Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell Inspiron 1100

  • Damien Solley
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
      snakeeyes1100 wrote:
      > I decided to upgrade my kernel to 2.6.1. This kernel susposedly has
      > the drivers for the broadcom ethernet card, so we will see if this
      > works, I will keep you all posted.
      >
      > Also is there anything I should know about this kernel and dell
      > inpiron 1100 laptops?

      Of course there is ;-)
      http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/index.html#custom_kernel_2.6
      You can use my .config file to configure your kernel. Note that the
      2.4.23 kernel also includes the broadcom b44 driver for the card.
      Regards
      Damien
    • Damien Solley
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
        snakeeyes1100 wrote:
        > Damien,
        >
        > That site is WONDERFULL. I used it many times setting up X. However
        > I am still confused on what you mean by kernel-sources package" and
        > having that installed to usr/src/linux
        >
        > Also "make sure gcc and make are installed"?
        >
        > I'm really sorry I know that this is probably a really easy answer,
        > but for someone who just started using linux 3 days ago I'm at a loss.
        >
        > I am currently using RH 9
        >
        > Thanks

        You need to start redhat-config-packages and install the "Kernel
        Development" and "Development" package sets from there, IIRC. That
        should set up your /usr/src/linux symbolic link, which is really just a
        link to the kernel sources at /usr/src/linux-2.4.20.XXX.XX (or whereever
        you install the sources to). Then you can configure the BCM4400 driver.
        Regards
        Damien
      • snakeeyes1100
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2004
          Ok I figured out how to setup my grub.cfg to boot to the 2.6 and the
          2.4 kernels =)

          However I have some things to figure out with the 2.6 lol

          Anyway I'm back in the 2.4 and really want to get the ethernet
          working, but I am still a little confused here on what you mean by

          "start redhat-config-packages and install the "Kernel
          > Development" and "Development" package sets from there, IIRC. That
          > should set up your /usr/src/linux symbolic link, which is really just a
          > link to the kernel sources at /usr/src/linux-2.4.20.XXX.XX (or
          whereever
          > you install the sources to). Then you can configure the BCM4400 driver."

          Anyway you might have time to chat on im?

          Thanx!
          SnAkE

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Damien Solley
          <dsolley@s...> wrote:
          > snakeeyes1100 wrote:
          > > Damien,
          > >
          > > That site is WONDERFULL. I used it many times setting up X. However
          > > I am still confused on what you mean by kernel-sources package" and
          > > having that installed to usr/src/linux
          > >
          > > Also "make sure gcc and make are installed"?
          > >
          > > I'm really sorry I know that this is probably a really easy answer,
          > > but for someone who just started using linux 3 days ago I'm at a loss.
          > >
          > > I am currently using RH 9
          > >
          > > Thanks
          >
          > You need to start redhat-config-packages and install the "Kernel
          > Development" and "Development" package sets from there, IIRC. That
          > should set up your /usr/src/linux symbolic link, which is really just a
          > link to the kernel sources at /usr/src/linux-2.4.20.XXX.XX (or
          whereever
          > you install the sources to). Then you can configure the BCM4400 driver.
          > Regards
          > Damien
        • snakeeyes1100
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 31, 2004
            Ahh I figured it out. The "developement" software made the "make"
            routine work perfect and RH now detects my broadcom4400

            Thanks a lot!

            Next.. Power Management lol >:)

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "snakeeyes1100"