make dep && make bzImage && \
                        > make modules"
                        > Then, as root do:
                        > "make modules_install && cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage \
                        > /boot/vmlinuz-2.VERSION "
                        > Then add an entry to your grub.conf (or lilo equivalent) for the new
                        > kernel. I don't build an initrd image, I just include everything in the
                        > kernel image itself.
                        > Finally, reboot into your new kernel.
                        > Oh, and my memory usage stays around 100% on my 512MB laptop ;-) But
                        > that's a good thing, as cached stuff will load faster when reused. My
                        > actual program memory usage is much lower, check yours with "free -m".
                        > Regards
                        > Damien
                      • michael fivis
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                          stay away with Dell's wifi cards. many use Broadcom chipsets which are not
                          technically open to Linux support. There are methods of doing it, but they
                          are no where near as sweet as native support.

                          Also, if you decide to just stick around with 2.4 kernel branch as I have,
                          make sure to up yourself to 2.4.24 to patch up the superuser exploit.
                          Otherwise its a hazard.

                          On Sunday 01 February 2004 10:11 am, snakeeyes1100 wrote:
                          > Gotcha.  Thanks D. Is upgrading to 2.6.1 worth it or should i just
                          > stick with 2.4.22
                          >

                          > Oh and one last question have you even hooked up a wireless card on
                          > the Dell 1100? If so is there any hardware that runs good with linux
                          > as opposed to others?
                          >

                          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
                          >
                          > <dsolley@s...> wrote:
                          > > snakeeyes1100 wrote:
                          > > > Found the dir where my kernel sources were....
                          > > >
                          > > > I did a "make oldconfig" and then a "make xconfig"
                          > > >
                          > > > It then brought up a gui box to set different settings. I just clicked
                          > > > save and exit ( I think that in the config you did they were already
                          > > > set up?)
                          > > >
                          > > > Then did a "make dep"
                          > > >
                          > > > So that should be it right?
                          > > >
                          > > > I am hoping so.. because before this my mem usage was at 86 percent
                          > > > with NOTHING running =(
                          > > >
                          > > > Looks like its at about 48 now... is this about the norm?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanxs
                          > > >
                          > > > SnAkE
                          > >
                          > > If you can, find and read a copy of the kernel-HOWTO online. It'll show
                          > > you the correct steps. But, in short:
                          > > "make oldconfig && make xconfig && make dep && make bzImage && \
                          > > make modules"
                          > > Then, as root do:
                          > > "make modules_install && cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage \
                          > > /boot/vmlinuz-2.VERSION "
                          > > Then add an entry to your grub.conf (or lilo equivalent) for the new
                          > > kernel. I don't build an initrd image, I just include everything in the
                          > > kernel image itself.
                          > > Finally, reboot into your new kernel.
                          > > Oh, and my memory usage stays around 100% on my 512MB laptop ;-) But
                          > > that's a good thing, as cached stuff will load faster when reused. My
                          > > actual program memory usage is much lower, check yours with "free -m".
                          > > Regards
                          > > Damien

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • snakeeyes1100
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                            Wasnt going to go with a dell card... was just wondering if one brand
                            is better than the other. Thanks Mike

                            And RH 9 came with 2.4.24 =)

                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, michael fivis

                          • michael fivis
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                              Eh, just wanted to make sure you didn't get stuck in the toilet hole I'm in. I
                              received a TrueMobile 1300 as a gift, and subsequently had to buy a
                              DriverLoader license for 20 dollars to use it.

                              <michael s. fivis>
                            • snakeeyes1100
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                                Holy ____ you kidding me.. 20 bucks for the license. Dang there has to
                                be something wrong with that.

                                <michaelfivis@v...> wrote:
                                > Eh, just wanted to make sure you didn't get stuck in the toilet hole
                                I'm in. I
                                > received a TrueMobile 1300 as a gift, and subsequently had to buy a
                                > DriverLoader license for 20 dollars to use it.
                                >
                                > On Sunday 01 February 2004 02:24 pm, snakeeyes1100 wrote:
                                > > Wasnt going to go with a dell card... was just wondering if one brand
                                > > is better than the other. Thanks Mike
                                > >
                                > > And RH 9 came with 2.4.24 =)
                                > >

                                > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, michael fivis
                                > >
                                > > <michaelfivis@v...> wrote:
                                > > > stay away with Dell's wifi cards. many use Broadcom chipsets which
                                > >
                                > > are not
                                > >
                                > > > technically open to Linux support. There are methods of doing it,
                                > >
                                > > but they
                                > >
                                > > > are no where near as sweet as native support.
                                > > >
                                > > > Also, if you decide to just stick around with 2.4 kernel branch
                                as I

                                > > have,
                                > >
                                > > > make sure to up yourself to 2.4.24 to patch up the superuser
                                exploit.
                                > > > Otherwise its a hazard.

                                > > just clicked

                                > > already

                                > > percent

                                > > It'll show

                                > > the new

                                > > everything in the

                                > > ;-) But

                                > > reused. My

                                > > "free -m".

                                Service.

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                > <michael s. fivis>
                              • Damien Solley
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                                  snakeeyes1100 wrote:
                                  > Gotcha. Thanks D. Is upgrading to 2.6.1 worth it or should i just
                                  > stick with 2.4.22.
                                  >

                                  > Oh and one last question have you even hooked up a wireless card on
                                  > the Dell 1100? If so is there any hardware that runs good with linux
                                  > as opposed to others?

                                  Yep, if you can, go with a 11Mbs card, as you'll have less troubles.
                                  Check out www.linux-wlan.com where there is a compatibility list.
                                  Orinoco based cards seem to be the best (I got a Netgear MA401 11Mbs
                                  that works well.)
                                  For 54Mbs cards check out www.prism54.org for a good list.
                                  Regards
                                  Damien
                                • michael fivis
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
                                    yes it was a pain, but it IS an excellent piece of software. easy for any type
                                    of user.

                                    browser-based setup and basically just put in your windows driver CD and point
                                    it to the CD. LED on my wifi card lit pretty much as I hit 'Okay'

                                    <michael s. fivis>
                                  • Guille -bisho-
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
                                      > yes it was a pain, but it IS an excellent piece of software. easy for any type
                                      > of user.
                                      >
                                      > browser-based setup and basically just put in your windows driver CD and point
                                      > it to the CD. LED on my wifi card lit pretty much as I hit 'Okay'

                                      I have my broadcom 1300 with ndiswrapper, a GPL & free driver loader.

                                      http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

                                      --
                                      bisho! _ -=] 03/02/2004 [=-
                                      _ ^( ) _