infrared on Inspiron 4150

  • Spiros Kapetanakis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
      Hi all,

      I was just wondering, has anyone out there got their infrared port to
      work under Linux on the Dell Inspiron 4150?

      Would I just be wasting my time if I tried to synchronise my Palm Pilot
      (IIIxe with PalmOS 4.1) with Linux? I use Debian and kernel 2.4.19 but
      an upgrade is planned now that the 2.6 series is out.

      I've managed to get everything else to work on the laptop (except TV out
      and the winmodem as I haven't had time to fiddle) so it would be nice to
      have it all fully working. If I get infrared and the modem, I will even
      delete the mini 4GB M$ windows partition!

      Thanks.

      Spiros Kapetanakis
    • Pavel Akimov
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
        Hi Spiros:

        > I was just wondering, has anyone out there got their
        > infrared port to work under Linux on the Dell Inspiron 4150?

        I have not tried it myself as yet, so no help here. Sorry :)

        > I've managed to get everything else to work on the laptop
        > (except TV out and the winmodem as I haven't had time to
        > fiddle) so it would be nice to have it all fully working.

        I have an Inspiron 4150 with SuSE 8.2.
        The graphic card is ATI Radeon Mobility 7500.
        The modem is ActionTec 56k winmodem.

        TV out and modem are working fine for me under linux.

        -- as to the TV out, you might find useful to take
        a look at the `atitvout' project.

        -- as to the modem, drivers from www.linuxant.com
        work for me.

        Good luck,
        Pavel
      • Paul V. Gratz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
          Just FYI, I've recently found that for TV output on radeon mobility
          based chips, the gatos project seems to work better than the atitvout
          stuff. The site is:
          http://gatos.sourceforge.net/
          Paul

          On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 12:43, Pavel Akimov wrote:
          > Hi Spiros:
          >
          > > I was just wondering, has anyone out there got their
          > > infrared port to work under Linux on the Dell Inspiron 4150?
          >
          > I have not tried it myself as yet, so no help here. Sorry :)
          >

          > > I've managed to get everything else to work on the laptop
          > > (except TV out and the winmodem as I haven't had time to
          > > fiddle) so it would be nice to have it all fully working.
          >
          > I have an Inspiron 4150 with SuSE 8.2.
          > The graphic card is ATI Radeon Mobility 7500.
          > The modem is ActionTec 56k winmodem.
          >
          > TV out and modem are working fine for me under linux.
          >
          > -- as to the TV out, you might find useful to take
          > a look at the `atitvout' project.
          >
          > -- as to the modem, drivers from www.linuxant.com
          > work for me.
          >
          > Good luck,
          > Pavel

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • yetanotherdrake
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
            Its all great that fellow 4150 users have set up their notebooks to
            work. As to myself, i haven't been able to. Is there a specific site
            you went to or have any of you written a quick How to i can follow?

            i went to linux-laptops but didn't prove to work too well for me.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V. Gratz"

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
              What is it specifically that doesn't work?

              Mention thesethings one at a time and we may be able (as a community) to
              help. I'm afraid I haven't had time to make a webpage for the setting up
              of the Inspiron 4150 with Debian, I just looked at what other people had
              done for their laptops (even if they were other models) and used that
              advice to set mine up.

              Spiros Kapetanakis

              yetanotherdrake wrote:
              > Its all great that fellow 4150 users have set up their notebooks to
              > work. As to myself, i haven't been able to. Is there a specific site
              > you went to or have any of you written a quick How to i can follow?
              >
              > i went to linux-laptops but didn't prove to work too well for me.
              >

              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V. Gratz"
              > <pgratz@g...> wrote:
              > > Just FYI, I've recently found that for TV output on radeon mobility
              > > based chips, the gatos project seems to work better than the
              > atitvout
              > > stuff. The site is:
              > > http://gatos.sourceforge.net/
              > > Paul
              > >
              > > On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 12:43, Pavel Akimov wrote:
              > > > Hi Spiros:

              > > > I have not tried it myself as yet, so no help here. Sorry :)

              > > > I have an Inspiron 4150 with SuSE 8.2.
              > > > The graphic card is ATI Radeon Mobility 7500.
              > > > The modem is ActionTec 56k winmodem.
              > > >
              > > > TV out and modem are working fine for me under linux.
              > > >
              > > > -- as to the TV out, you might find useful to take
              > > > a look at the `atitvout' project.
              > > >
              > > > -- as to the modem, drivers from www.linuxant.com
              > > > work for me.
              > > >
              > > > Good luck,
              > > > Pavel

              > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
              > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cva1ss5/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1708211820:HM/EXP=1075804034/A=1945637/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178397&partid=4116732>

            • Paul Gratz
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
                I just basically went through the instructions on the GATOS website
                (http://gatos.sourceforge.net) Where are you getting stuck?
                Paul