[linux-dell-laptops] Linux on a Dell Latitude CPt V466GT ?

  • russo@ian.pv.cnr.it
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 1999
      Hi all,

      I'm going to purchase a Dell Latitude CPt V466GT and I want to put
      Linux on it. Has anybody succeded?

      Thanks in advance

      Ale
    • ruff@chi.mti.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 1999
        russ-@... wrote:
        =228
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm going to purchase a Dell Latitude CPt V466GT and I want to put
        > Linux on it. Has anybody succeded?

        I just purchased one this week with the 12GB hard disk and 192MB RAM.
        I was able to load Caldera 2.3, but am having the following problems:

        *The 3COM 3CCFE575CT card is not recognized. However, it works fine if
        I pop in the 3com card that came with a Latitude CPt333GT that we
        received this spring: 3CCFE575BT. I expect that I will be able to get
        beyond this problem after I load the latest drivers from:

        http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/

        The release notes contain the following relevent information:

        [16-Dec-99] Version 3.1.7
        -- Fixed a bug in 3c575_cb "too much work in interrupt" handler.

        [20-Oct-99] Version 3.1.2
        -- Added 3CCFE575CT support to 3c575_cb driver.

        *The video hardware does not work seemlessly - to put it nicely. It
        seems that this is the most difficult part of any linux installation.
        Anyhow, there is alot of help out there to get the NeoMagic 2200
        working with compatible drivers. However, Red Hat funded a project
        with Precision Insight(http://www.precisioninsight.com) to get the
        Neomagic hardware supported, and this work was included in XF86free
        3.3.3. Well, 3.3.4-1 comes with Caldera 2.3. The chip still goes
        unrecognized during the installation. I can only get the LCD to work
        if I use an external monitor first, then bring the screen back to the
        LCD. As you can see, I have some more work to do. I am being
        persistant to get the neomagic driver to work because I want to take
        advantage of the hardware acceleration.

        *Overall, I feel comfortable that I will be able to get it all to work
        somehow. 3 other people in the office run Caldera 2.3 on their
        laptops, but of course, none of them had the new 3com card and they all
        installed the OS before the Neomagic specific drivers existed.

        *Also, some have posted that the RedHat distribution works out of the
        box better on this platform, but I have not gone that direction yet.

        The following links came recommened by others in this office and have
        been very useful:

        http://www.searchlinux.com/cgi-perl/messageview.pl?midx=243525&tidx=101
        0971&
        page=4

        http://www.radcyberzine.com/linux/linux-dell.html
        ..or this one..
        http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

        Regards,
        Phil

        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Ale

      • Alessandro Russo
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 20, 1999
          ruf-@... wrote:
          > *The video hardware does not work seemlessly - to put it nicely. It
          > seems that this is the most difficult part of any linux installation.
          > Anyhow, there is alot of help out there to get the NeoMagic 2200...

          I got confused... I expect to have a ATI Mobility M1 64-bit
          Hardware-Accelerated 2X agp (32 bit), as written in the specs
          of the Dell latitude at

          http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/spec_latit_cpt_notebooks.htm

          Am I wrong?!?

          Thanks in advance,